Nipple Thrush.. Help

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Regular
I have ben breastfeeding my Lo really well and all has been going great until all of a sudden i had started to get a breakdown of the skin around the nipple and shooting pain up my breast during feeding and for about an hour after feeds.

I went to the child health nurse and she diagnosed me with nipple thrush even though baby has no sign of it we are both being treated for it.

I am hoping it will clear up really soon but in the mean time i am looking for any advice or pain relief from anyone who may have experienced this in the past. The pain is terrible and i have come to dreading feeding times but need to continue feeding her to keep my milk in.

Help!!
April 3rd, 2013, 08:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
((Hugs)) I have never had it but have heard gentian violet is a good treatment for it. I hope it passes soon for you.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
April 4th, 2013, 05:29 AM
BeamerMarie- Due Jan 2012
I snuck in from the Jan forum, we had thrush at about 3 weeks, and I was in a ton of pain. We did nystatin, it didn't work. Our doc wouldn't give us anything else at that point. I was no longer having pain, and LO was eating, so she said just to wait it out. Apparently diflucan is not recommended my many pediatricians. Anyway, we both started getting uncomfortable again, so we did one gentian violet treatment. I felt better, and she seemed to too! However, it didn't go away in her mouth, so we did a 3 day treatment.

It seems to be gone now.

Stop using Lanolin. I've read that it can lock in the moisture in your nipples and makes the perfect environment for thrush to flourish.

I honestly believe nothing will help with the pain but getting rid of the thrush.

Also, I've read if you leak at ALL onto your bra or shirt, you should sterilize it by washing as hot as possible. Yeast can live on the fabric, and you can keep giving it back to yourself.
April 4th, 2013, 05:58 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
i have never had it , but i hope you feel better soon
April 6th, 2013, 09:36 PM
Super Mommy
I feel like I am constantly doing battle with Thrush in my baby's mouth and on my nipples. When the pain hits sometimes I lean over the bed so they can hang and not get pushed against the bra. But really, there isn't anything to do for the pain but wait for it to pass. I have nystatin cream for me and Maggie has the liquid for her mouth and when I see it I treat it but I'm not sure if we just aren't getting rid of it completely or it keeps coming back.
April 6th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Super Mommy
One thing I do is put the lanolin on before she eats so her lips are not grabbing onto a dry breast. I find it helps reduce the initial pain quite a bit and then when she is done I wipe that off and will put on the nystatin cream along with neosporin+pain relief to treat it and reduce nipple pain after.

I understand the pain. It got where I cried at the thought of feeding her. If you don't do the gentian violet (I haven't tried it) and your dr won't give you a prescription for anything talk to the pediatrician. That is where I got mine from when my dr told me I just had strained milk ducts.
April 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I have it and it's getting into my ducts now. I've been on 2 antibiotics since he was born (once for a uti and another for mastitis). I told my doc I had thrush and they told me to do Lotrimin. I have Nystatin and it doesn't work, and it didn't work for me when I had it with DS1 either. It hasn't been fun. Gentian Violet isn't working for me but I do think it helped keep it at bay and not get into my ducts but I think once I got on my last round of antibiotics for the Mastitis there was nothing stopping it from going further.

Take probiotics.. more than the recommended dose. The full Gut Flora stuff is best but plain acidopholis (sp?) is fine. Vinegar rinses on your nips after every feeding and make sure you use vinegar in your wash on your bras and towels. Nothing really helps with the pain.. you got to get rid of it for the pain to go away. I just bought GSE (both the liquid and pills) and will be trying that and see how that works. Doc refuses to give me diflucan so I'm trying to battle this in other ways.

Don't use lanolin, it just traps the yeast and the yeast feeds off of it. Another option so that your breasts are not always dry is to get the Motherlove Diaper Rash & Thrush. Its about the same price as lanolin and the same oz (1oz jar). It's all natural and works good on babys diaper rashes and keeps your nipples moist without feeding the yeast. I bought mine on Amazon. A lot of people recommend APNO (All purpose nipple ointment) but it needs to be prescribed by your doc. My doc is very old fashioned so no luck for that on my end either. I need a new doc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search