Failed my 3 hr GTT - Advice needed

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Regular
I failed my 3 hr glucose test. Not by much but failed none the less. So now I have to check my levels fasting and an hour after each meal, so 4 times a day.

Today was my first day and I'M STARVING!!! I don't eat large portions to begin with, I've only gained 14-15lbs. so far this pregnancy (32 wks. tomorrow) and I'm not overweight. I'm 5'2" and currently 128. And now I feel like I'm on a WW diet. I'm aloud 30 carbs for breakfast and lunch, 15 for snacks and 45 for dinner. Today my hands are constantly cold and clammy and I'm wondering if I'm eating enough. And did I mention I am horribly grumpy when I'm HUNGRY!!! lol

My fasting level was 83.

I had one slice of whole wheat toast, two links of sausage, and a cup of milk for breakfast.

An hour and 15 minutes later (forgot to check at an hour) my level was 126 (supposed to be below 120) My hands were cold and clammy and I couldn't get enough blood for the meter. The first test was an error (not enough blood) so I threw that one out and tried again. This time and several pricks later...it came up 126. I was beyond stressed, hungry and frustrated at this point so I went and researched online. 15 minutes later I noticed my hands were nice and warm so I decided to test again. I got a good prick with good blood and it read 116. Does 15 minutes really make that big of a difference?

For a snack I had a small apple with a little p.b. smoothed on it.

Now for lunch, I just ate a salad with chicken and cheddar cheese and dressing (2 carbs) I haven't tested yet.

Can I eat more carbs to curb the hunger?? Would a fiber bar totally throw me off at 22 carbs?

Help, I'm hungry!!
January 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran
just visiting from April... But i am checking too.. I have to check 2 hours after STARTING eating, and my levels have to be under 125. Are you sure you are supposed to test at 1 hour after?

how about carrot/celery sticks with hummus for an extra snack?
nuts?
veggie soup?
cheese?
diabetic yoghurt?

you shouldn't be hungry, and should still be having a hefty amount of calories (at least 2000 a day)
#1- dd17
#2- ds14
#3- ds9
#4- ds8

#5- dd6
#6-ds 1

January 29th, 2013, 11:41 AM
AmyMcLiz's Avatar Proud mommy
I think it does take a little time to adjust to a new way of eating...I don't have GD, but I was on a low-carb diet before pregnancy, eating less than 50carbs for the whole day, but still getting around 2000calories. The first few days are difficult, but it's easier once your body adjusts. Focus on protein and fat. Eggs, meats, cheeses, green veggies, natural peanut butter. Fiber is good for hunger, but it's better to replace your regular carbs with high-fiber carbs instead of adding more on.

I think the hunger might just be your body wanting the foods it's used to eating, and carbs are the most appealing solution for you right now. It gets much easier! And as always, lots of water helps, but you probably knew that one

Mommy of Zane
Hoping to have #2 in 2015!

Last edited by AmyMcLiz; January 29th, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
January 29th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Athme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your numbers have to be lower than mine apart from fasting (not sure why) and you are not allowed as many carbs (again not sure why) but, I will link what I posted on another members GD thread for some examples.

I am allowed 140 1 hour after the first bite of a meal and 90-95 max fasting.

---
The utmost important thing about GD is protein v. carbs proportions and I believe a lot of women with GD don't understand that. Also having different kinds of carbs. Just having bread with every meal or a soda or a piece of fruit won't be as beneficial as having a variety.

Of course if you cut out all your carbs your numbers will be great but you won't be giving the right nutrients to yourself or your baby.

The goal is to have 1-2 proteins per 1 carb. In the most simplistic terms, 1 Carb serving = 15g of carbs and 1 protein serving = 7g of protein OR 1oz of meat, cheese or poultry.

Having the protein slows the release of glucose from the carb. Similarly complex and simple carbs release differently. IE/ if you have some whole wheat bread compared to having a candy bar the release of glucose will be different.

Similarly, a lot of the reason one gets GD has nothing to do with diet and everything to do with the placenta. As we get older we are more susceptible as well. So if you had your first pregnancy at 24 and your next at 28 and now you are 30, as you age your chances increase; also weight, genetics and ethnicity play a role but it isn't one thing and changing ones diet beforehand would not necessarily yield a "pass" result on the GD test.

