Birthing day snacks. What will you be packing?

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By RUNNER25

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2013, 04:25 AM
MamaYazz's Avatar Veteran
I plan on doing some light snacking during my birthing time to keep my energy level up. I'm trying to avoid bad carbs and planning which foods/snacks to have around me on my D-day. I've thought of having carrots, light crackers, apples, bananas and maybe a few popsicles

How much are you planning on eating/snacking? And for those going to hospital or birth center what will you be taking along with you on your special day?
February 15th, 2013, 04:29 AM
brandi6088's Avatar Super Mommy
I get ice chips if I'm lucky lol the hospital called yesterday to go over everything I can't eat anything past midnight the morning I go in..
February 15th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Veteran
When I was laboring with my son I remember I didn't want anything to eat. I didn't eat anything all day, or while I was laboring, I had no desire.

About the only thing I'm going to be bringing are mints to try to keep fresh breath. Other than that I'll probably just have ice water.

February 15th, 2013, 05:39 AM
AimeeD041727's Avatar PowerPuffGirls
I was never allowed to eat anything during any of my labors with the girls. Just good ol ice chips.

February 15th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Veteran
Yea I am pretty sure snacks for me are a no-no at my hospital too. I did pack snacks for DH though cause he gets crabby when he's hungry...LOL.
February 15th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Veteran
From what I've been told, I can't eat once I'm in labor. They said alot of women end up throwing food up, so its recommended to avoid eating once real contractions start. And I'm gonna listen because the last thing ill want to do is to throw up while I'm already in pain! I threw up non stop when I had contractions at 32 weeks and was in the hosptial. Def want to avoid that!!
February 15th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I'm planning on having a natural birth so I think light snacking before my final stage will help keep my strength up for the task ahead. Here are some articles:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a544481/...king-in-labour

Eating During Labor or Before Labor

Eating, Drinking May Be OK During Labor

Last edited by MamaYazz; February 15th, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
February 15th, 2013, 07:18 AM
horselovinmom's Avatar Veteran
I'm not going to have anything with. Both my labors were on the quicker side. My first son, well I was in labor for 2 days before I realized what it truely was. I just thought it was back pain from having a big belly and my second son was a quick water broke and less than 6 hours later he was born.
February 15th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Veteran
I didn't get to eat when having my son (got an epidural), and it's probably a good thing because the meds made me throw up. I had a bowl of cereal right after my water broke with my daughter and then sipped on gatorade through active labor (natural birth) and had no issues with nausea or energy being low. I didn't feel like eating once the contractions really hit!

February 15th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i never want to eat during labour, but i make sure to have granola bars on hand for after baby arrives

February 15th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Now I'm really glad I posted this question! Being a FTM I just don't know what to expect.
February 15th, 2013, 10:45 AM
adson's Avatar Veteran
Bottle of water, no food is allowed.

February 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never had the urge to eat anything while in labor, so I won't bring anything along.

If I wanted to though, I would. I don't care if the hospital says no, I would just eat when the nurses leave. If I throw up, then that's my own problem!!
nrse_em, AmyMcLiz and MamaYazz like this.

February 15th, 2013, 06:31 PM
aussie_mama22's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via AIM to aussie_mama22
With my first I had absolutely no desire to eat at all, so if you are allowed to, dont go to too much trouble as you might not even want it.

Thankyou *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

February 15th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Athme's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're allowed food at my hospital and they have a fridge there with food and snacks for us and we can put stuff in there too if we like. Not sure I will take anything, I might just make my husband or Mum go get me something if there is something specific I want or I will eat out of the fridge they have provided
February 15th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Mrs.Storm's Avatar New mommy
My midwife said to have easy to eat foods available at the house (having home birth) for when I go into labor. Especially ones that are easy to chew or you may spit it out once a contraction starts. She said ice chips (cuz it will melt in your mouth if you are chewing during a contraction) apple sauce, soft protein bar, yogurt, fruit, berries...

So that's basically what I plan to have on hand. And if I don't want them during labor I'll just eat it later. Haha
February 16th, 2013, 07:33 AM
sweet.hun's Avatar We're Complete <3
I'll be delivering in a hospital so I can only have clear liquid stuff and I was told to avoid red colored anything (in case I throw it up they aren't guessing whether it's blood or not).

Always missing my 3 angels. 2/9/06, 3/12/11, 5/22/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search