so much for feeling good. need help :(

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By EverLovely
  • 1 Post By Blieving4more
  • 1 Post By rachna
  • 1 Post By TaraJo29
  • 1 Post By JLNichols07
  • 1 Post By Glo72
  • 1 Post By ♥RainyLane

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
Mastitis help? You'd think with a 20 month old and being pregnant my biggest breast issue would be drying up. It's coming on pretty fast and I'm already pretty miserable. Suggestions? The last two times I just rode it out at home. I wasn't pregnant then though. I avoid antibiotics like the plague when not pregnant so that's not an option at this point. Thanks for whatever you've got to offer to help. At least my husband is home for the next week and a half...
July 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM
EverLovely's Avatar Veteran
I don't have any advice as I've never been there, but didn't want to read and not respond. I'm sorry you're dealing with that. Ouch.
♥RainyLane likes this.

July 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Blieving4more's Avatar ready 4 my miracle
Ouch. I had it with DS but was rushed to the hospital because i had no idea what it was and they gave me antibiotics there. It is so very painful. Wish i knew of some natural remedies but i didnt get a chance to try any. Hope you find relief soon.
♥RainyLane likes this.
July 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wish I could help. I don't know! Maybe check the breastfeeding board?
♥RainyLane likes this.
July 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, you should understand the difference between mastitis and a plugged duct. Do you know which you're dealing with? Plugged ducts can lead to mastitis if they don't get unplugged, but the 2 are not the same.

Mastitis is when there is a patch of pink skin on your breast (sometimes it's underneath so you might have to do some lifting and looking in the mirror to find out), a FEVER, and flu-like symptoms. You will start feeling very sick, and sometimes you feel like you're "getting the flu" before you even realize you're having a problem with your breast.

If you do have a fever, it's very important that you take antibiotics because mastitis can escalate quickly (like in hours) to a VERY high fever, which would be dangerous for baby and you... not to mention miserable. Your OB will definitely give you antibiotics that are safe while pregnant.

If you have no fever, but only a painful lump (or lumps) in the breast, then you can wait it out and try to get rid of it stat so you don't develop mastitis. The way you do that is nurse like crazy on that breast, keep it as empty as you can, take a HOT shower a few times a day and rub downward on the lump for several minutes (preferably while you're expressing milk by hand) as if you're trying to work out the clogged milk (which is exactly what you're doing). If you catch it before the infection sets in and keep working on it, never letting it get full, you should be able to get a handle on it.

Like I said, if you truly have or get mastitis (you get a fever), it would be a very bad idea to not see a doctor and get antibiotics right away. Your OB will see you for that and if you tell them you have a fever, a red patch on your breast, etc they will probably get you in that day. It's not something to mess around with.

If you start feeling sick while the duct is still plugged, you should suspect mastitis and check for a red patch or streaks on your breast.

I've had mastitis 4 times, in case you couldn't tell. Doh. I'm prone to getting plugged ducts because I produce way too much milk for a while after I have a baby. Mastitis is not fun and your fever can get high quickly if, for instance, you have a plugged duct and you don't nurse for 5 hours at night. So be careful until you get it unplugged.

Good luck!
♥RainyLane likes this.

[/url]

July 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
JLNichols07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never experienced this but I hope it goes away soon!
♥RainyLane likes this.

July 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
I have never had it . But praying for you that you will get better soon. Good luck to you and baby.
♥RainyLane likes this.

Jade-Lynn 8/20/2008

M/C 4/10

TTC #2 Hoping for a Rainbow baby!!!!
July 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
It's not red but out is painful and hard to the touch. Feels exactly like the last two times though I never went to the doctor for it. I have always gotten pretty high temps when I get sick in general so they don't really freak me out much. I don't know. Sensitive skin, had the chills and achey so took a hot shower and been having him nurse as much as I can get him to on that side. Having a smoothie for dinner because the thought of anything else makes me feel sick. Husband is getting epsom salts for the bath hoping it helps the aching. Watching my fever... I don't know... ugh...
July 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Fever down quite a bit, got some protein down. Broke down and took tylenol for my head. All considered I think I'm on track for hopefully this not lasting too long. Still super store all over and some fever but manageable. I think the fact that I could feel things potentially going bad and being proactive has helped. I'm actually really surprised I don't feel worse Doing absolutely nothing until I feel better and then some just to be safe. Thanks for the well wishes everyone
July 3rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds under control. You are luckier than I!! Glad you're feeling better.

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; July 3rd, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
July 3rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
Yeah so far so good. Went from just under 103 by ear to 100.something I'll take it Thanks for your response by the way I really appreciated it a lot.
TaraJo29 likes this.

Last edited by ♥RainyLane; July 3rd, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search