vaccines

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran
for the baby...I have noticed that a few have already said they did not want to get them, or only a few of them. May I ask why? I am in no way trying to start an arguement, I am just wondering. I have felt that my children get sooo many shots during those first few years, but have never questioned my pedi advice on having them get all the shots.
Bentleigh 3 years old
We lost our sweet baby Bailey at 5months along. Just to precious for earth.
Pregnant with our Rainbow babies, Twins!!! Due May 8th.
September 9th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My husband has some allergies and then a ton of sensitivities, both food and medication. He specifically has an allergy to bactrim and other medications containing sulfur/sulfur derivatives so we're playing it safe. I won't completely not vax, but one shot at a time and none of the combo shots. If our child is sensitive to something or allergic I want to know about and be able to pinpoint exactly what it is. We've been in situations before where he's throwing up and it's so frustrating and scary to be like is it just a bug, is it routine food poisoning or did you consume something that doesn't agree with. I'm hoping to avoid that with the baby since DH is a little high strung about it.
September 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran
That is understandable. 2 of my 3 kids have seizures, and they have been after getting shots. I understand the body temp going up fast can cause them, but I have always wondered if the shots could of caused a reaction.
Bentleigh 3 years old
September 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
Some are also in the camp that they can cause Autism in children although studies have found no legitimate link between the 2 at all.

Vaccines & Autism: Controversy Persists, But Why?

We'll probably choose a modified schedule, although I'm not sure how that is going to work since our child will have an on-base provider.
mummy-juju likes this.

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12
September 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM
naalie's Avatar Co Host of the March DDC
We personally won't be vaccinating for several reasons. Though I completely respect that each parent has the CHOICE to vaccinate, we won't be. Here are just a few reasons why:

1. Vaccines still contain dangerous chemicals that are extremely dangerous to a newborn baby/young child-ex,
•Aluminum, a poison that can cause bone, bone marrow and brain degeneration.
•Animal cells from monkeys, dog kidneys, chickens, cows, and humans.
•Formaldehyde (embalming fluid), a known carcinogen.
•Polysorbate 80, known to cause infertility in female mice and testicular atrophy in male mice.
•Gelatin, from pigs and cows, known to cause anaphylactic reactions, is found in large quantities in the MMR, chickenpox and shingles vaccines.
•Monosodium glutamate (MSG) in inhaled flu vaccines, is known to cause metabolic disturbances (e.g. diabetes), seizures and other neurologic disorders.

one source: Vaccines: Get the Full Story - NaturalNews.com

2. We won't be vaccinating because the actual vaccine can suppress the baby's natural immune system (which would normally protect them, thus causing a worse response to the disease)
Source: Latest Vaccine Information to Help You With Your Vaccine Choices

3. Sometimes, the baby/child develops a side effect due to the content/potency of the vaccine that can cause irreversible damage to the baby/child.

Source: Dangerously Misguided Universal Infant Hepatitis B Vaccination Policy 10/12/02

4. Specific child/infant vaccines can actually cause nerve damage
source: History: Vaccine related nerve damage
1st.time.mama333 likes this.

~~~~
~~~~

September 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naalie View Post
We personally won't be vaccinating for several reasons. Though I completely respect that each parent has the CHOICE to vaccinate, we won't be. Here are just a few reasons why:

1. Vaccines still contain dangerous chemicals that are extremely dangerous to a newborn baby/young child-ex,
•Polysorbate 80, known to cause infertility in female mice and testicular atrophy in male mice.
•Gelatin, from pigs and cows, known to cause anaphylactic reactions, is found in large quantities in the MMR, chickenpox and shingles vaccines.
•Monosodium glutamate (MSG) in inhaled flu vaccines, is known to cause metabolic disturbances (e.g. diabetes), seizures and other neurologic disorders.

2. We won't be vaccinating because the actual vaccine can suppress the baby's natural immune system (which would normally protect them, thus causing a worse response to the disease)

3. Sometimes, the baby/child develops a side effect due to the content/potency of the vaccine that can cause irreversible damage to the baby/child.

Source: Dangerously Misguided Universal Infant Hepatitis B Vaccination Policy 10/12/02

Naalie, do you know if schools take children that aren't vaccinated? Or are you having to home school because of not vaccinating? Not trying to start anything, just curious if schools will even allow children who aren't vaccinated since I honestly have no clue.

