Do your DH/SO or kids help?

Forum: Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2012, 09:34 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do your DH/SO or kids help with any of the cleaning, organizing, or decorating?

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

March 20th, 2012, 11:45 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh- Not really, part of our deal for me being a SAHM is that the household duties are now my responsibility. I'm fine with that, though because when he does help I usually have to go over it again myself.

Dd- Yes, in order to get her allowance (1.00/week) she helps me clean throughout the day. That might mean wiping down the counters in the kitchen, wiping the outside of the stove, fridge, dishwasher, etc. or picking up the toys in her room, dirty clothes, and things like that.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

March 20th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
as long as i do it regularly my husband is more than happy to pitch in even though its my job to do it.

each of my children have specific chores. desirees are less since she is younger and just starting them not to mention fighting weith her for a half an hour to pick something up off the floor just isnt worth it at the moment. i will deal with it later when shes older which no doubt will then take longer to "reprogram" but shes such a diva at this age i dont want to deal with it. she just loses out on her allowance

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

March 20th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
Dh helps a bit. I'm not working right now (immigration and single vehicle issues ) so I have the time to do the vast majority of it. I don't really mind that as it gives me a way to contribute to our life together while we're figuring out how to get me back into the work force. He'll certainly help if I ask for help with something/he asks if there's anything he can do most nights, but I tend to do the bulk and that's fine with me. He's pretty easy to live with and really only clutters up his desk (and even then, it's just paper and random CDs and things like that - he brings dishes and glasses back to the kitchen just fine) and that's not a big deal to me. I'm worse than he is about leaving random stuff all over the house. It all gets put back within a day though.

When the kids are with us, I have them help. I could probably have them help more, but they know at the very least they are responsible for picking up their own messes and we have a few chores we tend to ask them to do (the oldest takes out the garbage and puts a new bag in, the second oldest helps set the table or empty the dishwasher, etc.).

*Cautiously and excitedly expecting number two - shhh, if we're friends on Facebook. *

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
March 21st, 2012, 02:31 PM
DH - Not so much. He occasionally puts his dishes in the dishwasher and might take out the trash but that is pretty much it. I don't bug him too much about it though as he works 24/7 (since he is a farmer/rancher). Occasionally I will ask him to go through some stuff in the office, but that's not very often.

The kids - Kendra has to clean her room before bed every night, but that has been it. And Josh just doesn't quite understand the concept of cleaning up yet (but we will get there). I would like to start an allowance system with Kendra (and eventually Josh), but need to talk it all over with DH first.

March 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
DH is great about helping.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 21st, 2012, 10:45 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
dh- when he was laid off, he helped out alot. Sometimes if I am gone and he is off of work, he will make sure the living room is clean and dishwasher loaded up.I don't ask him to do anything now. He works long hours with a long commute.
the kids- each child has certain chores they accomplish. They are in charge of their rooms and other chores.

March 24th, 2012, 11:30 PM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
I do all the cooking, and the cleaning. Apart from the dishwasher and changing the bed sheets, my OH does those

DD is too young to have chores but I expect her to put her toys back in the toybox when she's done and for her to put her dirty clothes in the laundry basket when she takes them off.
March 25th, 2012, 12:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Everyone helps out.

DH is a pretty good cook, and my 17yr old is hoping to get into a culinary academy next year, so as you can imagine, she's in the kitchen a lot. Every now and then my 15yr old and 12yr old will whip something up.

Everyone helps with cleaning, we have a "if you see it, clean it" policy and everyone really does pull their weight with it.
March 25th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Everyone helps out.

DH is a pretty good cook, and my 17yr old is hoping to get into a culinary academy next year, so as you can imagine, she's in the kitchen a lot. Every now and then my 15yr old and 12yr old will whip something up.

Everyone helps with cleaning, we have a "if you see it, clean it" policy and everyone really does pull their weight with it.
I would LOVE to implement something like this in my house!

March 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
My Dh is awesome after being on bedrest twice he pretty much runs the house. i am trying to kick him out we have 20 acres which he is planting in garlic and potatoes. But he was doing all the laundry, a good part of the cooking, he gets up with the kids in the morning. He sweeps and he vacuums.

My 15 year old cleans the kitchen after dinner, and after any messes he makes. He does all the garbage, he cleans the kids bathroom, he does yard work and he is all around helpful.

Scarlett wants to help with everything and well it takes three times as long but what is a mom to do? She puts away clothing that is her chore.
March 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes Dh and my DS both help out great with cleaning and cooking, but my DD is not very helpful at all. She pitches a fit when asked to help and always seems to get "hurt" when she has to clean something

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

April 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh helps with cleaning, which is fine with me-- actually it annoys me sometimes because I would get around to doing it, and I'd rather him sit and talk to me instead of doing what I consider my job, but whatever, I shouldn't complain. We also decorate the house together, which I HATE, I would like to do it myself, but he cares about stuff like that. Clarissa is pretty good about keeping her space clean and neat, still working on the 3 y/o.
April 6th, 2012, 08:42 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
DH is great about helping out around the house. My 4 year old has to clean up his toys/play room and clear the table. He will also help me out with other chores around the house.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM
hmcart's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to hmcart
My Dh does help quite a bit but he mostly does the outside stuff and some laundry. Our girls are all old enough to help out and we make sure they do. They have a list of chores each day. Our son helps as well but his list isnt as complicated. My Dh does help with decor but we both have a crazy style so it works well.
April 7th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband helps out with a lot.

Kayley has certain chores she has to do: make bed, pick up playroom, put away her laundry, clear off dining room table, pick up bedroom and any mess she makes anywhere.

April 10th, 2012, 10:00 AM
miamor
baby helps make a mess

my husband really helps a lot, but i have to make him a to do list to keep him on track/organized. we just need more time to get this place organized. i wish i could empty the house and put everything back/throw things away.
April 10th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamor View Post
baby helps make a mess

my husband really helps a lot, but i have to make him a to do list to keep him on track/organized. we just need more time to get this place organized. i wish i could empty the house and put everything back/throw things away.
LOL about baby helping make the mess!! Josh does well at that too!

I know all too well the feeling of just wanting to empty the house and start over with everything! It's not too bad now where I kind of got to do that when we moved out of our old farmhouse (that wasn't too much of a rush deal so I did get to get some sorting in). Right now I would like to just empty the storage room and start over with it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search