Ok to wait until 8 weeks for a checkup?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know some dr make u wait until 8 weeks to go in I could go. Ext week I'll be 5 weeks we are switching insurance tho and I know when I go back to kaiser thell re do every test so is there any harm in waiting for new insurance I would be 8 weeks at that time
August 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I don't think so, some OBs don't even see pg women until 12 weeks. I wont have a "real" drs appointment until around 14 weeks (my choice), right now I am under the care of my Re, who does blood work and then my ultrasound next week, after that I'm released to my ob, she will order another u/s 2 weeks later and then I wont see her til my second trimester. I do it this way because there is not much else they can do right now for me, I have a doppler to check in on my own, and I am so done being poke and probed for awhile lol.

Anyways, nope, I think it's just fine to wait til 8 weeks.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Perfectly fine! My ob will not see normal-risk patients until 10 weeks. If you were high risk or had some issues with previous losses or something, sooner would be better, but in most cases, 8 weeks would be just fine.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

August 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
I've never been before 12 weeks.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
August 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
~*Mandy*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wont be seen by the DR. until 9 weeks (unless I'm further along which could be possible). I do have an appointment on the 20th (my birthday) for the nurse history crap.

*Thank you *Sharon* for my amazing siggy!*

August 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor's office doesn't see people until they are 12 weeks unless they are higher risk. I have been going to my primary care doctor for blood work because of a previous loss and they will watch me more closely for now.
August 10th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I went in to my doctor on Monday just to confirm, they did a test & told me what to eat, what vitamins to take, etc.

My "first" appointment is when I'm 8w2d ... because I'm considered low-risk

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

August 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea I do t know what risk I am this is my first thanks for calmin my nerves I'll wait it out
August 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
My OB with my oldest wouldn't see me until I was through the 1st trimester. That was pretty standard at the time of my 2nd and 3rd, too. My last one I was about 6-7 weeks at the nurse visit and then 11 at the time of my midwife visit. This time around, they told me they won't schedule the nurse visit until 7 weeks, and then they scheduled the midwife visit for a week after while I was on the phone with them. 8 weeks is totally normal.

August 11th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Regular
My dr.s have always been very hands off. I visit w the nurse sometime before 11 weeks, then we listen for the heartbeat at 12 weeks. I've never understood how a many people get tons of u/s bc all of my obs have only done one.
August 11th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarah3 View Post
My dr.s have always been very hands off. I visit w the nurse sometime before 11 weeks, then we listen for the heartbeat at 12 weeks. I've never understood how a many people get tons of u/s bc all of my obs have only done one.

Most OB's only do one unless there is reason to do more such as high risk. Some also do a dating u/s in the start for those with irregular cycles and need a edd, then they will have their regular 20 week u/s as well. With my kids I usually had 2-4 u/s's, but with #4 I had around 8 u/s's because of issues.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 11th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
Most OB's only do one unless there is reason to do more such as high risk. Some also do a dating u/s in the start for those with irregular cycles and need a edd, then they will have their regular 20 week u/s as well. With my kids I usually had 2-4 u/s's, but with #4 I had around 8 u/s's because of issues.
That would be the logical explanation. But many of my friends w low risk pregnancies, even first pregnancies, who are very aware of their due dates, get about three u/s. the only explanation I've come up w is that I choose the wrong obs! Of course I'm sure they pay for those u/s.
August 13th, 2012, 10:09 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just scheduled my appts this morning. I'll have the "talk to the nurses" intake appt at 8 weeks and then will see my doc and hopefully hear the heartbeat at 11 weeks.

Last time I had a couple of early appts which included u/s because I had red spotting. It was nerve-wracking, although now I'm having deluded thoughts of "gee, I wonder if maybe I'll have some spotting again so I can justify having an early u/s to see the heartbeat sooner!"

But then I snap back and realize, no, that's stupid, better to have a boring first trimester that gives me no problems instead of something potentially stressful and threatening to the baby.

August 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Baby #6 EDD 5/25/14
My doc always has his patients schedule an u/s (to measure, and check for the heartbeat), and appt with him right after to get script for prenatal vitamins and stuff, at 8wks along. I am having my blood drawn on Wed, and then Fri, to make sure my levels are where they should be...I've had a couple miscarriages, in the past. So, he is kind enough to order the tests for my sanity. I am going to buy some prenatal vitamins today, just to get a head start!
Karen (34), mom to five (soon six) beautiful children....DS (15), DD (7), DS (6), DS (2), DD (5mos) and expecting baby #6 late May 2014!!!*Please do not mention on FB*

Pregnancy stats for baby #6, due late May 2014:
BFP (approx) 8dpo
(approx) 10dpo= HCG-31
(approx) 12dpo= HCG-123
(doubling time of 22.73 hours!!! )
8wk u/s appt scheduled for Oct. 14th

Prgnancy stats from baby #5:
13dpo= HCG-120, P4-20.5
19dpo= HCG-1427, (P4 was not taken again)
Doubling time = 40.31hrs
27dpo= HCG-19,935
Doubling = 50.47hrs (from 19dpo to 27dpo)
First doc appt & u/s scheduled for Sept 10th

pregnancy stats from baby #4:
12dpo= HCG 112
15dpo= HCG 586
Doubling time= 30.16

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search