breastfeeding

Forum: March 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To March 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran
How well does breastfeeding work at not getting pregnant?
April 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM
adson's Avatar Veteran
I don t belive that bf protect you from getting pregnant, i know couple of people who got pregnant while bf, so that is not a good method to protect yourself. Well that is only my opinion.

April 18th, 2013, 05:16 AM
Veteran
My midwife said it definitely doesn't protect you and that I will need to use other forms of contraception if I don't want to get pregnant right away.
April 18th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
i would use BFing as a form of BC if I really wasnt ok with having a baby again soon. It doesnt stop ovulation in all women and its really impossible to predict if Bfing will keep ovulation away or not

April 18th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Super Mommy
Lurking from the April DDC because my baby was actually born at the beginning of march.

I had my 6 wk check tuesday and my doctor said it works as long as you are exclusively BFing. She told me that I don't need to start birth control until atleast 12 weeks pp.
April 18th, 2013, 08:22 PM
PrincessLou79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife told me not to rely on BF as a form of birth control as it is in no way guaranteed to stop you from getting pregnant.

April 22nd, 2013, 10:44 AM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the Feb '13 PR. EBF works ONLY if you are maintaining a strict nursing on demand schedule (like feeding on demand every 2 hours and keeping it that, not going for 3-4 hour stretches) and only nursing- No pumping, no supplementing with formula/cereal etc. As soon as you start pumping or your baby changes nursing schedules it can clue your body in that you don't need as much milk so the body can focus on other things like ovulation rather than using all it's extra energy to produce milk. Just remember in the case of humans, the egg comes before the chicken. even though you may not have got your first period after baby doesn't mean that an egg hasn't been released. I would be extremely careful and not rely on it for a method of birth control.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
April 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from June DDC. Nursing is not 100% effective as a birth control. Even EBF isn't perfect. If you want to use EBF as birth control you need to do it in conjunction with other natural family planning methods such as ovulation tracking. Also, some women have post-partum bleeding, stop for a week, and then have an actual period.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

April 23rd, 2013, 04:50 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Lurking from June '13. BF worked for me.. My son was a 17 months before my period ever came back. I did end up pregnant shortly there after. But during the 17 months prior, I did not worry about BC. I nursed on demand (no schedule), no solids tell 11 months old.

This time, I will go on BC. I think I just lucked out haha..

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

April 23rd, 2013, 06:31 AM
RUNNER25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely not 100% effective and you never know when your cycle will return. My last baby was conceived before I ever got my first period back.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search