cute ways to tell family/friends?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to come up with a way to let everyone know. I won't do the big "facebook reveal" until 12 weeks, but my family and best friends will get to know earlier. I wanted to do something cute for DH but I literally only waited 5 minutes before I spilled to him, haha.

I was thinking of getting my son a Big Brother shirt and then having my parents over to dinner. Last time I told them about my DS, it was Valentine's Day and I wrapped them presents that were baby onesies that said "I Love Grandma" and "I Love Grandpa". But not sure what to do this time.

Has anyone else done something already or have any ideas?

*thank you*Kiliki*

July 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
That would be really cute! We didn't do anything cute for either girls.

July 28th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Veteran
When we told my MIL and FIL about my first son I bought a plain picture frame and decorated it with plastic diaper pins and baby stickers (rattles, teddy bears, duckies, etc) and put a paper in the frame that said "Baby Lastname TBD April 2011"

July 29th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Super Mommy
This is our first but I think I will tell family around 10 weeks or do y'all think I should wait till 12? Here are my ideas....

DH - I bought a sleeper with an elephant on it that says "my daddy loves me" when he opened it he said oh it's cute but how do you know we will have a boy someday. I said it is gender neutral but we will know for sure in April. He was so excited!

In-laws - their first grandchild. They do SO much for us so I am going to wrap up a tshirt and a picture and when I give it to them I will say " I could never repay you for all you do for us but when I saw this (u/s pic) I knew I had to get it for you.

My mom - my dad is passed - her 3rd grandchild. I am getting my nieces tshirts,with elephants that say " I am going to be a big cousin" and the have a parade with them through the house. Lol.

Yes I am a big planner. Also, elephants were very special to my dad and I.
kimberley and hearts.0nfire like this.
July 29th, 2012, 04:57 PM
mommy2Breana+Brandon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What about having your son hand the grandparents a u/s picture if you have one.

If not I like the big brother shirt idea.

Do you love food, entertaining, cooking?!?! Then you will LOVE Tastefully Simple. www.tastefullysimple.com/web/cpisch

July 29th, 2012, 07:27 PM
sarahb52's Avatar Veteran
For our reveal we are doing a T-shirt made up to say "Only Child Until April 4, 2013" putting it on him and not saying anything and waiting for them to realize what it means.
Capeladybug likes this.
July 30th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb52 View Post
For our reveal we are doing a T-shirt made up to say "Only Child Until April 4, 2013" putting it on him and not saying anything and waiting for them to realize what it means.

That's such a great idea ...we were actually planning on doing the same thing!!!

We were going to wait a while to tell everyone though just to be safe.
July 30th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
everyone has such great ideas! with dd i just said it to the world right as i found out. this time i will wait till at least 12 weeks due to losses and will probably but call everyone. but i love reading the ways you guys are coming up with

thank you shortcake for my lovely siggy

August 2nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran
My mom's birthday is coming up in two weeks. She only has one grandchild (my daughter) I'm going to find her a birthday card that says "from your grandchildren" and get her one of those charm necklaces with birthstones for myself, my two brothers, my daughter, and an April birthstone for the new bean! If she doesn't get it, I don't know what I'll do, lol!
August 2nd, 2012, 04:20 PM
Veteran
I've already spilled the beans to my parents, but a fun idea would be to invite your parents over for dinner and serve them baby theme food. Baby carrots, baby corn dogs, baby corn, baby peas, baby spinach, baby back ribs. It would be fun to see how long it takes to catch on!

August 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
With my last one, my husband and I had found out right after Christmas that I was pregnant, and even though we went to visit our families during that week, we didn't tell anyone. I knew I wanted to wait a while, just to be safe, even though we had always told early in the past. We ordered some of the special M&M's in pink, blue, and shimmery white. They said things such as "Boy?", "Girl?", "Baby Lastname #4", "Due in September". I also created my own poem and put them on cardstock and used different background scrapbooking paper. My girls all knew about it, but none of the rest of our families did. For Valentine's Day, I mailed out the poems and a small bag of M&M's in heart bags to our parents and all of our siblings. The suspense of waiting those couple of days for them to get them in the mail was insane, but it was so worth it when the calls started coming in. My mom was in tears.
August 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With my first, I sent my mom a mother's day and birthday card (her birthday is right around mother's day) from DH and I, but I included another one and signed it "love baby lastname, due November 2007."

With my second, I had to tell my mom over the phone because she and my step-dad were planning on flying out to see us a few months before DD2 was born; so I told her about it so she could time the visit with DD2's birth.