September 9th, 2012, 04:33 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be but at a delayed schedule while they are still in infancy. I know there are still a lot of issues with vaccines but I see a bigger risk not having them. Here in Utah we've have had an outbreak of pertussis lately (whooping cough) a couple children have died and lots are getting really sick. The ones who are affected are the ones unvaccinated and lots have had to go in and get vaccinated once they have been infected. I know it seems there are lots of diseases that seem obsolete in the united states but I just don't think it is worth the risk. I know some people are really sensitive or allergic to vaccines and I can see not doing it in that case. That is just how I feel about it but I know there is so much that can be debated about this so it is tough to say if there is a right or wrong.
mummy-juju likes this.

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

September 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet.hun View Post
Naalie, do you know if schools take children that aren't vaccinated? Or are you having to home school because of not vaccinating? Not trying to start anything, just curious if schools will even allow children who aren't vaccinated since I honestly have no clue.
most (if not all) schools allow you to fill out a vaccine exempt form, and many allow you to be exempt on philosophical reasons (basically because you personally dont believe they are best), you can also be exempt for health or religious reasons
Ember Rose and naalie like this.

September 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
A*LOT*OF*HOPE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There are certain ones we will give on time(pertussis is one) and certain ones we will wait on. We also won't give the chicken pox vaccine, and will never do the flu shot, as those to me seem completely unnecessary.
naalie likes this.
September 9th, 2012, 04:55 PM
brandi6088's Avatar Super Mommy
I have always given my kids shots.. they have never had a prob with them.. i dunno my first sons dads mom was straight up mad at me for giving him shots but she was also mad that i didnt breast feed either... Its a choice.. My three year old pre school askeed for his shot records.. and definitally my oldest sons elementary had to have them.

Last edited by brandi6088; September 9th, 2012 at 04:59 PM.
September 9th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Legally, schools can't deny a child an education because the parent chooses not to expose their child to vaccines. Since it's a parent's choice, schools are required (by law) to respect that decision. They don't like it, but are required to respect it.

Usually, there is a form you fill out called an exemption and then there's no problem with any schools. Again, it all goes back to parent choice. Above all, I respect a parent's choice to choose what they believe is best for their child and their home situation. No one has the right to look down on you because you choose to vaccinate OR if you choose not to.
brandi6088 likes this.

~~~~
~~~~

September 9th, 2012, 05:08 PM
1st.time.mama333's Avatar #2 Due March 2013!
Quote:
Legally, schools can't deny a child an education because the parent chooses not to expose their child to vaccines. Since it's a parent's choice, schools are required (by law) to respect that decision. They don't like it, but are required to respect it.

Usually, there is a form you fill out called an exemption and then there's no problem with any schools. Again, it all goes back to parent choice. Above all, I respect a parent's choice to choose what they believe is best for their child and their home situation. No one has the right to look down on you because you choose to vaccinate OR if you choose not to.
The only state that actually has just introduced a law against letting unvaccinated children into their schools is West Virginia.

We will not be vaccinating at all for the exact same reasons that Naalie listed above.
naalie likes this.

]
September 9th, 2012, 05:14 PM
DrMomJLS's Avatar Veteran
I read an article recently about how ANY vaccines given before age 12 months are completely useless, and the only reason for doing them is to "train the parent" into coming in regularly for shots!! Crazy. Wish I knew where I read that article. Anyway, because of that, we won't be doing any shots until at least a year...never the chicken pox vac, we'll just expose to the real thing.
naalie likes this.

Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

September 9th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the info girls. I know that here in Dover you can't get your child into the CDC (Child Development Center) unless they have their vaccinations which I think is ridiculous. I'm not sure about the on-base schools...

I do have to say, I would LOVE to home school anyways...although I'm slightly worried that if I do my child will want to be a recluse like me. LOL
naalie likes this.

September 9th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Quote:
I do have to say, I would LOVE to home school anyways...although I'm slightly worried that if I do my child will want to be a recluse like me. LOL
Ha ha, that's funny! I feel the same way. We will probably homeschool unless I go back to teaching in public, then the kids will be with me in my school where I can monitor them like a hawk. I am concerned about my daughter because she really doesn't get to be around other kids and needs the "socialization" to blend into society...

~~~~
~~~~

September 9th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Ha ha, that's funny! I feel the same way. We will probably homeschool unless I go back to teaching in public, then the kids will be with me in my school where I can monitor them like a hawk. I am concerned about my daughter because she really doesn't get to be around other kids and needs the "socialization" to blend into society...
See I'm super afraid of my child not getting socialized at a young age and understanding that other people are ok but to be cautious. I really hope there is some sort of playgroup or something that's close by.

