Vitamin K

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Nyzira
  • 4 Post By ratladee
  • 1 Post By Rebelmommy
  • 1 Post By mamatomany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran
I was just curious if anyone completly opted out of Vitamin K? I know there were several home births. Do you get it from the pharmacy or just forgo it?
I went the oral route which if you have never done that it is 3 smaller doses spread out. After the first dose my baby got a tiny wee bit no big deal jaundice. I did some research and come to find out vitamin K is linked to jaundice.

I have the other 2 doses sitting in fridge and I just can't bring myself to give them to him. I have read the research for and against it. I am BFing and eat greens. I just don't know what to do. I figure if I hear some of your reasons for and against it, it might help me.
March 4th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
I'd rather deal with a little jaundice that can be cleared by putting the baby in sunlight for a little while than possibly having severe bleeding that I could have prevented with a little shot. Just my thought.
jeangeorge2742728 likes this.

March 4th, 2013, 07:36 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
I completely denied it. And omg he's still alive. I didn't cut up his genitals so there was no bleeding issue to be had.

March 5th, 2013, 01:31 AM
MiaVena's Avatar Proud Mommy
my baby got his shots from the hospital, because of the blood in his stool. Dont know, why it was there ... but now it has cleared out.
March 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM
jojow
I didn't give Lydia any vitamin K. She didn't get jaundiced at all.

Last edited by jojow; March 5th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
March 5th, 2013, 06:36 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
I gave it to savannah and I didn't know it was linked to jaundice but she was jaundice and had to be under the lights , not sure if I would of gave it to her if I knew that
March 5th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Creighton did not get it, but he had no jaundice and no issues with bleeding after his circumcision.
Sassalota likes this.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

March 5th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Super Mommy
I opted out. We had no bleeding issues. If we were going to circumcise we might have chosen to do it, but as we do not we skip the vitamin K.
Sassalota likes this.
March 5th, 2013, 11:57 AM
disturbedangel121's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to disturbedangel121 Send a message via MSN to disturbedangel121 Send a message via Yahoo to disturbedangel121
Jacob got it, he was circumcised and he ended up with mild jaundice that cleared up on it's own.

March 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassalota View Post
I was just curious if anyone completly opted out of Vitamin K? I know there were several home births. Do you get it from the pharmacy or just forgo it?
I went the oral route which if you have never done that it is 3 smaller doses spread out. After the first dose my baby got a tiny wee bit no big deal jaundice. I did some research and come to find out vitamin K is linked to jaundice.

I have the other 2 doses sitting in fridge and I just can't bring myself to give them to him. I have read the research for and against it. I am BFing and eat greens. I just don't know what to do. I figure if I hear some of your reasons for and against it, it might help me.
It's been a while since I initially did my research on this, but isn't this not an issue after a bit? I mean, I thought everyone agreed that infants fairly quickly have enough vitamin k naturally, it's just at birth that some are concerned? Anyway, if you've waited I would guess you've already passed the window where any baby would potentially need it anyway?
March 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know, I don't even know! I know DD1 got it but I don't recall with Clara. They never asked me so they either did it routinely or asked my husband. I would have agreed to it anyway.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
March 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think we were offered vitamin k at any of my births????

March 6th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymustard View Post
I don't think we were offered vitamin k at any of my births????
I don't know about other states but in California, they don't offer it, it's just automatically done unless you say not to.

All my kids got it at birth. Each of them were a little jaundiced but never enough to be treated with anythng other than some indirect sunlight.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
March 6th, 2013, 04:25 PM
cheezpoofs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I opted out with all of my children. I always thought there was an evolutionary reason for why newborns have lower levels of Vitamin K at birth.

March 6th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Mrs.Ajalele's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Mrs.Ajalele
Since we chose not to circ I didn't see the point... We opted out with DD as well.. I believe it is only the first week they are deficient in Vitamin K..

*Always loving and missing my best friend the mother of my beautiful Goddaughter **Marissa Sue** you are always in my heart Mar Mar!* Left this earth to go to Heaven June 22nd 2008*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search