Not sure what we will do this time, though I was thinking of putting DD2 in a shirt that says "soon to be middle child" and sending a pic to my mom.

August 3rd, 2012, 03:48 AM
We've never really done anything fancy. This time I took a pic of the positive test and texted it to all of DH's family with "Coming April 2013. #14." (This is grandkid #14 lol).
Got some pretty fun return messages haha.

This weekend, I'm telling my parents. Just straight out. We'll see how that goes lol.

The Canadian Homeschooler - Resources for Canadian Homeschooling families.
Learning Titus 2 - my family & review blog
August 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Mommy in the Making
My DH and I have been taking one Polariod picture a day since we got married in October. We also did it for the first 2 years that we dated. Polariod pictures are such a big part of our lives! So today, I printed out a cartoon talk bubble (you know the bubbles above cartoons that tell you what they are saying to each other) and it said "Hi Dad!!". I taped it to my chest and held the postive pregnancy test over my belly and took the daily Polaroid pic. Then I left the picture face down in the living room where I knew he would pick it up to put it in our album. Later on, I was walking into the living room just as he was turning it over. When he saw it he looked at me quickly and said "You're Pregnant???? No? Really?? YEAH!!!" and picked me up off the ground and held me kissing me over and over. It was the perfect reaction!!
We will be trying to wait for at least 2 months before we tell our family...but I'm thinking about involving a Polariod picture too....maybe I'll make another sign and get DH to take a group shot with me holding the sign up where they can't read it....then show it to them as it develops!
Karilynn6 likes this.
August 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We want our daughter to announce it. I want to order her a shirt from etsy. I can't decide which one but I like the one that says on the front "Shhh I have a secret" and then on the back it says "I am going to be a big sister". I think she will love to be involved and be so excited!!!
August 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
I bought my parents a children's book called "Grandma, Grandpa, & Me" and I'm going to give it to them next week as an early birthday present for my Dad. It's their first grandchild, so they'd better get it right away. i also bought my mother the book "The Granny Diaries." She reads a lot so I think she'll enjoy it.

I'm still not sure how to tell the in-laws. I might try to make cake balls that look like babies since I make cake balls for a living and usually bring them some each time we visit.

If we already had a child, I would definitely go the sibling tshirt route. There are lots of cute options on etsy.
August 10th, 2012, 06:37 AM
hokie30sgirl's Avatar Member
We are telling our family in person... on Facebook (in a few weeks) we are saying:

Well, it's not the Disney World trip we planned, but our Spring Break trip is booked!!! And then posting a link to the Birthing in at our hossy- since I'm due during our kids spring break!

Pinterest has so many cute ideas... For a polarooid picutre they have a couple and the girl is holding a notecard that says "WE ARE" and the guy is holding a jar of spaghettie sauce "Prego!" Ha!
August 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Kenya's Avatar Expecting #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahb52 View Post
On Etsy there's a really cute shirt that looks like what you're describing.

only child shirt for big sister to be funny club by zoeysattic

For us, we're doing the t shirt that says "I'm going to be a big sister" for his parents and my dad. For my mom, her birthday is Monday so we plan on giving her her favorite bottle of wine and giving her a birthday card that is signed "Love, all of us and baby #2".
@ 2:55pm

6lbs - 10.7oz, 20 1/4 in long

Team Blue for Baby 2! Due in April

August 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Veteran
Well this will be Grandchild #1 on my DH's side and #5 on my side of the family

We have not told anyone about our TTC at all. It has been a pretty private matter for us even with all the medical assistance we have had done. WITH DH in the military we are FAR away from any family. We have decided to wait until we are out of the 1st trimester. NOT announcing on FACEBOOK until we know gender LoL

We thought about announcing with CHRISTmas cards considering we will find out in November/ December the gender! If it is a boy I plan on doing a card that says:

For BOY:
Snow flakes and hot chocolate
And children with toys
I can't imagine a more special time
To announce our bundle of joy!

On the inside with an ultrasound photo...

Did WE Forget to mention that IT'S A BOY!

FOR GIRL:

Snow flakes and hot chocolate
And children with toys
I can't imagine a more special time
To announce our bundle of joy!

On the inside of the card:

Our family wishes you a Merry Christmas
With lots of love and gifts with curls..

Oh By the way, IT's a GIRL!
Expecting #1 April 2013!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
cute ideas!! and ANellie, love that idea!! I'd never be able to wait that long lol. in case anyone is wondering I got my son a "big brother" shirt and announced to my family that way!

*thank you*Kiliki*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search