Planning for Christmas

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Irish_Wristwatch

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Cassani's Avatar Wendy (aka Prego-Hulk)
I'm considering a trampoline for my boys this year for Christmas, including safety pads and enclosure, but it makes me SO nervous. I knew a girl growing up that was only a few years older than me who broke her neck on a trampoline and her brain was deprived of oxygen for long enough to cause permanent brain damage, so she was quadriplegic AND altered mentally. Am I being too overprotective? The safety additions weren't available in the early 80s that are available now. I don't want to decide "hell no" because of pregnancy hormones, when I know the boys would be thrilled, and it would give the, something to do out of my hair when Macadamia gets here.

September 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I think that as long as you have the nets and each the boys rules for playing safely like

one person at a time
no playing without an adult watching them
no flips

it will be fine, i bet they will go nuts on christmas to see that gift! Like you said the safety feature they have now are nothing like the way they were in the 80s they are so much safer now
Ember Rose likes this.

September 9th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Veteran
My children have one and love it, and it is really good excerise for them. You just have to set the ground rules and make them follow them. I think we can all think of reasons to avoid toys like that, I was like that with my kids getting a 4-wheeler, but it has so far taught them responsability. We don't ever want our children to get hurt.
Bentleigh 3 years old
We lost our sweet baby Bailey at 5months along. Just to precious for earth.
Pregnant with our Rainbow babies, Twins!!! Due May 8th.
September 9th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Turtle Bay's Avatar Super Mommy
I think trampolines can be so much fun! But I'm also a nervous mom. Lol.

I remember looking up safety for a friend who was considering getting one and was shocked to read that trampolines are responsible for something like 90,000 ER visits a year. Of course this was a couple of years ago that I looked this up.

But I think just like with anything else, if safety is enforced the chance of injury has to be greatly reduced, right?

September 9th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think as long as you have rules in place you'll be fine. I've had friends who've been hurt on trampolines and it's always been because of overcrowding or jumping on it in the dark or they weren't supervised.
September 9th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Run_Kat_Run's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Run_Kat_Run
My mom's an ER nurse and has flat out refused to ever let me or my brothers ever have one. I can understand that they cause a lot of injuries though. My last experience on one was when I was 19, and I managed to give myself two black eyes (my knees hit my face!), a sprained neck, and a broken nose.

At any rate, ban flips.

September 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
As long as you have rules in place and they know them, I think they will love having a trampoline. I never had one as a kid and I always wanted one. My cousin had one and we had a BLAST on hers every time I was over there.

September 9th, 2012, 06:36 PM
mojo-risin's Avatar Super Mommy
We had one when we were growing up, but I am probably not going to get one for my kids. Overprotectiveness and all...

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggie!!

September 9th, 2012, 07:33 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had one growing up. No safety net either like they have today.

They can be dangerous though. I know a few times I would land funny on my neck.

I honestly wouldn't give it to my boys if I knew they were daredevils. My oldest is very cautious and I really wouldn't worry about him. Miles...I don't know, he likes to try stuff!!

I don't think you're being overprotective.

September 10th, 2012, 07:50 AM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My children have a trampoline and they absolutely love it! They are both very sensible on it so I don't really worry about them having an accident. I think so long as you have a few basic rules in place, such as no flips/tricks, no taking toys on the trampoline, only one at a time and no playing on it unless supervised by an adult then your boys should be fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search