Tips Please

Forum: Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By babyloves2dance

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Veteran
I am a cleanfreak except.......my desk I cannot find a thing. I have a lot to do there bills, chaplain duties, PTO, home business the list goes on but I can't find anything does anyone have any paperwork/desk ideas?

May 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The office is the biggest weak spot in my house as well. We do have a spot designated for bills and are pretty good about putting the bills there (in due date order) as soon as we go through mail. I also try to tidy up at least the desk tops once a week. They still get pretty messy, but it isn't overwhelming. I also added a crate with labeled hanging files under the desk so that some of the stuff that we need access to often (which used to live on the desk) is now off the desk but still easy to access. One system that I thought about trying (until I decided it probably wasn't going to work with all of DH's farming related papers) is a FreedomFiler System.
ajstout likes this.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

May 21st, 2012, 08:23 AM
Veteran
The DH and I went out and bought a filing cabinet and I labeled all our drawers and cubbies in our rolltop desk. I'm still struggling on how to decide what files I really need and what I can get rid of but Im on the roll. Thank you so much

May 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstout View Post
The DH and I went out and bought a filing cabinet and I labeled all our drawers and cubbies in our rolltop desk. I'm still struggling on how to decide what files I really need and what I can get rid of but Im on the roll. Thank you so much
This is something I struggle with too! I keep meaning to ask our accountant what we should keep and for how long, but I keep forgetting to. I forgot to mention our 2 filing cabinets in my first post. (Sorry) With our 2 farming operations we needed them. They are such a mess right now! I am currently sorting through each drawer one by one and sorting the contents. I have made some easy to see hanging file dividers to help divide the content in each drawer so that stuff is easier to find.

May 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Veteran
When it comes to papers I really wish I had a maid it seems so neverending lol

May 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Totally agree!!!

June 2nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
My wife and I own a business where we design custom home office for our clients in Hawaii. I've heard different numbers from different people but several accountants have told me that 7 years is the maximum for keeping any documents that might be necessary for an audit (W2's, pay stubs, etc.). I would keep contracts like mortgages, etc. forever. I think most monthly bills could be thrown away after a year. That's just my two cents.

It really is amazing how much less of a chore it is to pay bills when you have an uncluttered and organized home office. Good luck and happy sorting!
June 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Welcome to the board Kahuhipa!

I had heard 7 years from lots of people too. I've also heard 5 years for receipts (since those could be used in an audit) from some people. 1 year for bills sounds about right too. With our farming, we have to keep a lot of farm records for 5 years. I wish that there was just 1 magic number! Keep everything for X amount of years and then you wouldn't need it anymore. Would make things so much easier.

And it is soooooo amazing how much easier it is to pay bills in an uncluttered and organized home office! To me, it is almost a pleasant chore when the office is clean.

June 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
On our company's website we've listed several tips to help achieve a more organized home office. You might find some gems in there that will make a difference...
Home Office Organizational Tips

We also have pictures of custom home offices which might give you some design ideas for how you might want to setup your desk and filing areas...
Custom Designed Home Office Images

If you've ever thought about the best way to layout your home office to maximize organization and efficiency here are some tips to help you in planning your space...
Home Office Design Tips

One of the easiest things to do (which you've probably heard before) is to have a trash can right near your entry point into your home. This gives you a great place to drop junk mail so it doesn't end up on your desk waiting for you to sort through. Nothing is more daunting than a pile of paper requiring your attention.
June 4th, 2012, 04:24 PM
GREAT SITE! Hope you don't mind that I bookmarked it for inspiration.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search