Best bottles? And other questions about introducing the bottle

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry if this topic has already been posted!

I will be returning to work when my little one is 4 months old. So she will need to be drinking my breast milk from bottles at that time. So here are my ton of questions:

When is a good time to introduce the bottle? (I have read 5 weeks is a good time, if so, I need to start shopping/looking for bottles now)

When you introduce the bottle, do you still breastfeed too? Like 50% bottle, 50% breast? Or is it a more gradual introduction to the bottle? Does any of that create nipple confusion?

What brand of bottle is best for breastmilk?

What brand of storage bags are good?

Sorry for all the questions, I just realized my little one turns 4 weeks tomorrow, and if 5 weeks is when I should introduce the bottle, then I have a lot of things to learn about bottles, storage, pumping, etc. Also, would need to start my (online) shopping soon!
March 16th, 2013, 06:12 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When is a good time to introduce the bottle? (I have read 5 weeks is a good time, if so, I need to start shopping/looking for bottles now)

Really anytime. We face Clara her first bottle around 3 weeks.

When you introduce the bottle, do you still breastfeed too? Like 50% bottle, 50% breast? Or is it a more gradual introduction to the bottle? Does any of that create nipple confusion?

I don't give bottles often. Clara has only had 3 bottles total. From now on, she'll only get bottles when at daycare and I'll nurse at home. Remember every time you give a bottle, you have to pump.

What brand of bottle is best for breast milk?

You have to find the one that works best with your baby. I use the Playtex Ventaire bottles with the wide nipples and they've worked well with both my daughters. Also remember to only use the slow flow nipples.

What brand of storage bags are good?

I use the Lansinoh brand

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
March 16th, 2013, 07:08 PM
1st time mom
My doctor told me that if I will be bottle feeding when I go back to work then it would be a good idea to introduce the bottle around week 6, maybe a bottle a day (even though I will continue to breast feed) just so that she will accept the bottle when I do go to work. However, my little one is not even a month old and I have given her 3 bottles already and she took them fine and continues to breastfeed fine. I use tommy tippy bottles because nothing comes out unles she sucks and she seems to like it. Plus i like that they are pink. She didn't really like the madela bottle when I used it and that's what I have most of.
March 16th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have used lansinoh and medela bags. Both seem OK. I used breast flow bottles with dd1 and she did not like them. They di dn't work for us. I also tried Dr. Browns and she didn't particularly like them either and they hard several parts to wash. We ended up using even flow classic glass bottles with slow flow nipples. She liked them, finished every drop of milk and wasn't as gassy. We also used the evenflow classic plastic but she didn't seem to like them as much. She started taking some bottles as early as four weeks I think. It was because I had to go bra shopping because none of my bras fit from breastfeeding so it was an "emergency" but it really didn't cause nipple confusion. From then on I gave her a bottle here and there since I was supposed to go back to work.
March 17th, 2013, 07:17 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started a bottle this week. My OB had suggested that we start earlier -- 2 to 4 weeks -- with just a bottle a week -- b/c she had a hell of a time getting hers to adjust at 8 weeks. But for us, it's more of a sanity saver for mom since we have a nurse-around-the-clock kid at the moment. (I also needed to pump to deal with a blocked duct.) We used the little medela bottkes that fit on the pump. She sucked that down with frightening speed -- took down what took me two sessions to pump in about 5 minutes. No nipple confusion yet. She always prefers a soothing boob.
March 17th, 2013, 07:32 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ds didn't get a bottle until daycare. Oops. Luickily he adapted to it well. I plan to try in another month or so. My last two kiddos used ventaire but I might try tommy tippie this time. I freeze BM in lanish bags.

March 17th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the input! I think I will try it around 5-6 weeks then. She is very attached to me and loves nursing so she might not transition to the bottle well. I am glad that I do not have to feed her the bottle as frequently as I had first thought. I enjoy nursing, as it seems to be a great way to bond with my baby.
March 17th, 2013, 04:05 PM
calijk's Avatar First Time Mommy!
We've used tommee tippee which is good but comes out too slow, dr browns is good but we have to burp a lot more Bc it comes out faster. I want to try the playtex ventaire Bc I hear they are good too. It really just depends on the baby I think and I know u can buy different sized nipples for diff flow etc!

We use the medela bottles and 12 small bm bottles we got from the hospital..the bags we have just been using babies r us brand and the lansinoh ones..
March 17th, 2013, 09:25 PM
lisadlv's Avatar Veteran
We use the Mam anti colic because of the nipple. She had a bit of a problem when we got the ok to breastfeed since she had taken the bottle the first couple of weeks only. right now she has no problem taking either.
March 18th, 2013, 05:39 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I am doing both nursing and bottles, and started bottles at 3 weeks. I was lucky, my LO never has had any problems switching between the breast and bottle. She is 8 weeks now, and she only gets the breast before work, and once in the evening, but she'll nurse as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

I have Vent-aire and Playtex Nurser (with bags) bottles. Both offer slow flow nipples. MAKE SURE YOU GET SLOW FLOW! She chokes on rapid flow, because they are so much faster than breasts.

I like the Vent-air bottles because nothing is disposable, so I don't have to keep buying stuff. They OCCASIONALLY Leak. I once lost a whole bottle in her diaper bag, what a mess! Another time daycare had a whole bottle drain out in the frige, so I had to deliver an extra bottle from work, midday. Now I only use the playtex nursers for out of the house, and the vent-air at home.
March 18th, 2013, 06:19 AM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamermarie View Post
I am doing both nursing and bottles, and started bottles at 3 weeks. I was lucky, my LO never has had any problems switching between the breast and bottle. She is 8 weeks now, and she only gets the breast before work, and once in the evening, but she'll nurse as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

I have Vent-aire and Playtex Nurser (with bags) bottles. Both offer slow flow nipples. MAKE SURE YOU GET SLOW FLOW! She chokes on rapid flow, because they are so much faster than breasts.

I like the Vent-air bottles because nothing is disposable, so I don't have to keep buying stuff. They OCCASIONALLY Leak. I once lost a whole bottle in her diaper bag, what a mess! Another time daycare had a whole bottle drain out in the frige, so I had to deliver an extra bottle from work, midday. Now I only use the playtex nursers for out of the house, and the vent-air at home.
Try replacing the plastic piece at the bottom for leaking issues. I know you can buy them at babies r us. I had a couple bottles leak in the fridge but replacing the bottom piece solved the problem.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search