Pest control!!!! HELP!

Forum: Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, all you country mamas, I'm gonna go a little 'city girl' on ya... We just moved from the city to 50 acres in the middle of nowhere in April! Luckily the house is well sealed, and there are those silent 'mouse repellers' plugged into the basement outlets....and they seem to have been working well. But last night we had a mouse!!!!! ewwww In my kitchen!!! double ewwww! I really do NOT want to resort to traps.. (not because I'm worried about cruelty, but because that means I'd have to find and then touch a dead mouse!)

Do those plug in mouse repellers really work? Should I consider getting more of them? Are there other ways to prevent mice from getting in.
In all reality 1 mouse in almost 4 months is NOT a big deal, and it hasn't interfered with food in our cupboards etc. Also we had a busy day of coming in and out a lot, so it may have just walked right in the door.... I can't say for sure, but I did not sleep very well last night. WTH am I gonna do when it gets cold out and they start flocking indoors for warmth?!?! HELP!
July 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is what we did every fall when we lived in our old farmhouse.

- Go around the outside of your house and look extra close for any holes or cracks. Fill them with steel wool or expandable foam.

- We always put out sticky traps along the walls in the rooms we didn't use much. This way we could just toss out the mouse and sticky trap instead of dealing with the dead mouse in the other traps.

- We also put mouse poison in the attic and our unfinished basement (places where kids and pets were not allowed).

- We have also found that having an outdoor cat or 2 (or more in our case) helps keep the mice away. I'm sure an indoor cat would work just as well.

- Plug any holes that you find inside your house with steel wool too.

As for the electric mouse repellers, I personally never thought they worked very well but I know people that just swear by them. Hope that helps a little.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

July 19th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree about getting a cat. Our indoor/outdoor cat gets all the critters.....except that stupid mole.

July 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the tips! We do have 1 cat, she lives indoors, but goes outside during the day... We do have a lot of larger predators in the area and live off of a major hwy. I am not interested in getting any more cats indoors, and would be worried about losing outdoor ones to the above mentioned fates...
Our kitty spent so long inside our apartment that I don't know if she just needs more time, or if she's really useless, but she saw the mouse in the kitchen, cornered it and just wanted to play... She clearly had no intention to kill!

There have been no other signs of a mouse indoors, so here's hoping it ran outside never to return... (not exactly realistic I know, but just go with it for my sake!)
July 29th, 2012, 02:21 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hopefully just the smell of the indoor cat will keep most of the mice away.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search