So tired of this....another trip to L&D :(

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Blieving4more's Avatar ready 4 my miracle
I went in for my regular OB visit yesterday and they began the NST and were surprised that my contractions are consistent every few minutes. HELLO!!! This is what I have been telling them and when I was in L&D last Monday they kept me for 3 1/2 hrs because they were able to see I was contracting every 2-3 minutes. Well needless to say they were not seeing the HB acceleration they wanted on baby in addition to my contractions so my doctor decided to do another cervical check. Lo and behold I am 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. Off to L&D they send me. I get there and right away the on call dr decided to do another cervical check. Can I just tell you how uncomfortable and honestly traumatizing these checks have been for me. With DS I was never checked until I was in active labor. Any way, they hook me up to the monitors and keep me there for SEVEN HOURS!!! Do another ultrasound ( I had one just last week) and they check the fluid, baby and check to see if he is practicing breathing yet. Good news is HE IS!! We could see his tiny diaphragm moving up and down consistently. They took my urine AGAIN to test for UTI and then the monitor showed an increase in intensity and frequency of contractions so guess what....that warranted another cervical check!!! 3 checks in one day Thankfully there was no change to my cervix but ladies I just want to cry. I am so tired of this. I am going to be 35 weeks and all of this drama is really getting to me. Oh and of course, as a result of these checks, I am experiencing pink discharge. Nothing like the scare of seeing tinge of blood when you wipe.
After all of this neither doctor recommends bed rest!! Does that make sense to any of you? It sure doesn't to me. I don't want my LO coming before 37 weeks or before 38 really but they are not too worried about it. So here I am at work since I don't have a doctor's note telling me to stay in bed and I am feeling contractions every few minutes as always. How is this my lot in life right now??!!! I am so tired and really don't feel like calling my doctor with any complaints because they will just admit me to L&D for hours to run the same stupid tests!!
January 24th, 2013, 09:09 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
I'm sorry you are going through this. The pink discharge is normal after the cervical checks. But sad to say you better get use to them. Glad your little one is breathing on his own. My last daughter was born at 37 weeks and she was perfect.

January 24th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Veteran
Hang in there, you can make it and so can Little One. Stinks you have to keep going in and out of L&D, getting checked, and tested, but I guess they are just trying to be cautious. Only a few more weeks, I promise!

January 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Super Mommy
So sorry about another visit to L&D I hope you feel better and that little one stays in at least a few weeks longer. I know it has to be scary, but at least if the Dr.'s aren't too worried, that is a good thing?

Make a pregnancy ticker

January 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
kreb's Avatar Veteran
I'm so sorry you're going through this! It really puts a damper on your mood and causes a lot of stress. Glad to hear the baby did well on the NST, though! Try to focus on the positives and (I'm sure you're sick of hearing it cause I am) stay hydrated!

Does your job require you to be mobile in any way? Perhaps play it up to the doctors. I'm in commercial real estate which requires a lot of walking to and through appointments so they were quick to bed rest me.

PS - I'm contracting as I type this. The pressure on my cervix and lungs is ridiculous!
January 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreb View Post
I'm so sorry you're going through this! It really puts a damper on your mood and causes a lot of stress. Glad to hear the baby did well on the NST, though! Try to focus on the positives and (I'm sure you're sick of hearing it cause I am) stay hydrated!

Does your job require you to be mobile in any way? Perhaps play it up to the doctors. I'm in commercial real estate which requires a lot of walking to and through appointments so they were quick to bed rest me.

PS - I'm contracting as I type this. The pressure on my cervix and lungs is ridiculous!
I am a network engineer so the majority of my job is behind a desk at multiple computers. I do have to walk around but that's only 25% of the day.
As for the water intake L&D didn't even bother giving me an IV this time around since they saw how the 2 bags of fluid they gave me last week made my contractions worse. Full bladder makes them worse for me and I already "drink like a fish" according to them. Of course that doesn't stop me from drinking since it helps to reduce the swelling I have.
Sorry that you are experiencing the same thing. I don't wish this on any one. Contractions for this many weeks before we actually get to hold these little ones??? I have never heard such a thing. BH now that I know but this??
January 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Mrs.Storm's Avatar New mommy
Sorry to hear all this! I wonder if bed rest is something you can request from your doctor??? If you let them know how worried you are and whatnot?

January 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Veteran
So sorry to hear you are going through this! I agree with the other ladies..maybe call your doctor and let them know how concerned you are.

As a first timer..I am still trying to figure out contractions...and can't imagine having them for weeks.

January 24th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Athme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Arggh, I feel frustrated for you! I hope you can stay out of l&d and your contractions calm down. *hugs*
January 24th, 2013, 06:26 PM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
((hugs!)) So sorry you had to go through all of that. It certainly does sound awful. I really hope those contractions ease up and baby waits a couple more weeks at least! I've been having them too, but since they aren't getting closer together I just do my best to ignore them. They are definitely no fun though.

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

January 24th, 2013, 06:36 PM
brandi6088's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm so sorry!! I hope things hold off for a few more weeks!! Just think it will be over before you know it!!! (( HUGS ))
January 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Super Mommy
I am really sorry you are having to go through this. My doctors immediately told me I would be on bed rest until 34 weeks - whether it was at the hospital or home was the lingering question. I know you want to go longer and closer to full term, but know at least that he's already at a good stage. But yeah, the cervix checks are awful! i hope your little one stays in there, and maybe you can talk to your doctors about getting on bed rest. Good luck!
January 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM
Thank you ladies for all your support. These last few weeks have been so difficult. I am contracting as I type this here at my desk at work. It is just so exhausting!! Since these consistent contractions did not present themselves (or they didn't monitor them) until I was almost 34 weeks they have not put me on bed rest. If I was earlier they would have given me shots to try and stop the contractions but since I am 35 weeks now they are just going to allow me to continue with them and see what happens. Of course now I fear every single visit, which I have weekly now, because a routine OB visit is ending up to be a full day at L&D.
I am trying my best to just take it one day at a time. My poor husband doesn't know what to do. Every night when I am on the verge of tears from the contractions he is asking me to call my doctor but I know that if I call for any reason at all that they will ask me to go back to L&D so I have just been trying my best to do whatever I can to stay comfortable. Long showers, laying on different sides, sitting with legs up, you name it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search