September 9th, 2012, 07:06 PM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't vaccinate at all either, for all the reasons Naalie listed and then some. I've read lots of books on them, and felt like I made the right choice for us. I am dreading getting her into preschool and school, b/c I know we can file an exemption, but it will be a pain in the butt.

I will say two things about vaccines, one, there actually has never been a study done, in the US at least, that proves no correlation between autism and the MMR vaccine, that has not been done by a vaccine manufacturer. I mean, if you are considering taking a new pharmaceutical drug, do you trust that only the company that made it did study's proving its safety? Or would you want an unbiased outside company to prove its safety?

And two, I know a lot of people will say "well, I was vaccinated, and I'm fine" I'm in that group, technically. I am extremely healthy. However, in 1983, children received 10 vaccines from birth to age 6. Now they receive 36-38. Doesn't that seem outrageous? Here's a link to the chart if you want to check it out.
peaceful parenting: CDC Mandatory Vaccine Schedule: 1983 vs 2012
My advice to anyone who feels "unsure" about vaccines, is READ. If anyone wants suggestions on books, I'd be happy to tell you some, but you can also look up vaccine books on Amazon and you'll find tons with reviews. And the best advice someone gave me when I was having a hard time deciding, was "you can always vaccinate later and catch up, but you can never undo a vaccine".
1st.time.mama333 and naalie like this.

September 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Veteran
Thank you so much for all the info, it has given me something to really think about.
Bentleigh 3 years old
September 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM
1st.time.mama333's Avatar #2 Due March 2013!
Quote:
See I'm super afraid of my child not getting socialized at a young age and understanding that other people are ok but to be cautious. I really hope there is some sort of playgroup or something that's close by.
I plan on homeschooling as well... my MIL homeschooled DH's younger brothers, and they are 2 of the most outgoing and social people I have ever met. They were involved in homeschooling groups, met friends through swim lessons, music lessons, church, etc... There are SO many places for kids to meet friends other than at school. Don't let the socialization fears stop you from homeschooling I plan on getting dd enrolled in swim lessons and dance class in the next couple months so that she can start making friends and learning to socialize.

]
September 9th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

See MSG is one of the things that can make my husband REALLY sick. He gets migraines that require iv meds and vomits until his throat is raw if we don't catch on that that's what he ate quick enough. I don't want that for my baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyJ View Post
I will be but at a delayed schedule while they are still in infancy. I know there are still a lot of issues with vaccines but I see a bigger risk not having them. Here in Utah we've have had an outbreak of pertussis lately (whooping cough) a couple children have died and lots are getting really sick. The ones who are affected are the ones unvaccinated and lots have had to go in and get vaccinated once they have been infected. I know it seems there are lots of diseases that seem obsolete in the united states but I just don't think it is worth the risk. I know some people are really sensitive or allergic to vaccines and I can see not doing it in that case. That is just how I feel about it but I know there is so much that can be debated about this so it is tough to say if there is a right or wrong.
A big thing about whooping cough that a lot of the public missed is that while unvaxed children who were contaminated very likely spread it, a larger, more likely source of contamination is adults who caught it from somewhere and were overdue for boosters. Tetanus is NOT the only shot that needs a booster into adulthood.

Quote:

Some folks will get snotty with you and fight you on it but in most states (except for WVa I guess and I'm NOT surprised) you're legally good to go on exemptions. You just have to make sure you really know your stuff when you go to the school officials. Like I'm in an attachment parenting group in my area and one mom had a chiropractor sign the form when the way that it's worded clearly states that isn't a solid choice. It's all about research.

Quote:
Thanks for the info girls. I know that here in Dover you can't get your child into the CDC (Child Development Center) unless they have their vaccinations which I think is ridiculous. I'm not sure about the on-base schools...

You might not be okay for the CDC but a CDH (Child Development Home) facility might work. The CDC gets full and basically spouses who live on base or in military housing can be trained by the CDC to run a in home daycare. They not only have to meet state standards but they have to meet the standards set out by the CDC as well. Some can be flexible depends on the state.

Quote:
If there's a wife group for your base some people in there might have tips on play groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm-of3 View Post
Thank you so much for all the info, it has given me something to really think about.
Dr. Sears book really helped me. It lists when each vaccine is given, what it protects against, the main manufacturers, some info about the content of each brand's version and just basically general facts that can help you make a choice about whether to use that one, space it out or skip it altogether.

In addition to spacing them out, we are skipping the chicken pox and the flu. I'm also wanting to skip the eye goop after birth too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search