Vegetable Recipes

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mummy-juju

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Healthy Mamas LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Scarlet Starlet's Avatar Teleport Birthing Founder
I'm going to admit something that I'm ashamed of...I don't eat vegetables.

I'm like a 2 year old. I hate them.
I'll eat cut up cold celery and carrot sticks if I have ranch to dip them in, and I'll eat mushrooms in like pasta or on skewers but otherwise, not really a fan.

My DH and I are both very picky about vegetables, so here's the list of veggies that are banned from our house:
Cauliflower
Corn
Cucumbers
Brussels Sprouts
Onions
Peppers

So....we're really limited on what we'll eat.
Does anyone have recipes for YUMMY side dishes involving veggies?? I would really appreciate any help here!

My Ovulation Chart
|| Ovulation Tracker
September 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Bebe due 03-5-13
I'm not a vegetable lover either but I always like grilled vegetables like squash and zucchini. We do kabobs on the grill a lot and you can choose what each of you like!
September 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
LaceyMay2630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have heard of a recipe that I really want to try, I can't get DH to eat his veggies either, where you take cauliflower and basically turn them into mashed potatoes. Everyone I've talked to says there is absolutely no difference in taste or texture. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

My Ovulation Chart

September 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
mummy-juju's Avatar Veteran
I just posted a stew in a separate topic that incorporates celery, carrots, and tomatoes which you might be interested in. It's not a side dish, but it's an easy way to get your veggies without really tasting them!
September 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
naalie's Avatar Co Host of the March DDC
If you take zucchini and squash and pretty much cube them, toss them in oil (I use grapeseed because it doesn't turn into bad fats when heated), sprinkle with basil, oregano and salt (I use Himalayan pink salt). Bake at 350 for about 35 min or until tender. I add them to my lasagna bake.

Any noodle you like (I like rotini), boil as usual. Put it in a (I use glass square) baking dish. Mix in your favorite pasta sauce (I use Muir Glen organic garden veggie sauce). Drop dollops of ricotta and sprinkle with shredded cheese (I use the Organic Valley mixed Italian blend) and let bake at 350 for about 30 min (or until heated). Gives you a GREAT serving of veggies and tastes amazing!

~~~~
~~~~

September 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
naalie's Avatar Co Host of the March DDC
Have you tried spaghetti squash? It is yellowish/orange and more oval than round in shape.

1. Prick the spaghetti squash all over with a skewer and put it whole in the oven at 375 for about an hour.

2. Wait till it cools and cut it in half (longways). Gently remove seeds and inside stringy parts (like the inside of a pumpkin before the hard part).

3. Gently use a fork and scrape the pulp from the edge (it will come off in strands looking like thin spaghetti noodles).

4. I like to sprinkle with a liiiiiiiiiitle butter and salt before serving
OR
sautee with garlic and a little salt in a pan
OR
serve like a side dish of spaghetti with sauce

~~~~
~~~~

September 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
mummy-juju's Avatar Veteran
I second the spaghetti squash! I've used it in recipes and it's amazing how it does actually resemble spaghetti! I prepared it once with a red pasta sauce and served it to my husband without telling him what is was... He thought it was just a different recipe, and was shocked to find out it was squash!!!
naalie likes this.
September 17th, 2012, 07:47 PM
nessa_atx's Avatar Super Mommy
How does the spaghetti squash taste?? I've been craving PASTA! But of course, pasta is carb OVERLOAD! Soooo I've been thinking about trying spaghetti squash, just needed a noob-friendly recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyMay2630 View Post
I have heard of a recipe that I really want to try, I can't get DH to eat his veggies either, where you take cauliflower and basically turn them into mashed potatoes. Everyone I've talked to says there is absolutely no difference in taste or texture. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.
My twin sis made the "mashed potatoes" once... Honestly, she enjoyed it. I, on the other hand, did not. I'm not sure if it was cause I was craving mashed potatoes and deep down inside I knew it was califlower. Welll.... we ate meatloaf that night, and of course, it NEEDS mashed potatoes as a side. LOL, I'm sure it was just my head being stubborn though!!
September 18th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Toss what veggies you do like in olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and minced garlic and roast them.

I steam carrots, take a little of the water from the pot and mix it into some honey with some chili powder and a touch of salt to make a glaze for them. Goes well with fish.

DH eats like....two veggies consistently and one of them is corn so I'm not really much help. What about salads? Dressing fits everything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search