Traveling...who has done it?

Forum: February 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To February 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran
We are trying to plan our yearly vacation and we ruled out flying but looking at traveling by car 5-8 hours depending where we select. Who has traveled with their LOs. How did it go? Tips?
September 22nd, 2013, 02:13 PM
1st time mom
I took my little one on an 8 hour car ride to Kansas a couple months ago and she did great! We had to stop to feed her and change her diaper.. She didn't like having to get strapped back in her car seat but once she was there it was fine. Also, we used the bigger convertible car seat instead of the infant one and that helped a lot because it gave her more room.
Enjoy your trip.
October 2nd, 2013, 07:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have travelled the world with my little ones sometimes by plane, train, car, bus all modes of travel.

When are you looking to travel? I honestly found car the hardest. On train and plane I could hold babies in my arms when they got extra fussy.

Bring lots of different toys to distract when they get bored, plan out your route well so that you know where you can stop to change, and get out for little stretches. One parent may need sit in the back to give food, and keep occupied.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my wonderful Siggy!
October 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Super Mommy
I took DS to Texas (9 hour drive) at the end of July. We brought lots of toys and had a tv with baby movies. It really helped that my friend was with me and could move around in the van to keep him occupied. We are doing the same trip again at the end of the month. I am planning on getting him a convertible carseat before we go. He keeps trying to sit up in his infant seat and gets mad. I took many road trips when my other kids were little. As long as I stopped every once in awhile and had plenty to keep them occupied, they did fine. They actually spent most of the time sleeping.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
November 17th, 2013, 10:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My LO hates the being a carseat and the other one gets carsick so we don't do much traveling anymore! But when DD1 was younger we did do 12hr+ trips and we were okay just had to take a lot of breaks, took a ton of clothes, and toys. And when we got desperate and it was dark and we couldn't stop we resorted to movies. But she really just would start watching and then fall asleep.
We want to travel overseas but I just don't know how our lo would do on a plane.
November 30th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Mommytoeight2013's Avatar Super Mommy
We have traveled a few times with one travel being about 10 hours. Matthew did so much better than my other older kids. Lol!

January 11th, 2014, 11:16 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've travelled quite a bit with our kids. The longest drive we did was a 16 hour drive split up into 2 days with our oldest when she was around 18 months old. That was not fun because that's the hard age where they are not easily distracted.

We have flown a few times since the girls have been born and I find that to be a lot easier than driving.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
January 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM
MiaVena's Avatar Proud Mommy
only by ship. many times. first time, when steven was 2 months old.
February 9th, 2014, 08:21 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we have traveled 2800 miles each way by train and also done a 6 hour each way rv trip and 4 hour each way car ride. I know I"m not in the norm but I prefer driving trips when they are slightly older. It just seems easier because I can give them chunks of food to eat and toys to play with. She likes singing songs in the car at this point too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search