What are your thoughts on having a baby shower for this new baby

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM
sarahb52's Avatar Veteran
I have strange feelings about having another baby shower. But I had given all of our baby items to a girl at work who really needed them, so we don't actually have anything for this one. I feel kind of weird about asking people to do another one, when they had already done one for our last one. Unless it is a girl.
What are your thoughts on this? Am I just being hormonal?
August 3rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I think it's up to each individual on how they feel about repeat baby showers. We had a baby shower last year for our baby, but he was mine and dh's first baby together (he had no children) and there was a 7 year age gap between the baby and my youngest. So it was just like starting over with #1, now this time around we are not planning a shower, a good friend wanted to throw one but I declined as we still have all of Isaac's things and all the big stuff is gender neutral anyways, we will pick up a few pink girly items here and there just in case it's a girl. We might however do a diaper shower instead.

For me personally I wouldn't do another shower unless I had a bigger age gap than I do, our ds is 9 months old.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
There is going to be a 3 year gap between my 2.
August 3rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Super Mommy
Honestly and I really don't want to step on toes. I think a second baby shower is tacky :0(. If someone happens to throw you a surprise one then great but I wouldn't hint at another one. As for myself my family better start celebrating me now....lol. I give kick butt baby showers! I got shafted on my bridal shower by my side. My sister threw it together last minute. My Inlaws threw me this elegant extravaganza. I have the BEST Inlaws hands down! Oh off my soap box and please don't let me offend you.
August 3rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
when i had audie my dad said in are family you get a shower for every child but nothing as big as the first one. this time a few friends want to throw a small all girls one and im ok with it. my first one was a co ed huge party shower this time just small like 10-15 girls. and im paying for some of the food because i dont want them spending that much money on me. im hoping to throw scott a saprize diaper party since with audie he never got one because we had a co ed shower.

thank you shortcake for my lovely siggy

August 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Veteran
I'm not a fan of having a shower for a second+ child. I understand if you second child was born 6-7+ years after your first and with a different spouse. I will not ask or hint for a shower for our third child even though I have NOTHING left from my other two. My gf wanted to host a shower for my second child and I asked her not too. Many of my friends are pregnant or have children and I would like them to be able to spend their money on their family and not on me. I think surprise showers are great, but if I knew about someone doing one for me, I would politely decline.

August 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I think if someone offers to do one for you then go for it. Because I had mine so close and found out she was a girl I didn't want one because I already had everything. Should we ever decide we do want another child if someone offers I would probably let them do it.

August 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
That was kind of my thought as well.
August 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one offered to throw a baby shower for me with my daughter, so if someone offered during this pregnancy I would probably say yes. I doubt anyone will though since no one offered the first time around. We gave everything away when my daughter was 1 1/2 because we had friends who needed things and we weren't sure if we were going to have more kids so we will be starting from scratch again.
August 4th, 2012, 03:42 AM
I personally believe that every new baby should be celebrated. Although maybe not with a gift-giving shower, but a special party or such. In my family of inlaws, this will be baby 14 and we've had a baby party for every one of them. Just a lunch, or a spa day or something fun - not always 1000s of presents. Just a "she's having a baby" bash.
hearts.0nfire and Capeladybug like this.

The Canadian Homeschooler - Resources for Canadian Homeschooling families.
Learning Titus 2 - my family & review blog
August 4th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I agree that every baby should be celebrated, I know even though this is mine and dh's second baby tother, both sides of the family are just as excited as they were last year with our first. Some people like to do a baby sprinkle for those who have most of what they need, or babies closer together, even diapers showers are neat.