Here is what I ate today and my numbers were inline:

Breakfast (not very exciting today, I was exhausted) -
1 slice of whole wheat bread with 1 egg on it and 3 slices of bacon ( 1 carb serving w/ ~2 protein servings)
3/4 a cup of orange juice (1 carb serving)
1 pieces of string cheese (1 protein serving)

Snack
Hummas, carrots and crackers (as much as I wanted) , some grapes (2 handfuls is about 1 carb serving) and 1/2 cup of strawberries ( approximately 1/2- 1 carb serving).

Lunch
2 whole wheat sandwiches with tomato, avocado, ham and lettuce ( 4 carb servings in the bread, 4 protein servings in the ham and the veggies are free ) .

Snack
I had 1/2 can of vegetable and beef soup with 1/2 a granny smith apple and some cheese. (

Dinner
Dinner will be "cowpoke chilli" lol, found the recipe somewhere online. It has ground beef, lentils , vegetables and in good proportions- carb v. protein.

Late night snack
My late night snack tonight will be icecream (1 cup or 1/2 cup and some berries). Generally we (those with GD) can have higher carbs in the evening to sustain our fasting numbers and prevent lows and then spikes in the morning.

----

The standard meal plan looks something like this (below) and is based off a 2200 calorie diet.

Breakfast: 15-30g carbs (1-2 servings), 1 protein, 1-2fats

Snack: 15g carbs, 1 protein

Lunch: 30-60g carbs (2-4 servings), 2-3 proteins, 1-2 fats

Snack: 30g carbs (2 servings), 2 proteins

Dinner: 30-60g carbs (2-4 servings), 3 proteins, 1-2 fats

Snack (right before bed): 30g carbs, 1-2 proteins

You don't have to have the fats and vegetable are free, but fats are things like avocado, bacon, butter, cream cheese and those are all allowed and generally don't take up your carb count but can pad out your meals.

You CAN also snack between snacks if you're starving, just stick to veggies and no / very low carb options if you can , nuts are good.

---
Since having GD I have begun eating a lot more! You will be amazed at home much you're meant to eat/ can eat!

You can treat yourself, you can have soda, you can have sugar and you can enjoy food, GD is all about the proportions.

One awesome thing to note is dark chocolate 70% + is thought to lower blood sugar levels so if you want to have some of that- feel free!

---
Oh, I forgot to mention if you are counting your carbs, round up or down to the nearest 5. So if you have 22 carbs and are trying to work out how much protein you need, round it down to 20. If you have 24 round up to 25.

---
Edit again: 15 minutes won't make a huge difference but 30 will. You most accurate reading will be exactly 1 hour after your first bite of food. Lots of people have trouble with getting their blood out the first few times, try milking the prick site once or twice and make sure you hold the tester a tiny bit away from your blood so the air will help carry it up the strip (hope that makes sense).

Last edited by Athme; January 29th, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
January 29th, 2013, 04:10 PM
kreb's Avatar Veteran
I'd recommend seeing a dietician if you're at all confused about what to eat. I decided to do my research and felt comfortable with my new diet and levels that I have avoided seeing one. I had posted my diet as well. If you are hungry up your protein NOT carbs.

Why is your 1 hour reading only supposed to be 120? From what I've found across the board the reading should be 120 at 2 hours, 140 at 1 hour.

As far as readings are concerned make sure your hands are clean. I keep alcohol wipes with my meter and clean everything beforehand (once I had moved a piece of candy and tested and my levels were near 200 from sugar on my finger!). My doctor told me if you have to "milk" your finger that will also elevate your levels.

Keep a food log as well and take note of what things spike your blood sugars. It varies from person to person. It'll take about a week to get things sorted out!
January 29th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreb View Post
I'd recommend seeing a dietician if you're at all confused about what to eat. I decided to do my research and felt comfortable with my new diet and levels that I have avoided seeing one. I had posted my diet as well. If you are hungry up your protein NOT carbs.

Why is your 1 hour reading only supposed to be 120? From what I've found across the board the reading should be 120 at 2 hours, 140 at 1 hour.

