Nursing problems..

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By *BabyMaMa*
  • 1 Post By Surrounded
  • 1 Post By Excited_mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 02:31 AM
1st time mom
So one of my nipples is pretty badly messed up thanks to latching on wrong. I tried to tough it out but I noticed that when she was feeding blood was coming from my nipple. So now I only nurse from one side), and I try to hand express from the other side but it has gotten really full, hard... And hand expressing doesn't seem to be enough. I'm thinking about getting out my pump and trying that while it heals but would that hurt as bad as nursing?

Also, how long does your little one nurse for? Sometimes she does good and goes for about 30-55 minutes at a time! But for the most part she wants to nurse for 5-10 minutes and then she has to nurse a lot more often. I'm not sure why she does that. She nurses for a few minutes then falls into a sleep and I can't wake her up to nurse. So she wakes up 40 minutes later wanting to go again. It's exhausting to nurse that often.

It's taking me a while to get the hang of this mom thing but I'm doing my best and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
February 25th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
(Hugs)) nursing can be so frustrating sometimes especially this early. I suggest that you call la leche league or another lactation consultant first thing in the morning. If you are really committed to this, don't stop nursing, even on the side that hurts. It can take up to 6 weeks for your nipples to used to this. But call someone for help asap!

As for her falling asleep, unwrap her, change her diaper play with her feet (babies Hate that) make her a little uncomfortable so that she will stay awake to eat. My first dd took an hour to nurse. My 2nd took 20 mind. This guy takes at least an hour. Hang in there. They love to sleep right now but as they get older they become more efficient eaters.

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
February 25th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I can't help with the engorgement and hurt nipple but I agree with changing diapers, unwrapping, undressing and playing with feet to wake her up. My first would fall asleep during feeds and we were lucky to get her to drink an ounce for the first few weeks. If she took 2 ounces or more, it was a miracle. The nursery at the hospital told us to unswaddle and change diapers just before feeding to keep her awake.

I hope things get better for you. If it were me, I would probably pump the engorged breast some just to relieve the pressure, even if it hurt a lot. With the engorgement and bloody nipple, you could head toward mastitis if it's not taken care of pretty quick.

February 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would get some nipple cream, go see a LC to help with the latch issue, and yes pump or nurse an the sore side so you don't get mastsis wich was mentioned above. As your baby gets older they will be a lot less sleepy so that will probably help. The first few weeks with my first were the worst. I also had a bloody nipple with her. It was rough but I was glad I stuck with it. Good luck!

February 25th, 2013, 09:48 AM
*BabyMaMa*'s Avatar Kimber MaMa to Leah
I know a lot of people discourage it, but maybe try a nipple shield until it heals.
kellythayer85 likes this.

Feb 2012
February 26th, 2013, 10:47 AM
kellythayer85's Avatar Expecting our first
I had problems with latch as well, and started using a shield in the hospital with the help of the nursing consultant, so we still devoloped a good latch before we left, and it aloud my nipples to heal while still bfing, though they still hurt when nursing, it helped, I also started pumping as I got so engorged I could barley get the shield on and lo never had a chance at latching without the shield, they were so hard. He's now two weeks and I always offer bare breast before putting the shield on, and starting yesterday he just decided to nurse without it, and has been since. Keep at it, it gets better, ftm here and I wanted to give up, but I had planned to bf before even getting pregnant, so I made myself continue. It's so worth it!!!! Oh and I offer bottle some to without problems.

February 26th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Super Mommy
If you havn't tried them....gel nursing pads!!!!!!!! They are a god send
February 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
Lurking..you can put the gel pads in the freezer

February 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Super Mommy
Nipple cream before and after nursing. My LC in the hospital called is boob chapstick. That and she had me switch from cradle hold to the football hold. It has been a life saver especially since my LO does not pop off easily. I had a bloody one for a few days but doing all the cream helped. Just make sure you put a nursing pad in your bra so you don't ruin your bra.
February 27th, 2013, 06:09 AM
1st time mom
Well I am deffinately sticking with it! My milk has only come in on one side but I am pumping the other side a little extra to help it come in faster. But beeastfeeding has already gotten a bit easier. It's not perfect but it is deffinately getting easier. I find that if I nurse her more in the day time then she sleeps a little longer at night between feedings and the little extra sleep I got last night has made a huge difference for me today. When I am super tired breastfeeding just seems hard.. So now that I've had some rest I feel okay to keep going.
February 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It will definitely get easier. The first weeks are the hardest for bfing, for sure. I had many nights with my first where I would cry through each feeding and wanted to quit so bad. But I didn't have any formula in the house for that very reason or I might have quit. I am so glad I stuck with it. I don't think formula is the devil and don't think poorly of anyone who chooses to ff. I just really support bfing and want moms to get the most help they can with it when they really want to do it.

Mom to 4 beautiful kids! 3 on Earth and 1 in heaven. Our little girl, Matilda Hope had Down Syndrome. She was born with TMD, a disease that is like leukemia. She fought that and beat it. Then, she had liver failure. She beat that, too. On October 17, 2014 she had NEC, necrotizing enterocolitis. My baby went to Heaven on October 19, 2014. She lived exactly one month.
March 1st, 2013, 08:48 PM
Super Mommy
Nipple shields saved my boobs and brought out my inverted nipples.

Never going to forget my angels in heaven. Until we meet again my loves. Mommy loves you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search