Telling the other children?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CrochetingMama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 02:19 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
When do you plan on letting your other kids (if applicable) know that you are pregnant? What were their reactions if you've already said something to them?

I told my 3 year old before I even told my SO. Her reaction was freaking priceless. I whispered to her "Guess what? I've got a baby in my belly." Her head snapped toward me, and she stared at my belly. "Where?" She asked. "Right here," I said, pointing to my lower abdomen. "You can't see it, but its there."

Well...she took 'you can't see it' as a challenge and had the hem of my dress up over her head before I even realized what she was doing, so she could have a look at the baby.

MamaFish likes this.
August 7th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so torn on this. I know if I tell her, she will tell everyone. I don't want to tell her not to tell because that isn't fair to her. I want to order a shirt for her that says, "I have a secret" on the front and on the back says, "I am going to be a big sister!" and then have her wear it and have family notice. If I tell her before, there is a good chance she will spill the beans.

Also, I have my first doctor's appt tomorrow and I have to bring her with me. She is going to overhear, so I don't know what I should do? I could lie about where I am going and have my mom watch her I guess. Hmmm...
August 7th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Veteran
I know my kids will spill the beans if I tell them, so they won't know until right before I announce. We are getting family pictures taken a week after my ultrasound and my photographer is going to take a picture of us announcing and will print it right away so I can announce that way. I'm pretty sure everyone will be shocked because NO ONE expects me to be pregnant!!!! I will tell them right before we go to family's house with the picture to announce.

August 7th, 2012, 06:08 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
This is a tough one. My youngest will be 1 next week so I'm not sure she would really even comprehend, especially this early on. When baby comes home to stay, though, I don't think she'll be that happy.

My other three are all older, and I don't anticipate that it will go well. For many years after my 3rd was born, we joked with the older ones about me being pregnant. So, when we were pregnant with the 4th, they didn't believe us at first. My 15 1/2 year-old, especially, does not want any more siblings. Both her and the next oldest were always on me to take my pills because I am TERRIBLE at remembering. That's why I used to be on NuvaRing, but I couldn't this time because I was nursing. Well, clearly, Mom missed some pills. I think, once the baby is here, it will be okay, but I don't really think the oldest 3 are going to be that happy about it.
August 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
For Bronwyn, probably will wait a bit. She is still having jealousy issues with Amelia, and the fact that her mom can be a bit dramatic(when Adam told her of Amelia, she told him he ruined her life)

For Amelia we tell her a lot lol. Sometimes she stops destroying the house to give a dirty look, or a smile. Other times she doesn't bother stopping the destruction!
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
August 7th, 2012, 06:37 AM
.*.H&HMomma.*.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to .*.H&HMomma.*. Send a message via Yahoo to .*.H&HMomma.*.
My 5 year old DS is exstatic! When I told him he jumped up and down and said "yay yay"! He only wants a baby sister though..lol Hunter my 3 year old kind of understands I think he will a bit more when my belly gets bigger.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 7th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We told our DS on Sunday. It took him a while for him to beleive us, but once he did, he was really happy. I was so worried about how he would feel since he has been an only child for so long. We let him tell our parents so he felt included, and he was thrilled to tell the news. It got me all teary eyed
August 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM
dyeanotherday's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is 2 and he gets it at first he was disinterested and said that he didn't want a baby he wanted a kid, a kitty and some candy, then it switched to the baby could come out of mommies tummy but it has to sleep on the couch not in his room, now it is the baby can come and stay in his room but the baby need to find another mommy and daddy cause he is not sharing
August 7th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran
My two year old is in the stage where she loves babies, but she doesn't really understand. (She just turned two a couple months ago.) We watched a movie where a woman had a baby, and we asked if Mommy and Daddy should get a baby, and she always says "yes" to that question. She says she does want a baby in the house. When we watched the scene where the woman was in labour, my daughter was saying "uh oh, uh oh, pain!" and "Stop! Stop doing that to the Mommy!" so I guess she gets some things...don't really know what to do except read books and watch movies with her. She seemed to understand that the Mommy on tv was really happy when the pain was over and she had her baby...but she's not at the stage where she's going to tell someone her mommy is having a baby, so we don't have to worry about that.
August 7th, 2012, 03:07 PM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I told my 4.5 year old daughter and she is over the moon excited. She keeps wanting to watch the pregnancy development pictures and stuff too see how big the baby is each day. She did tell my MIL but my MIL told her she was full of beans HAHA! It took all of me from busting out laughing.

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

August 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Bayamount
i told my 5 year old almost 2 weeks ago. for three days she pooped on her bedroom floor and in her bath, but now she's ok. we were shocked and had no idea how to react!! just kept telling her she's my big girl and always will have her special place here no matter what. She answered "i know mom!!" all the time in an annoyed way lol
August 7th, 2012, 08:47 PM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
I told my older girls a few weeks ago and they were thrilled. I might wait until we hear a hb (13 weeks) before telling the boys and my 3 yo dd.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
August 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM
libbeylou's Avatar Veteran
your story is priceless! So sweet!

I'm waiting until the first ultrasound on 8/29 to tell the kids and close family. I know my daughter is going to be so excited! She has been asking for a baby brother or sister since she could talk!

I think I'm going to find some big brother (again) and big sister shirts to give them as a surprise. It will be fun to see the confusion on their face as they try to figure out why I would give them shirts that say that. I can't wait!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search