As far as readings are concerned make sure your hands are clean. I keep alcohol wipes with my meter and clean everything beforehand (once I had moved a piece of candy and tested and my levels were near 200 from sugar on my finger!). My doctor told me if you have to "milk" your finger that will also elevate your levels.

Keep a food log as well and take note of what things spike your blood sugars. It varies from person to person. It'll take about a week to get things sorted out!
I recommend an endocrinologist over a dietician , mainly because they specialize in diabetes and a lot of dietician's do not.

Your OB will set you up with who they think is best for you (or who they work with).

--

I am personally not sure why "milking" your finger would up your levels and cannot find any literary evidence to prove this but you could try it and see what results you get.

Also keep in mind meters are allowed to be 10-15% in a margin of error so if you get a 120 you could really be at 108 or 132ish. That is the standard for meters and you will find most to have that level of discrepancy so you could test 4 times on the same finger and get 4 different readings!
January 30th, 2013, 06:19 AM
Cassani's Avatar Wendy (aka Prego-Hulk)
Don't eat carb-heavy snacks, that'll cause your sugar to spike. Balance the carbs with protein, like PB crackers (which I loathe) or cheese and crackers. I'm allowed 225 carbs per day, but I eat heavier carb meals later in the day so as to not have blood sugar dips in the morning. Granted, mine is type 2 diabetes, not gestational, so you don't have to be as restrictive as I am. Watch your numbers and see what foods cause your numbers to fluctuate. You may be surprised, not all carbs are created equal. A 20 gram carbs snack that has 7 grams of fiber is a lot better for your blood sugar than a 20 gram carbs snack with no fiber, and even better if it has a few grams of protein. If you're eating something sugar-free, subtract the sugar alcohols from the total carbs to find net carbs.

January 30th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Regular
Thanks everyone. My numbers have been good, way below 120 w/the exception of that one troublesome stick and I think I'm getting a better picture of what I can eat. My hubby is going grocery shopping for me today after work with a list of foods I can actually eat. Starting off with all our high carb foods in the house was probably not a good idea.

I don't know why my numbers have to be below 120 and my form that I have to fill out definitely states to check after one hour. And yes I would love a few more carbs, but I think they are starting me off at the lowest carb allotment. Maybe they'll let me raise it if I do good?? I don't know, just following drs. orders.

I'm one of those people who get super grumpy when you mess with my food and I didn't realize how addicted to carbs I must be. I WANT MY COFFEE CREAMER!! and MY CEREAL!! and I LOVE MILK! hahaha! And I think carbs satisfy me a little more. I am always hungry after a meal and the thought of another piece of protein just doesn't cut it. sigh.
The good news is I only have 8 weeks to go this pregnancy so I guess I can tough it out.
I was so stinking emotional these past two days over this diet. It was just the thing to tip the scales and send me into a crying fit. (my poor hubby) After all we are going through with this pregnancy and the babies heart and organs and the GD was just the tipping point for me. So thanks for your support.
January 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athme View Post
Your numbers have to be lower than mine apart from fasting (not sure why) and you are not allowed as many carbs (again not sure why) but, I will link what I posted on another members GD thread for some examples.

--
Edit again: 15 minutes won't make a huge difference but 30 will. You most accurate reading will be exactly 1 hour after your first bite of food. Lots of people have trouble with getting their blood out the first few times, try milking the prick site once or twice and make sure you hold the tester a tiny bit away from your blood so the air will help carry it up the strip (hope that makes sense).
They never specified that I should test 1 hour from the time I started to eat so I have been checking 1 hour after I finished eating, so I called and sure enough I should be testing 1 hour after I start eating. My numbers have been pretty good but now that I know when I should be testing I am afraid I will be high...

Thanks for the info Athme...

Sons Noah 14 & Drew 16
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013

7 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012, Jan 2015)
No explanation for losses

January 30th, 2013, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=sandel07;27034396]They never specified that I should test 1 hour from the time I started to eat so I have been checking 1 hour after I finished eating, so I called and sure enough I should be testing 1 hour after I start eating. My numbers have been pretty good but now that I know when I should be testing I am afraid I will be high...

Thanks for the info Athme...[/QUOT

You're most welcome! Shouldn't change your numbers too much unless you eat very slowly.

Goodluck to the the GD Mums/Moms!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search