Dopplers?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Anyone have or will be buying a doppler? I have one and have already been trying it, thanks to people on youtube getting a hb at early as 7.3 weeks. I found ds last year at 8.4 weeks so I know I still have about another week before I can REALLY get excited to hear something. But I am still hoping to find it before then, might try again this weekend. More waiting, waited to ovulate, waited 9 days after that to finally get my bfp, waited for beta, waited for the u/s, and now I'm waiting for faith baby to grow big enough to hear

Just in case you are not sure what you are listening for if you are new to dopplers, Isaac's 8 weeks 4 day hb video is the link below. It took awhile to find him, and I even confused my own arteries and hb for his until I finally found the faster one lol.

Sonoline B Fetal Doppler at 8 weeks 4 days - YouTube

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 23rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
seri0uslyc0nfused's Avatar Just Confused....
I have a cheap one and it didn't even work until like 20 weeks with my DS. I don't really want to spend the money since this is our last baby, but I am tempted. I could always sell it when I'm done

August 23rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't buy one, no... buuuuuut I may see if any of my local girlfriends have one in a few weeks for me to borrow and try out. I haven't told them yet, and it's clearly way too early, but I don't even get to talk to a nurse for another 2.5 weeks, so I'm eager for some confirmation.

Like last pregnancy, I mostly feel great- just hungry and tired- so it's hard to "feel pregnant." And I worry it's all a big lie. So, if someone has a doppler I can borrow next month, I might try my hand at finding the HB myself. We'll see... I don't want to make myself nuts if I can't find it and then start the panic train.

August 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seri0uslyc0nfused View Post
I have a cheap one and it didn't even work until like 20 weeks with my DS. I don't really want to spend the money since this is our last baby, but I am tempted. I could always sell it when I'm done
I got mine on Ebay brand new, but if you choose to go that route I will pm you who I went through so you DONT go through them. The first one I bought worked for a month then it developed a short in the cord, so stupidly I bought another from the same place, and in 2 weeks another short. One is still useable but I have to hold it a certain way. I wont buy another one since I spent enough for 2
seri0uslyc0nfused likes this.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 23rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
seri0uslyc0nfused's Avatar Just Confused....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
I got mine on Ebay brand new, but if you choose to go that route I will pm you who I went through so you DONT go through them. The first one I bought worked for a month then it developed a short in the cord, so stupidly I bought another from the same place, and in 2 weeks another short. One is still useable but I have to hold it a certain way. I wont buy another one since I spent enough for 2
eBay is where I had been looking, they seem to have the best prices. So yes, please do let me know!!

August 23rd, 2012, 09:20 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I have one. That said, I don't think it's generally a good practice. We get lots of women calling because they can't find the baby's heartbeat for one of a thousand reasons. And at home dopplers don't find heartbeats til usually 10+ weeks. What people hear most often is maternal. I think it gives people something else to worry about. I feel the same way about continuing to take pregnancy tests after you get a positive, and non medical ultrasounds.

August 23rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Regular
i would like one, but dont think ill get one
August 23rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
my sister has one that she wants to give to me, I just wonder if it's going to make me panic when I can't find the HB & then turn me into a crazy psycho with this machine

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

August 23rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missa_Mae View Post
my sister has one that she wants to give to me, I just wonder if it's going to make me panic when I can't find the HB & then turn me into a crazy psycho with this machine
If you have anxiety.. the last thing you want to do is get a doppler. Trust me. LOL
seri0uslyc0nfused likes this.

August 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
We bought a Sonoline recently.. haven't tried it yet.. still too early

August 23rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Kenya's Avatar Expecting #2
We bought one last pregnancy that is hospital quality. Found the heartbeat at 9ish weeks and it definitely gave me a peace of mind. We bought it on ebay for $100. I can't remember the brand but when we head back home, I can post it for those interested in buying one.
@ 2:55pm

6lbs - 10.7oz, 20 1/4 in long

Team Blue for Baby 2! Due in April

August 23rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
I think for some women it could cause more stress, but for me it helped. I did find Isaac earlier than some, there was another in my old DDC that found hers a couple days earlier than me. After I found him I did have a few other times that I could not find him, although I was a bit worried I also knew the chances that he was simply hiding were pretty good. It was nice to have the ability to check on him myself at home when that sudden worry of "is he okay" came into my mind. This time I was much more relaxed, and know what to expect with timing of hearing the hb for me anyways.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace View Post
The first one I bought worked for a month then it developed a short in the cord, so stupidly I bought another from the same place, and in 2 weeks another short. One is still useable but I have to hold it a certain way. I wont buy another one since I spent enough for 2

Same here! I have a sonoline B and it has a short in the cord and I have to push on it really hard in order to be able to hear anything. If I can remember where I put it, i'll probably pull it out next week or so. I normally don't start hearing the hb until about 10 weeks.

August 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought a cheap one at the maternity store last time and couldn't hear anything other than my heartbeat/ pulse even at 20+ weeks. It is tempting to pick up a higher quality one. I never thought to look on ebay!
August 23rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What do they run? What's the best brand
August 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not convinced U/S are safe but I do have a stethoscope that I intend to use, but I guess they start to pick up around 18 weeks, 10 more weeks! lol
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.
August 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyS View Post
What do they run? What's the best brand
I like the sonoline B, I got mine for around 58$

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
August 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
my doctro told me not to even think about it lol he said i will lose my mind with one hes right i dont need to try to play doctor and get all worried for nothing. but if a friend had one i would so try to use it once lol.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

thank you shortcake for my lovely siggy

August 23rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
I rented one from storkradio.com and used it a ton during my first pregnancy and then rented again in my second pregnancy and barely used it.
August 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
I'm not convinced U/S are safe but I do have a stethoscope that I intend to use, but I guess they start to pick up around 18 weeks, 10 more weeks! lol

I agree 200%. It makes me crazy when people go to those 3d/4d ultrasound places that have zero medical training. Research shows that higher amounts of ultrasounds are linked to low amniotic fluid levels. and fyi for those people who insist on going to those sneak peek/4d ultrasound places for gender determination.. you have as good a chance as flipping a coin. I've had numerous patients come in and freak out when the baby is born because what the place told them was wrong. one came in with pink car seat/clothes/blankets, EVERYTHING.. and the baby came out wielding a penis. Please leave the ultrasounds to the medical professionals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search