Fall weather, how about some stew? mmm...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Healthy Mamas LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 10th, 2012, 02:09 PM
mummy-juju's Avatar Veteran
I'm so happy we have this forum where we can post healthy recipes. I've been waiting to get my appetite back so that I can enjoy cooking and eating again. And these past few weeks I've been getting back on track! I hope there are some more ladies out there that enjoy cooking like I do!

I stick to a couple of rules when it comes to cooking...
1. Recipes should be generally healthy, but occasional indulgences are fine by me!
2. Recipes should use a minimal amount of dishes for easy clean up.
3. Ingredients should mostly already be in my pantry/fridge.

So here's my first contribution, a chicken stew adapted from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution cookbook. Everybody always loves this tasty stew. It does have an hour and a half cooking time (as any good stew should!), but it's a cinch to throw together. I usually serve it with a green salad, and either dumplings or crusty bread.

Ingredients
2 stalks celery
2 medium onions
2 carrots
olive oil
thyme/bay leaves (I use a tsp of thyme and two bay leaves; your preference)
1 heaped tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 lb diced, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 14ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cups liquid (I use 1 cup chicken stock & 1 cup apple juice; original recipe calls for white wine)
1/4 cup pearl barley (optional)
salt & pepper

Directions
1. Chop celery, onions, carrots and put in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat with a good lug of olive oil and chosen herb. Saute for 10 min.
2. Add flour and chicken to pot and give a stir. Immediately add tomatoes, liquid, barley if using, and a dash of salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to a simmer, put on lid and allow to cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove lid and add a bit more liquid if necessary. Adjust seasonings to taste. Allow to simmer for another 1/2 hour without lid.

Yummy!
September 10th, 2012, 03:17 PM
LaceyMay2630's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mouth is watering! Sounds SO good!

My Ovulation Chart

September 10th, 2012, 06:13 PM
naalie's Avatar Co Host of the March DDC
I loooove stews and soups.

Here's one I enjoy: (personally I get the organic everything because we eat mostly organic)

Split pea and "ham" (but not pork-based)

I use split peas that come in the bag at the store and rinse = drain them in a bowl (helps with gassiness)

Sautee three stalks of celery and one carrot (dice both before sautéing) with two tbs butter and sprinkle (just a shake) with celery salt and cumin powder.

When carrots and celery are cooked through, add a cubed Wellshire Farms Turkey Ham Steak (100% turkey, One should be plenty-Note, they are sold in slice packages in either the meats section or where the bacon is sold).

Immediately add one container of chicken stock and split peas and gently stir together. Let sit for an hour (covered) and adjust consistency as you like (I add a little more chicken stock because I like a little more soupy).

I loooooove this soup but you have to be a split pea soup fan to love anything split pea

~~~~
~~~~

September 10th, 2012, 07:01 PM
mummy-juju's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by naalie View Post
I loooove stews and soups.

Here's one I enjoy: (personally I get the organic everything because we eat mostly organic)

Split pea and "ham" (but not pork-based)

I use split peas that come in the bag at the store and rinse = drain them in a bowl (helps with gassiness)

Sautee three stalks of celery and one carrot (dice both before sautéing) with two tbs butter and sprinkle (just a shake) with celery salt and cumin powder.

When carrots and celery are cooked through, add a cubed Wellshire Farms Turkey Ham Steak (100% turkey, One should be plenty-Note, they are sold in slice packages in either the meats section or where the bacon is sold).

Immediately add one container of chicken stock and split peas and gently stir together. Let sit for an hour (covered) and adjust consistency as you like (I add a little more chicken stock because I like a little more soupy).

I loooooove this soup but you have to be a split pea soup fan to love anything split pea
mmmm. I love split pea soups! I've never heard of turkey ham steak though! I swear, here in Canada we don't have the same variety when it comes to dairy and meat; I think it has something to do with our food boards (if I remember my husbands rant correctly!).

« - | Healthy Mamas | Fish »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search