When Water Breaks First

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By horselovinmom
  • 1 Post By Julie_
  • 1 Post By PrincessLou79

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
toady11's Avatar Veteran
With my first baby my water broke and I never went into contractions on my own. I was also GBS or strep B + so they were giving me IV antibiotics every 4 hrs. Dr gave me 12 hours and then wanted to induce and that is what happened. Any other mommas had their water break first? How long did your dr give you to go into contractions on your own?

We have a pink little monkey coming in March!

January 23rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
horselovinmom's Avatar Veteran
With my 1st, the doc broke my water. The 2nd, my water broke first and the contractions started on their own. This time around, I'd like if I started with contractions first and progressed a bit before my water breaks. Its always more painful once your water breaks!
toady11 likes this.
January 23rd, 2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran
Same here, minus the GBS. My water broke and I never contracted on my own. I went straight to the hospital once it broke and they admitted me right away. After 4 hrs of no contractions/progress, I was given pitocin. I had DD exactly 24 hours after being admitted.
January 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
ive never had my water break before labour, but thats a really good question. Im not really sure, i think it would depend on a few things, like if i was GBS+ or showing signs of infection, as well as how well baby was tolerating things

with my 2nd my MW said 24 hours before we would have to discuss going to the hospital, again assuming everything else was good, so im guessing my MW this time has a similar opinion

January 23rd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran
My water broke with DS#1, then I started having contractions. I was also GBS +, so when I got to the hospital they checked me and I was 4 cm and started antibiotics right away. I had to have pitocin because I wasn't dialating as fast as they wanted me to. After 8 hours in labor and the pitocin I was still only 5 cm dialated, so they just kep cranking up the pitocin, that's when I asked for the epidural. After 4 more hours I finally had him.
January 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With DD1 my water broke at 5am. I arrived at the hospital at 7am. I was "almost 2cm". By 10am no progress or contractions so I started pitocin. By 11:30 I was 9cm. She was delivered at 1:03pm via c-section (breech, 41 weeks).

I was GBS negative, but they still wanted her out in 12 hours. The birthing class I took at the hospital had said 24 hours, I'm not sure why the doctor wanted 12.
January 23rd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Julie_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My water broke the first time around 3 am, and I was immediately started on pitocin once I got to the hospital. They gave me no time to see if I'd go into labor on my own. I'm anxious to see if this time I'll get to experience natural contractions. Pitocin-induced labor was rough and very painful.
toady11 likes this.

January 23rd, 2013, 10:16 PM
Super Mommy
With my daughter my water broke really early in the morning. Started having contractions soon after that and had her in the afternoon 1pm-ish.
January 24th, 2013, 05:47 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke with my first and contractions began about 2 hours later.

With my second, contractions began (about 9 minutes apart) and very shortly after my water broke.

So, I never had a long period of time after my water breaking until contrax began.

January 24th, 2013, 06:03 AM
sparkle04's Avatar Loving my chaotic life!!
Well I am no help.... my water has never broke on it's own nor have i ever even went into labor on my own. I have always had to be induced
January 24th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Veteran
My water broke at 3:00 a.m. We got to the hospital by 4:00 and they hooked me up to the monitor. I was having contractions, but I could not feel them. They finally started me on pitocin at 9:00 a.m. and I had my son a little after 7:00 that evening.

January 24th, 2013, 06:40 AM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water has never broken on it's own, I've always started off with contractions first and then had my waters broken for me (my daughter was born in hers).
RUNNER25 likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Blieving4more's Avatar ready 4 my miracle
My water began to leak at home one morning and I did not feel any contractions. It did not have that full blown gush until I was admitted to the hospital hours later. After it broke I did start to feel the contractions more but was already dilated far enough to receive an epidural. They started me on pitocin as well since they said I could not go 24 hours of my water being broken and not having the baby yet.
January 24th, 2013, 12:43 PM
toady11's Avatar Veteran
Ok, thanks ladies. That is very interesting... Sounds like most places like you to come in right away after your water breaks, I thought I was told to go to hospital right away because of the GBS+. Hoping I am negative this time though... It wasn't a big deal but if things happen the same way I would rather spend the 12 hours seeing if contractions will start on their own and not sitting around the hospital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie_ View Post
My water broke the first time around 3 am, and I was immediately started on pitocin once I got to the hospital. They gave me no time to see if I'd go into labor on my own. I'm anxious to see if this time I'll get to experience natural contractions. Pitocin-induced labor was rough and very painful.
I am anxious to see if I get to experience this as well!! I only know pitocin-induced labor.......

We have a pink little monkey coming in March!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search