I am sure both sides will be buying baby stuff and sending it, even though we have most of what we need. SIL was already starting a baby blanket last month before we got pg.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 4th, 2012, 10:24 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I am not a big fan of showers for children after the first, unless there is a huge age gap or you are pregnant with multiples. I think ti's difficult to ask people to spend money over and over, especially with a tough economy and if your kids are close together. I had two for my first, but my friends wanted to do a separate one from the family so that was the reason behind it. Last year, my sisters insisted on a shower because there was 9 1/2 years between my youngest and the baby, and they figured I didn't have anything. I tried to decline, and they wouldn't take no for an answer. They had also planned one for me at work, but I had to go out on bed rest before we had it.

I think if someone offers, accept it graciously, but I wouldn't ask someone to throw me a shower for any pregnancy, but definitely not for subsequent ones. I have heard quite a bit in recent years about diaper showers, and those are a nice thing for people who want to celebrate mom and baby and still don't have to spend a fortune for the "big" gifts.
August 4th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think all babies should be celebrated in some way...I got one for my first and none for my second....what I am suppose to put in the baby books....Sorry Mackenzie you didnt get one...

August 4th, 2012, 07:15 PM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that every baby should be celebrated also but I dont think that after your first baby shower it should be a huge event. A small party with $10 or less gifts or diaper shower or something is fine but otherwise I dont like it. I didn't have a shower with my son there was only a 2 year gap but different gender. I actually just sold all my baby stuff not too long ago so we will be starting from scratch but that was my choice.

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

August 5th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Veteran
I was thinking about this topic myself. Since my youngest will be almost 12 when the baby is born it is ok to have a shower? I still have a few things left but gave away alot. I actually never had a shower for my other 2 kids. We haven't got much family nearby and our family had a party/shower when my kids were 2 and 6 mos in our old hometown in another state.

August 5th, 2012, 08:58 AM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i think asking for one is kind of rude unless you like hint to your bff that you want one . i know that my mom or my friend Kari or both will throw a baby shower along with DB's work cause that is just how they are. But from what i have heard most people feel it is okay if you have one for each Gender. I feel like you should celebrate each birth so like when my bff starts having kids i am throwing her one no matter how many babies she has lol
August 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I think it is ridiculously tacky. To give all your things away, then expect people to buy you all new things? Don't think so. Unless there's a HUGE age difference, or if it is one partner's first baby, there is no need for another shower. Most times people will bring gifts/outfits when they come to visit the baby. I agree all babies should be celebrated but you don't need a shower to do so.
~*Mandy*~ and Capeladybug like this.

August 6th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Its funny the amount of differences in opinion people have! I honestly never thought or cared about which # baby the shower was for when I would go to people's showers. I have gone to second and third baby showers and thought nothing of it. I'm excited for my friends who are pregnant and want to celebrate their new baby with them, regardless of what number it is. I don't think there is anything tacky about it. Having a shower isn't an expectation of expensive gifts in my opinion. Its a time for people to get together and play stupid games and have fun and celebrate a new baby. I had people come to my shower and give me only a card, and I was thrilled that they came to celebrate with me.

That being said, I will not plan for a big shower with this new baby, but I'm sure my mom will want to throw one, and if so I will not have a registry. people can bring, or not bring whatever they want. I think people LOVE buying cute baby clothes anyway. I will just be excited to have all my close friends and family together and celebrating a new child in our lives.
~*Mandy*~ likes this.

*thank you*Kiliki*

August 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM
.*.H&HMomma.*.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to .*.H&HMomma.*. Send a message via Yahoo to .*.H&HMomma.*.
My Mom has her thoughts on it and she thinks I shouldn't since it is my third. I know though if I ask my mother in law she would have one for me. I think if this baby is a girl then it would be nice because all I have is boy stuff and my carseat has expired. I dunno I guess we shall see the outcome.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to add that I think its different having a family shower and a friend shower. I wouldn't feel comfortable having another family shower but if I worked outside of the home and friends or co-workers wanted to do a little something thats fine but I wouldn't expect anything. Actually even though we sold most of our baby things I'm excited to purchase everything new/myself this time around becuase that way I can get exactly what I want.

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search