Getting other's in the family to do their share

Forum: Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Housekeeping, Home Decor, and Organization LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2012, 05:18 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone else have problems with getting other family members to do their share of the housework?
Do you have any tips for getting others to help out?
What things would you like family members to help with?

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

October 21st, 2012, 05:59 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Yes yes yes yes. Ugh.

My SO has this thing about leaving his dishes on the kitchen table. I guess him mom always cleaned up after meals so he thinks I am going to. I literally have to remind him at EVERY meal to please put his dishes in the dish washer or to take them to the kitchen sink.

Pinterest
Flickr
October 21st, 2012, 08:29 AM
marlz_04's Avatar Member
LOL If you find the answer to this let me know. Both my older DDs are grubs.. I will have to nag the all day to clean their room.. by the end of it i'm in there.
My daughters and dh leave their clothes on the ground. dh leaves cups, plates, socks all aorund the house.. if hes looking for something he'll make a mess and leave it. if he is getting out clothes he will throw them on the floor.. I feel as if im the only person that does anything here.. drives me nuts.
October 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much have to nag to get my daughter to pick up after herself. I started this new thing where after dinner I give her 10 minutes to pick up anything laying around...if she left something I take off 5 minutes from her bedtime for every item left. LOL....that gets her in the cleaning mood...I've never seen her go so fast. It seems to be working so far......if only she'd just cleaned up after her mess right away.

Hubby is pretty helpful though...so I'm pretty lucky there.

October 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anyone else have problems with getting other family members to do their share of the housework? Defitely!!! I practically have to beg to get DH to put his dishes in the dishwasher (apparently there is a secret rule in our house that "if there are dirty dishes on the counter, then the dishes in the dishwasher must be clean." - He apparently doesn't understand that not all dishes are dishwasher safe and thus I wash them by hand.) I also have to beg him to take out the trash. Begging doesn't even work when it comes to the office mess. My 2 year old cleans up nothing. I am working with him on picking up toys, but he just doesn't seem to get it yet. And it is a total fight with my daughter to get her to to pick up her room.

Do you have any tips for getting others to help out? I am thinking about giving this a try for my kids eventually:

I am also thinking about making chore charts that have responsibility magnets as well as chore magnets that they can earn some money from doing. Something like this:

I'm also thinking about making something like this to see if it would help with the dishwasher problem:

What things would you like family members to help with? I would love for them to just clean up after themselves a little.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

October 23rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Veteran
I made up little chore charts - there isn't many things for one single person to do a day but as long as everyone sticks to it then all is relatively clean all the time. We do it all as a family at the same time so it's not like someone is working while someone is cleaning which I think helps with attitude about doing it. It's not perfect and we still have dissenters from time to time who think they are getting old enough to slip through the cleaning cracks - so they have something taken from them (something they love so it's different for each child). It seems to do the trick.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search