Dialated?/Effacement?

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
JLNichols07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm almost positive that it's getting closer for them check-ups! Although it doesn't effect me as much because i have a schedule c-section I decided to make a thread so everyone can tell us how their dialation check-ups went. The last time I went to the L&D they did a check and I was still closed and not dialated at all. But I will get checked here again at 35 weeks and every week until the c-section I believe.

January 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via AIM to aussie_mama22
In Australia they dont check for dilation until your in active labour, and even then, they do it as little as possible.
Which sucks because I checked myself (I had prolapse problems early pregnancy and wanted to make sure everything was where it should have been) and I feel like ive dilated to at least a 2 to me but no one will check.

Thankyou *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i dont expect that i will be checked until i think i am in labour either

January 25th, 2013, 05:19 PM
brandi6088's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm suppose to get checked n the swab test on wed!! If he is still transverse ( which he is right now) she said she prob won't cuz she doesn't want to accidently break my water!! Soo ill update on wed
January 25th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran
I was just check on Tuesday do to having contractions regularly for a
Few hours, and I'm not dialated yet, and I had the swab/fetal fibronectin test, which ce back negative as well! The doctor told me that my cervix has softened bit though.. Is that the same as being effaced at all? I'm a FTM, so I'm still learning it all the u/s showed that my cervix is still over 3cm long.. So she wasn't worried about early labor just yet

Oh. Also, I read alot of post about cervix checks being horribly uncomfortable, but honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all! The swab test was awful tho, with the little metal thing to open u up, that hurt!
January 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie0023 View Post
I was just check on Tuesday do to having contractions regularly for a
Few hours, and I'm not dialated yet, and I had the swab/fetal fibronectin test, which ce back negative as well! The doctor told me that my cervix has softened bit though.. Is that the same as being effaced at all? I'm a FTM, so I'm still learning it all the u/s showed that my cervix is still over 3cm long.. So she wasn't worried about early labor just yet

Oh. Also, I read alot of post about cervix checks being horribly uncomfortable, but honestly, I didn't think it was bad at all! The swab test was awful tho, with the little metal thing to open u up, that hurt!
That's great that it looks like baby is staying put for now! Effacing is the same as softening. In past two pregnancies I was almost fully effaced by 36-37 weeks. (1st pregnancy I made it to 41 weeks, second I had him at 37 weeks.)

I've been fortunate that cervix checks have never been uncomfortable for me either. The only ones that were slightly uncomfortable for me were the 6 week PP checks. And I've never had a "metal thing to open up" in a swab test?!??? Yikes! Mines always been a giant qtip just quickly brushed down there...
January 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm assuming I won't be checked till I'm in labor either, which is fine. I know I've heard you can walk around for weeks at 2 or 3cm as a second or more time mom, so no need to think its getting close when actually its not!

January 26th, 2013, 01:11 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was checked once with both of my boys. Both times I was around 36 weeks and both times I was only 1 cm.

My water broke and I went into labor naturally both times before my due date.

January 26th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Mrs.Storm's Avatar New mommy
Do midwives usually do checks before labor? I just had my midwife apt so it will be another 2 weeks till I can ask if they do.

January 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Storm View Post
Do midwives usually do checks before labor? I just had my midwife apt so it will be another 2 weeks till I can ask if they do.
i think it depends on your MW, some will if you ask, others dont.

January 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Julie_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My midwife is very hands off and doesn't do them unless she absolutely feels it's necessary.

January 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dilation checks before labour? The midwives don't do that in the UK. You don't get checked for dilation until you are in active labour.

January 27th, 2013, 09:45 AM
SammyJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably won't be checked unless necessary. The curious side of me kind of wants to know, but at the same time, I am not that worried about it because I know you can be at a 2 or 3 for weeks. I don't want to psych myself up and then have it drag out, you know?

Thanks to *Sharon* for my awesome siggy! My pregnancy blog

January 27th, 2013, 12:22 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
I start getting checked weekly now (35 weeks) even though I am having a planned C. This is because they don't want me to go into labor at all, as that would result in an emergency C. I hate it. It's like insult to injury (and I think it really hurts!) when you can't have a baby naturally but they have to go in there every week and cause you pain for no reason.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

January 28th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Blieving4more's Avatar ready 4 my miracle
With all of the pre term contractions I have been having they have checked me 5 times already Last week I was 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. According to my discharge papers I have been in early labor for over a week now. I have another appointment tomorrow and if my contractions are still 3-4 minutes apart then they will do another cervical check. I cannot stand it!! With DS I did not get a check until my water broke and I was in the hospital to deliver him.
January 28th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Veteran
I know its too early to want this, but I wish I was dialated a little bit already. I'm only 33 weeks, so way too early to have her, but I'm just so done with the waiting stuff I want to get the process started! Only 4 more weeks till I'm 37 weeks atleast. Tho I do hope she stays put longer than that. I hope I start dialating in my 37th week!
January 28th, 2013, 02:42 PM
kreb's Avatar Veteran
i've been having checks since my preterm labor. i'm between 1-1.5 cm depending on which doc checks and 75% effaced. i didn't want to do cervical checks but i'm actually happy to have them now. the doctor said she's in perfect position and can grab her head... just need to thin and dilate to get things moving. i'm considering investing in a yoga ball to start stretching things out this weekend. i'll be 37 weeks on tuesday and i'm ready to get this party started!
January 28th, 2013, 03:18 PM
JLNichols07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like we might have a few ladies that will end up going early. Hopefully the babies stay put until full term though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search