baby food vs baby led weaning

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Sassalota
  • 1 Post By Excited_mommy
  • 1 Post By birdblue
  • 2 Post By ratladee
  • 2 Post By Sassalota
  • 1 Post By ratladee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When will you start solids? Do you plan to use baby food, or baby planned weaning?

We are still trying to decide between home made baby food, and baby led weaning.

(baby led weaning is not the same as weaning off breast feeding)

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
April 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Veteran
I will not do either. I forget the name of the diet I am going to do. It is more Paleo and has been studied by some hospitals in Washington State for having less allergies. I attended a conference about it a few years ago. The first food baby gets is meat and eggs at 6 months (this is largely different because traditional diets tell you to avoid eggs until a year). Then the veggies and you delay fruit and grains until they are almost a year, only I wont do any grains with Joseph probably ever if I can help it. I wont do any dairy either unless I can get raw milk when he is like 3 or so. I plan to breastfeed until he is at least 2. That is the plan...we will see how it actually goes.

I tried to find the name of the diet but can't (if anyone knows it please add it). I did find this article about Canada changing it's recommendations to avoid rice cereal as first food and do meat instead as there is more research to support that than rice cereal.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...by-first-food/

From the research that I do (I research grain free diets) cereal is not ever a good food for anyone let alone a baby and my genetics are largely intolerant of them so I am not going to give them to my baby. For thousands of years the first food baby got was meat (mom's would chew it up and then give it to baby) and there was less bowel diseases. My family has huge issues with bowel diseases so I need all the help I can get.
LuckyOne likes this.

Last edited by Sassalota; April 24th, 2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: added link
April 24th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't understand, are you giving it as whole items (baby led) or as baby food?

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
April 24th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Veteran
I think you can do either pureed meats or you can give them the whole meat if they can chew it.... I have several friends who have done the diet but I myself never have so I am not so sure. I guess it depends on the baby. I think baby led weaning is a good idea for some babies but I have seen many babies have texture issues and they have to start with the pureed. I also have seem some babies gum meat pretty well so I think it can work either way.
April 24th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I mash up our food or put it through a food mill. I don't buy babyfood. I start solids when they show an interestin my food like grabbing at my fork when I am eating. I guess I do a little bit of blw but not right at the beginning. It is scary to me to give them solid food when they first start eating. Both my girls first food was avocado.

Mom to 3 beautiful kids
Expecting our newest baby girl, diagnosed with Down Syndrome with Verifi, October 2014!
April 24th, 2013, 05:31 PM
1st time mom
I will be making our own baby food and of course not before she is 6 months old
dannimom likes this.
April 24th, 2013, 07:31 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan to make most, if not all of her food. Sam's first food was sweet potatoes, then bananas, then avocado. I intended to start with avocado. He was just shy of 6 months. Sam never cared for his food to be super mashed, but i did cut things small.

I also plan to breastfeed Abbey until she is 2. Sam was nursed for 26 and a halfish months.
dannimom likes this.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

April 24th, 2013, 09:11 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
A mix of both BLW and purees. I'd like to say I'm super mom and have the time to make baby food 100% of the time but I don't. Darn that full time job! BUT, I did plant a garden of veggies that should be ready for when Caleb is old enough I hope to puree those, go to farmer's markets, puree and freeze. And when he is 6 months I will do avocado, cooked egg yolks, and general BLW but those are the first foods. I don't do cereals either.

April 25th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not familiar with baby led weaning. (Maybe something I should look into!) I have heard that breast fed babies do not get a lot of iron. So we will probably first do iron fortified infant cereal around 5-6 months. Then after that probably bananas and avocados next. Not sure if I will be able to make all her food, but I will try.
April 25th, 2013, 07:54 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do baby led in that I wait until she shows signs of interest like opening mouth when she sees our food and stuff. I use baby food first but introduce solids shortly after and do a mix of baby food/solids.

DD1 showed interest at 5 months. Honestly though I'm in no hurry because its so much easier to just nurse than to add in feeding food.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
April 26th, 2013, 11:01 PM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I tried baby led weaning with DS1 and he just wanted to eat things whole. He wasn't very good at it. Since DS2 seems to be an eager eater I'm assuming he'd likely be the same. We will do homemade purees but probably not until a minimum of 7mos old. We're having some sensitivity issues from whatever I am eating that I have to figure out to know what we should avoid with him when we do start on solids.
April 27th, 2013, 06:11 AM
stephanieaehenley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to stephanieaehenley
i will be waiting till savannah shows interest in our food , i will do baby food probably around 5-6 months no cereal and i dont do the meats because i think its gross and i myself dont really eat meat, so she will get veggies for awhile and than fruits and i will do some table foods as well if she can chew them
April 28th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
We will make our own baby food, which basically just amounts to us running the food we are eating through a puree cycle. We won't start Creighton on them until he shows a profound interest (all of my children were ready to eat food by 6 months) although Creighton watches intently when you are eating now. I plan to continue to pump and give him breast milk until he is at least 1 year, and then probably longer, but I usually go with the flow so we wait and see what he wants when he wants it
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

