Do I need to call in pest control?

Forum: Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Hi, I have recently moved from the UK to Sydney. We rented an unfurnished semi-detatched house in a very nice part of Sydney. The streets are very clean and our neighbours seem nice and tidy. We moved in last week and since we are still waiting for our shipment to arrive from the UK, the only things we've got in the house are a few suitcases, some eating and cooking utensils, a brand new sofa and a few brand new kitchen and laundry appliances. We have been living in the house for just a bit over a week now but we have already spotted cockcroaches 5 times. The house is clean when we moved it. We are aware that there are a lot more bugs in Oz than in the UK and have been warned about huge cockcroaches and spiders, but honestly we were not expecting to see cockcroaches every second day, especially as the house and the area are both clean. Obviously we are abit concerned esp since we have a 2.5 year old at home. I was wondering whether this is normal and is just something that we have to live with if we want to stay in Sydney or whether it is really time to call in pest control.

P.S. The house has air-conditioning in almost all the rooms and we thought they might contribute to a slightly higher level of bug-occurence,.,.

Last edited by emylypeter; July 28th, 2012 at 10:03 AM.
July 13th, 2012, 07:46 PM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not familiar with Australia but here in Florida we have a bad problem with roaches. Big ones. If I were you I'd certainly call pest control... what could it hurt? They can tell you if it's a problem that can be solved or not.

I have lived in houses with bad roach issues... the thing with those is, if you see one, then a bunch more are probably hiding in the walls. Pest control gets them inside the walls where they breed. They also like oak trees and mulch next to the house.

Good luck
July 13th, 2012, 09:13 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also don't know much about Australia. I really don't know much about roaches either as I live in a pretty dry area in the states. But I agree with Lara. It wouldn't hurt to call pest control if you are concerned. They would have a better idea about what is normal for the area or if they need treated.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

July 14th, 2012, 10:29 AM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey, I was just putting down some Borax to control fleas, and read that it can be used for cockroaches too. You may want to try it! Will Borax Kill Cats As Well As Fleas? - The People's Pharmacy®

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search