4 month sleep cycles--checking on bedtime routines

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Veteran
Anyone else notice that baby's sleep changed drastically at about week 16? All the sudden he would only nap for 30 minutes. I have been doing research and I guess their sleep patterns mature now. Everything I read says to put them on a earlier bedtime.

We were doing 10pm and he would sleep until 7.
Last night we did 8:30 and he slept until 8:30

I guess putting them to bed earlier can cause them to sleep longer as they are not overtired and "crashing".

Tonight we are doing the 7pm bedtime. We will see. It is interesting.

We are still swaddling, pacifying, and we use a crib rocker to get him to sleep and we lie by him (I a huge softy). After he gets used to this new bedtime, I want to wean off the pacifier. He does take naps without it so it should be doable.

Anyway tonight was the first time I have heard him cry for real in a long time (since the 6 week fussys). We are not doing cry it out but he was just mad because he wanted to be picked up.

I need some encouragement. What do the bedtime routines look like for you and times? My goal is by 6 months to be able to put him in his crib and have him fall asleep unassisted by me (just a swaddle and maybe some white noise).
June 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
mistletoe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I noticed just a few days ago--a day after I read about this 4-month regression thing--that she stopped easily falling into her morning nap. She's always been terrible about napping, but about a month ago, I finally got her into that one routine in the morning. As for the night, we're bound to be entering some ugly ground. We'll be returning home after a month abroad. That means jetlag. And since she absolutely HATED the infant bed I had here, she was sleeping in the other half of my big bed. Now she'll be returning to a new crib (need to buy that when I get home....what a slacker mom I am) in a room by herself with jetlag -- she might be so confused she'll just not bother with the sleep regression. Or maybe that will make it all the more impossible. We shall see in about a week. Wish me luck. (And if I figure out anything that works, I'll let you know.)
June 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Clara set her own bedtime around 2 months and started going down the same as our older daughter which is heavenly. Since then, she goes down around 730 and wakes about 7.

I did notice within the last couple weeks that she isn't napping as much throughout the day and enjoys being up and playing but she's not cranky so I'm okay with it.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
June 8th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would love, love, love to get my little one on a schedule. We have just been letting Lily sleep when she wants to sleep, and be awake when she wants to be awake. I will be returning to work at the end of this month, and a sleep schedule would be great.

As of right now, she always wakes up around 8am. She naps multiple times per day (Hmm Maybe I should keep track....) some naps are 20 minutes, and some are long, like an hour-2 hours. She finally is ready for bed-bed around midnight or 1 am. I think this mostly to do with me staying up late waiting for my husband to come home from work. He has been working late most of my maternity leave. He will run errands, go to dr's appointments with me, etc, in the mornings and get to work between 1-3pm. So by default he gets home late. So really, my schedule also needs to get switched around too. Maybe I can "wear out" my daughter somehow so she will go to bed earlier?
June 11th, 2013, 05:21 PM
1st time mom
We let Kylie go to bed when she gets tired. That's anywhere from 7:30-10pm. She is up for her morning bottle around 5 or 5:30 but then goes back to sleep till 7ish. Sometimes she sleeps through the entire night but other times she wakes once for a bottle. So it just depends on her day.
June 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
Creighton goes down to bed around 7:70-8:30 and generally will sleep until somewhere between 3:30 and 5:30 and then he takes a bottle and goes back to sleep until around 8 am. Although he only got up at 8 because I had to get him up to get kids to school and now it is summer and the past few days he slept until 9! I have noticed though that he is slowly losing his naps. he takes 1 around 11am for around 30-45 minutes and then a 20 minute one around 2-2:30 and then he sleeps from 4-5.
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

June 22nd, 2013, 08:04 AM
AndieP's Avatar Regular
You are right in thinking a baby's sleeping pattern changes at around this time. As a newborn they only experience deep sleep, but after 3-5 months, they start switching between light and deep cycles, like us adults!

In terms of a routine, it really varies, but usually around 4-5 naps a day is quite typical with a bedtime around 7pm.
June 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM
sarah*'s Avatar Loving My Piglets
As soon as connor turned 4 months my sleeping through the night baby vanished!! he used to go 7pm until 6am but now he goes 7pm till bout 12/1am then eats and then gets up again about 4/5am to eat again.

Sarah (27) married to Stuart (31)
together for 10.5 years married for 4.5 years.
mummy too....
Ryleigh (8yrs - April 24th 2006)
Rhianna (7yrs - June 7th 2007)
Lacey (6yrs - June 5th 2008)
Lucas (4yrs - April 26th 2010)
Connor (1yrs - February 15th 2013)

June 23rd, 2013, 10:34 AM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
Xander's never been a good napper. I'm lucky to get 20mins at a time. His bed time routine has been the same for awhile now with no real changes. He's going to bed around 9ish. Some nights are easier than others to get him down. He gets up around 2 to eat and then wants to cluster feed from 5 to 8am. It's been exhausting.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search