April 29th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiewells View Post
I am not familiar with baby led weaning. (Maybe something I should look into!) I have heard that breast fed babies do not get a lot of iron. So we will probably first do iron fortified infant cereal around 5-6 months. Then after that probably bananas and avocados next. Not sure if I will be able to make all her food, but I will try.
Infants have all the iron they need up until 6 months of age. The reason why it's critical people not feed babies until 6 months is a thing called "Open Gut" the protein accepters in the tummy are big to allow the complex breastmilk proteins to come in a be digested. When things other than BM come into an open gut, the molecules cannot be broken down and thus get sent into the blood stream and that is where allergies come from. That's why it's imperitive. AS for showing an interest, babies show interest in all things around that age, it doesn't mean the interest should be given into yet. A good alternative is to let them play with a spoon while you eat.
rosiewells and Sassalota like this.

April 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratladee View Post
Infants have all the iron they need up until 6 months of age. The reason why it's critical people not feed babies until 6 months is a thing called "Open Gut" the protein accepters in the tummy are big to allow the complex breastmilk proteins to come in a be digested. When things other than BM come into an open gut, the molecules cannot be broken down and thus get sent into the blood stream and that is where allergies come from. That's why it's imperitive. AS for showing an interest, babies show interest in all things around that age, it doesn't mean the interest should be given into yet. A good alternative is to let them play with a spoon while you eat.
Thanks for sharing! Great info!
April 30th, 2013, 12:41 PM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
I will give him food when he is ready no earlier then 5 months! I made my own purees for all my kiddos so will do the same for connor :-)

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

May 4th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Super Mommy
I make all of the baby food. Sunday afternoon I typically make enough for the week. Just steam veggies and then I have a little manual grinder that also does the meats and fruits. Eggs are the first foods that we don't grind. We've always done the cereals to start but I don't think we will this time. As for when it will depend on Maggie. When she is really showing interest in our foods or, like my sons, starts trying to steal food off our plates we'll start introducing it little bites at a time.
May 5th, 2013, 07:57 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is definitely something I need to do some more reading about. (It's been overwhelming enough to get to this point.) Breastfeeding has been an ordeal to say the least, so while I'm eager to move past it I'd like to educate myself first about how exactly the transition might go and when she'll be ready for what. From off-hand reading and conversations, I really like the idea of babyfood simply being what we have for dinner, in a puree. But I realize that she'll likely start a little simpler. I don't have anything against cereals or grains, but somehow egg yolk, avocado, sweet potato, etc. seems more appealing. But again, I have to look into this.

There was an article maybe the NY Times (or an NPR show or did we discuss this here? My brain is pure mush. SIGH.) in which a study was done of when people start babies on solid food. And the most alarming parts for the doctors who did the study was the fact that many people indicated that "health care providers" (Broad term) told them they should start solids earlier that 6 months. (They went into why a formula/breast milk-only diet until 6 months was crucial, but...again...mush for brains over here.)
May 5th, 2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistletoe View Post
This is definitely something I need to do some more reading about. (It's been overwhelming enough to get to this point.) Breastfeeding has been an ordeal to say the least, so while I'm eager to move past it I'd like to educate myself first about how exactly the transition might go and when she'll be ready for what. From off-hand reading and conversations, I really like the idea of babyfood simply being what we have for dinner, in a puree. But I realize that she'll likely start a little simpler. I don't have anything against cereals or grains, but somehow egg yolk, avocado, sweet potato, etc. seems more appealing. But again, I have to look into this.

There was an article maybe the NY Times (or an NPR show or did we discuss this here? My brain is pure mush. SIGH.) in which a study was done of when people start babies on solid food. And the most alarming parts for the doctors who did the study was the fact that many people indicated that "health care providers" (Broad term) told them they should start solids earlier that 6 months. (They went into why a formula/breast milk-only diet until 6 months was crucial, but...again...mush for brains over here.)
You are making such a good point and I will be the first to say the advice of health practioners almost never matches the studies because there is so much lobbying that goes into the CDC and American pediatric Association and all those boards. I worked for WIC and it was our policy to give moms a box of cereal as soon as they turned 4 months even though studies show that is correlated with an increase in respiratory diseases...so why did we do this? The cereal and grain lobbyist spent a ton of money to get us to do that. So moms went away from WIC thinking they were always suppose to start babies on iron cereal at 4 months because WIC gave it to them. So yeah moral here...do your own research like you said.
ratladee and Rebelmommy like this.
May 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
That's precisly why I don't trust anything that is funded by the government. As far as I know they are all in bed with eachother, the government, CDC, FDA and any product that is mass produced for CHEAP.
Sassalota likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search