Toddlers in tiaras

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hearts.0nfire
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 4th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Bayamount
Ok, so im gonna try and ask a question again. I just ask please, respect everyones answer and choices, since this can be a sensitive subject once again.

Have you seen that show? What do you think?

Here's what i think: I dont think a 2 year old can -decide- to do pagents and to go on stage but i mean, if really the parents try and she loves it, than she does. if she cries and fits, i think it should stop.

I also think that for the older ones, some parents are shown to be acting like tyrants... (what tv shows and what reality is can be different so im trying reaaally hard to keep an open mind about this and cose my words right) it should be the kid's choice to be up there, not the parents long lost dream. I find some moms super cool, others very scary.

I wouldnt bring my child there because of the ambiance...

I majorly disagree with the tanning. pagents should discourage it. it cant be good for the child...
September 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM
blueeyes25s's Avatar Expecting #1
I only seen that show once, just becuase of curiosity and will never watch it again. I am ok with kids of all ages to be in beauty pageants if they want to be but I am not ok with the kids tanning, wearing make up like 18 year olds, etc. Most of the kids do act like tyrants and it's just not right to allow that but becuase of the life style they are being a part of is the reason why...

That is just my opinion.

Forever missing my angel 2010

September 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
It's kind of a train wreck type of a show, but then again there are few reality shows that are not, seems like the more drama the more people like it. I really like more wholesome shows, but back on the subject, I wouldn't put my dd in tiny skimpy dresses with wigs and heavy makeup, she can look like she's 18 when she is 18. I also think some of those parents let their kid run all over them, screaming and throwing temper tantrums is not a cute little "diva" like the moms try to play it off to be, it's a brat.

One episode I did see that made me really angry was the mom that basically could care less about her dd, and was much to worried about her ds winning the pageant. I was thrilled when he dd won, her ds wasn't that cute, and she made me angry.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
September 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally don't believe in beauty pageants, especially for children.
That being said, the show is probably greatly exaggerating what it's really like for ratings. Terrible, terrible show.
September 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Bayamount
i dont wanna say i find it terrible, cause i dont want to offend anyone, but i kinda do :s i am open to other opinions though....and to listen. but most moms we see on there... i dont think they have their child best interest at heart
September 4th, 2012, 09:31 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's child labor I'm not sure I ever made it through a full episode, I've tried to watch it (out of curiosity) but it just made me angry.
September 5th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Veteran
mandy - you like opening up the controversial topics!

i don't have an opinion on that show, mainly i just put it down to a relatively unique american phenomenon. pageants aren't that big in australia, i don't think!

i'm sure some kids love it and thrive on it and for others it's the worst ever. but is it any different to playing a sport you don't like, or learning the piano? i don't know.

so what's the next controversial topic - breastfeeding or attached parenting?
September 5th, 2012, 05:00 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I have never watched the show, but recently in the news there was a 5 year old little girl who was on the show and the mom put fake boobs and a butt on her. I guess the idea was that she was supposed to look like a mini Dolly Parton. I thought that was twisted. I think they were investigating the mom for some kind of abuse and that was why it was in the news. Why in the world would you do that to a 5 year old??
September 5th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastikmom View Post
I have never watched the show, but recently in the news there was a 5 year old little girl who was on the show and the mom put fake boobs and a butt on her. I guess the idea was that she was supposed to look like a mini Dolly Parton. I thought that was twisted. I think they were investigating the mom for some kind of abuse and that was why it was in the news. Why in the world would you do that to a 5 year old??

I seen this on the news as well, at first I thought why would a mom do that? But then I thought about all the movies little kids are in playing parts that I couldn't be paid enough to let my dc play. Lifetime is actually one of the networks that had movies before with young children playing some really sad scenes, so I do kinda find it weird that if they are "acting" a bad part in a movie it's okay, but "acting" a part in a pageant makes the news. Not saying the fake boobs is okay, I would not do that either, just saying if the critics are going to pull something out of a show with kids that is wrong, they need to also check with Hollywood and some of the movies with kids.

None the less the moms are always pushing the envelop, they think the more shocking it is the higher the score will be.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
September 5th, 2012, 06:33 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
If a kid likes doing pageants (like my friends kid) then that's great, but I really don't like Toddlers and Tiaras. It disgusts me what some of the parents will do just for the sake of winning (and of course it's more for themselves then the kids) and just how adult they make them look when they are just kids. I remember before the Dolly Parton thing one mom dressed her kid as Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman with the outfit, boots, and wig.
HalfDozen likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 08:55 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There was also a mom that was making her kid get botox injections, I think the girl was 7 years old.
September 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aside from some of the obvious physical icky things that are eyebrow raising (fake teeth? tanning?), the amount of money that is spent on all the stuff is outrageous. I mean, the few episodes I've seen parts of, it doesn't look like any of these folks are rolling in piles of cash, yet they think nothing of dropping a couple of thousand dollars on an absurd gown. Hello!? Look, I bellydance and could spend that much on a costume, but I'm lucky to be able to afford $75-200 every couple of years to enhance my wardrobe, and *I don't grow out of it in a year!*

For kids that like the spotlight (hell, I would have loved to strut around in fancy dresses as a kid), keeping it casual can be fun. But the segment they focus on on the show seem to have more money (or not)/time than brains!

September 5th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Bayamount
princessrory- my name is isabelle, mandy is my dh's youngest

its not so much about starting controversial topics... its more like... i go through things during the day and start wondering.. am i judging? what are ppl's opinions on this...

i do start sill topics sometimes too like whats ur favorite song or whatever. but im a curious person who wants to hear what ppl have to say

you all have -very- intersting things to say!

last night, it was on tv, and it got me wondering.. why do parents do this? what am i not gettin? One of the moms was super pissed because her daughter won "princess" wich is, according to her, a loser title. she completly lost it. the little girl kept crying, she was 2 and clearly did not want to be there. and the father did talk, just did whatever the mom wanted him to. so i thought... is it really like that, or is it the show wanting to project that image, or what?
September 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I actually have a very strong opinion on this, but I think I will mainly leave it at this: that show disgusts me. I don't understand the fascination with it. And my oldest loves the "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo", which is a spin-off of that. I feel the same way about that and tell her to change the channel every time it's on.
*Anya* likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 11:09 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayamount View Post

last night, it was on tv, and it got me wondering.. why do parents do this? what am i not gettin? One of the moms was super pissed because her daughter won "princess" wich is, according to her, a loser title. she completly lost it. the little girl kept crying, she was 2 and clearly did not want to be there. and the father did talk, just did whatever the mom wanted him to. so i thought... is it really like that, or is it the show wanting to project that image, or what?
Like I said in my comment, I think a lot of the parents are living vicariously through their children. If their kid wins a lower title, they feel like they won 3rd place and that pisses them off when really it's fantastic that their child got a title. It's just ridiculous.

September 5th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayamount View Post
princessrory- my name is isabelle, mandy is my dh's youngest
oops! sorry - my bad!
September 5th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Bayamount
haha no need to be sorry dear its just so u know smile!!!
September 6th, 2012, 04:15 AM
That show brought me to tears. I will never watch it again. :0(

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search