What would you do? Family vacay coming up soon!

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MellowYellow

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM
libbeylou's Avatar Veteran
HELP! I need some advice from my fellow mommies-to-be!

We are leaving for a WEEK LONG family vacation on Saturday with my husband's side of the family. His sister and her family and his parents will all be there along with us. I wasn't planning to tell anyone about the baby until we have our first ultrasound on 8/29.

I know lots of wine and margaritas will be involved at this reunion and I'm worried I won't be able to avoid it without notice. I can just see my SIL blurting out in front of everyone "ARE YOU PREGNANT or something???" To which I will be unable to hold a straight face to respond with "what are you talking about???" And the beans will be spilled about our little bean, lol!!

I know there are worse things that could happen, but I have special plans for telling my kids about the baby, so I don't want them to find out this way.

What would you do?

Tell SIL (to keep it secret) and no one else?
Tell SIL *and* MIL... so MIL doesn't get her feelings hurt?
Or try to make it through the week without anyone noticing (SO HARD!!)?

Thank you, MaineBean for the peep siggy!
August 9th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Mommy in the Making
This is going to be an issue for me too! During the 2WW I don't drink, but can't keep a straight face when anyone says "what are you pregnant?" I wasn't even pregnant but my reactions before led everyone to believe I was and just not telling them....so this last month, I ordered cranberry and tonics. They look just like a cocktail, and I think taste even better than a real one!
Can you try to always have a non-alcoholic margarita in your hand? Take small sips so that no one tries to fill it up with the real kind :-) Maybe your husband can help to always be the first to ask if you need a refill and secretively not add the alcohol?
libbeylou likes this.
August 9th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
Can you try to always have a non-alcoholic margarita in your hand? Take small sips so that no one tries to fill it up with the real kind :-) Maybe your husband can help to always be the first to ask if you need a refill and secretively not add the alcohol?
This sounds like a good idea! I don't drink at all so I never have had to deal with this problem but I can see how frustrating it would be! Say you're watching your waistline ... or order separately just a Sprite or something so it looks like there "may" be alcohol in it.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

August 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowYellow View Post
hmmm, this might work!! I'll get hubby in on the act! Thanks

I was also thinking I would just do all the bartending, and hopefully no one would notice that my drink is different!

August 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drama.geek View Post
I'm worried about this too, as soon as I pass on drinking they'll be all over me. Wow, that makes it sound like I'm a lush.
haha!! This is exactly what I'm dealing with! My SIL will be all over me about why I'm passing up a drink...i'm not an alcoholic by any means, but I rarely (um, NEVER!) pass up a good margarita!

August 9th, 2012, 01:13 PM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
I definitely agree with the other ladies. I would be making virgin drinks. Hopefully your trip goes really well and they don't suspect a thing.

August 9th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Karilynn6's Avatar Proud first time Mommy!
If they ask why you're not drinking at any point, you could say that you have a little headache and don't want to make it worse. If they bring it up again, you can say that you're casually trying to get pregnant and dont want to risk anything. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search