Feeding on demand

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rosiewells

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is everyone feeding on demand or are you on a feeding schedule?

I am still feeding on demand, and it may sound a little selfish, but I would like to get some chores and things done around the house. It is so difficult though because Lily eats about once an hour still. She just eats for about 5-10 minutes, and then comfort nurses. I am also worried about her sleeping habits. She mostly only falls asleep during nursing. Only a couple of times has she fallen asleep without nursing (usually this is when she wakes up from a nap very briefly, and then falls back asleep). I do not want her to become dependent on nursing to fall asleep. She also still cannot sleep without me holding her. Most of the times after she has fallen asleep nursing, and I put her down, she wakes right back up and cries to be with me. Our day consists mostly of her nursing, me putting her down, her waking back up crying, and me trying to comfort her back to sleep, then the only thing that comforts her is nursing. And of course I am a sucker for my baby crying so I of course will do anything to ensure she isn't crying. It is like one big loop over and over again. She does have her wakeful periods per day when she is awake and content just sitting in her bouncer or newborn napper. She is almost 6 weeks old now. Is it okay to start a feeding schedule, or do you think feeding on demand is a better idea? I am thinking to break some of these habits I will have to let her cry a little bit. I am just unsure if 6 weeks is too soon for all of this "scheduling" and sleep training stuff.
March 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM
1st time mom
My little one eats for just a few minutes and then just nurses to sleep also. The only time she eats a really good amount is if I give it to her through a bottle which I give her twice a day. But she also eats very often. I hadn't thought about her being dependent on nursing for sleep though.. She nurses to go to sleep all the time. But lately she has gotten a lot better about falling back to sleep on her own when she wakes up. I would also love to start a routine but I feel like, for me and my baby, it is too early. I will continue to feed on demand. I am curious what others have to say though because feeding on demand is very taxing when your little one eats every hour or hour and a half. I feel for you.

Also: I would love for my baby to sleep more than 2 hours at night between feedings so I can't offer any advice but I feel your pain.
March 31st, 2013, 10:40 PM
Super Mommy
Maggie will be 6 weeks tomorrow and eats every 2 hours when she is awake and every 4 hours when she is sleeping during the day. At night I feed her for the last time around 11 and the earliest she wakes up when she isn't in a growth spurt is 4 but has slept as late as 7. When she is ina growth spurt she wakes up every 4 hours even at night. Maggie likes to be held alot sometimes also but I wear her. Other than that I didn't work to put her on a schedule I just paid attention to when she was doing things. For example she likes to wake up and nurse first thing in the morning then get her diaper changed. Afterwards, she lies on my bed on a pillow and watches the world for about 10 minutes before falling asleep again. Once she wakes up from that she eats and if we are home she might have some bouncer time while watching me do dishes/laundry or watch her brothers play. She tends to go down for her long afternoon nap between 12 and 1 and will sleep to 3 or 4. For sleeping at night I swaddle her as tight as I can and put her in the swing though in the last few days she has happily gone to sleep in my lap or on dh's chest and then just placed in the swing with a blanket over her. If she wakes up I swaddle her and put her back.

For us it naturally worked out for her to eat every 2 hours and while I will nurse her extra frmo time to time my breasts give me painful trouble if I nurse too often. We thoroughly appreciate the pacifier. I just have to make sure whoever is holding her isn't sticking it in her mouth for the sake of it. I'll hold her in nursing position using the paci in place of me and if she needs the comfort that and holding her tight usually helps.
April 1st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
I feed on demand, and sometimes that means he eats every 2 hours Which stinks because I am pumping so he eats, then gets burped and changed then I spend 15 minutes pumping, which means the times he wants to eat every 2 hours by the time I am done he wants to eat again in about an hour I think I am going to start trying to hold him off to 3 hours because I have no time left for anything when he does that and my house ends up a giant mess with the kids home for Spring break now
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

April 2nd, 2013, 02:21 AM
Krysie's Avatar Regular
Well i used to have the same issues as in baby feeding 5-10mins and the sleeps and wakes within an hour..this was driving me nuts..he eventually started feeding for longer periods like 20mins and now has started to sleep for 2hr streches.. so i get to at least take breath.. this too is a prob but i fin that now that he is 10wks he has been sleeping for 4-5hrs at night but still 2hrs during the day so i try to do what i can when i can..needless to say the place is a bit messy but they its only the three of us (hubby + baby)so i dnt bother myself too much, i do get upset that hubby doesnt help me more but then he works long hours..
my guess is just feed on demand (to avoid tears and gas) and he/she will eventually grow it out as the tummy gets larger.. as for the sleeping thing i try to play with baby as much as possible during the day to keep him awake and then at nite i turn off the lights(i dont even leave in a night light) and i try to make as little noise as possible and get into bed with baby(we cosleep) so as to establish a pattern.oh and i never wake him to change him. i usually end up changing him b4 and a little after a feed.

April 2nd, 2013, 02:21 AM
Krysie's Avatar Regular
Well i used to have the same issues as in baby feeding 5-10mins and the sleeps and wakes within an hour..this was driving me nuts..he eventually started feeding for longer periods like 20mins and now has started to sleep for 2hr streches.. so i get to at least take breath.. this too is a prob but i fin that now that he is 10wks he has been sleeping for 4-5hrs at night but still 2hrs during the day so i try to do what i can when i can..needless to say the place is a bit messy but they its only the three of us (hubby + baby)so i dnt bother myself too much, i do get upset that hubby doesnt help me more but then he works long hours..
my guess is just feed on demand (to avoid tears and gas) and he/she will eventually grow it out as the tummy gets larger.. as for the sleeping thing i try to play with baby as much as possible during the day to keep him awake and then at nite i turn off the lights(i dont even leave in a night light) and i try to make as little noise as possible and get into bed with baby(we cosleep) so as to establish a pattern.oh and i never wake him to change him. i usually end up changing him b4 and a little after a feed.

April 2nd, 2013, 06:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the responses. The pacifier works only some of the time, if she is really really tired then she just accepts the pacifier. I tried the pacifier again today a few times, and she just wouldn't take it. I will keep trying it though. She usually accepts the pacifier if someone other than me gives it to her. I think she knows I have the breasts with the milk, and she knows those are way better than a pacifier, haha. I think things will just get better with time.
Surrounded likes this.
April 4th, 2013, 06:13 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
i feed on demand which means every 2 hours during the day and usually every 4-5 at night
April 4th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I feed on demand. I can't imagine denying food to a baby this young. I mean I could see delaying by 5-10 minutes IF she's trying to feed every hour, just so she can build up a little more hunger and hopefully eat more/stay fuller longer, but an actual 2/3 hour schedule where she'd be hungry all that time? Nope.

Baby girl born Feb 2013

April 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran
Someone suggested this book (CANT REMEMBER WHO SORRY) and I already complimented on it but I think you should check out the DVD for the Happiest Baby on the block. There are youtube videos for free.

I had all the same issues you did and it comes down to comfort for baby. Most babies need more 1 way of being reminded of the womb. For your baby she is using nursing and being held. The DVD shows you 5 things you can do that work. Seriously, I am not big on raising my kid by a book or DVD but I used to have to hold Joseph for 5 hours during the day for him to nap. The second I put him down he would cry. It was exhausting. Now he sleeps in his swing 3 hours in the afternoon and I can get stuff done. It is miracle.

He also used to snack all day that I never even put a shirt on. I just wore my bra as it was literally every 30 minutes. Now he can go up to 6 hours at night and usually 5 hours during the day. Now I have to make him eat cause my boobs hurts so bad.

Check out the youtube videos for it. Very simple techniques but they work!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search