Chapped skin and diaper rash

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 09:21 AM
1st time mom
So my baby girls skin looks chapped.. Like its shedding or something. Idk if its because of the body wash we used for her bath, or because her skin is just getting used to the outside world or what.. But I'm really not sure what to do about it. It's like that on her feet, on her hands, shoulders and tummy. Any one else have this happen? What do I do?

Also, baby already seems to have a diaper rash. Her bum is turning red. We tried destine cream but it hasn't helped at all. So I feel horrible at diaper changes. Any tips?
March 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Newborns peel after birth, some even before birth. One of my siblings was so overdue that they were peeling already when they came out.
My little girl has really sensitive skin and gets really red. None of the diaper creams help. What works best is cloth diapering. It really allows their skin to breath. I alternate cloth and disposables because I don't have enough cloth prefolds. The pa at my pediatricians office also recommended using target brand aquaphor. She said she uses it for her baby because it has the highest concentration of zinc. I've been using it and it really works well. Cloth diapering is definitely better than anything else but the aquaphor works pretty well too if you have to use disposables all the time.
March 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
jeangeorge2742728's Avatar Crazy Momma 2 seven
Boudreaux's Butt Paste, best in the world, had to use it on several of my kids works great and clears them up really fast.
Samuel (Sammy) Wesley 5-27-07
Kaitlynn Faith 6-11-08
MaryJean Hope 9-16-11
Ethan Curtis 02-06-13
March 7th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The peeling is totally normal. Don't bathe baby too often and you can put lotion on her after her bath. I like burt's bee's lotion. For the diaper rash, if you are breastfeeding, squirt some breastmilk on her bottom. It works better than anything you can buy but, aquaphor (I use target brand, too) works pretty well. I also like A&D.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
March 7th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Veteran
I like vasaline for butts. For real. It heals it in one app.
March 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
jojow
Yes, the peeling is totally normal. All my babies peeled, some worse than others. For diaper rash I use desitin.
March 7th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Nyzira's Avatar Just call me Bam.
Send a message via AIM to Nyzira
Rose is peeling. I don't do anything for it. I haven't had diaper rash on her but when Annabelle would get rashes I used either Boudreaux's or Grandma El's. Preventively, I don't use wipes unless they poop. If they're just wet then it's air dry or a warm, wet washcloth (no soap). When Annabelle got her first rash, I asked the pediatrician about it and she said the pH of baby's skin is at a level that protects them from urine. Using wipes all the time upsets the pH and allows for diaper rash and yeast infections.

March 7th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My babys skin is peeling too. I asked the pediatrician today, and he said it is normal because they spent so much time in the womb surrounded by fluid. He recommended that I not use creams/lotions until she is 3 weeks old. And even then to not use anything with dyes, scents, etc. I can't wait to use some lotion on her. I almost forgot-She is chapping really bad around her wrists and ankles, to the point where the skin is cracking, and he said I could use some vaseline on those areas.

Lily has had only one small diaper rash, and we have been using Target brand diaper rash cream, and that really helped. That is the only one we have purchased, we might try other brands in the future if she continues to have them.
March 7th, 2013, 03:01 PM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
my lil mans is peeling too..not too bad tho so weve just been putting some oil and lotion. He also has diaper rash a bit just have been using desitin.
March 8th, 2013, 04:54 AM
MiaVena's Avatar Proud Mommy
Steven had his skin peel too after birth and i used babe waterpaste or bepanthen creme on his bum ... light layer and only to the spots, where it seems red or sore... they have worked miracles.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search