Stocking up on diapers...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Jaxon04NTaylor08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you stocking up on diapers? How many in each size are you getting?

We are starting to stock up... Ive been couponing and getting good deals on them so I have 3 packs of pampers newborn and a pack of Huggies size 1 diapers so far

September 5th, 2012, 09:12 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have all the cloth diapers we need for the later months and plan to do another newborn rental service for the early months. We'll pick up some disposables when we're closer as we're too lazy to do cloth overnight.

September 5th, 2012, 09:26 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yup, I do cloth but I started building my stash, I have 3 and 3 more en route and as soon as I get more paypal I'll be buying more
September 5th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
we plan on doing cloth we will start stocking soon also tho well do diaper raffles for baby showers and costco when we buy the costco ones are great prices
September 5th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I am too nervous to buy anything yet LOL

We got a gift in the mail today from my SO's brother & his g/f. It's a cute little onsie, a toy and a really funny book.
plastikmom likes this.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

September 5th, 2012, 09:50 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, not yet. I don't plan on stocking up too much, necessarily. You just never know how quickly you'll go through each size. My little girl started out in newborns (which were really too big at first), and VERY slowly progressed through the sizes up to size 3. We never got past that before she was potty trained. But plenty of babies skip newborn size (or don't stay in it very long), or move through the sizes pretty quickly. You just never know. So if anything, I won't probably get more than a pack or so of a couple of the smaller sizes, and go from there.

September 5th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Super Mommy
We will stock up,on NB,1&2.
September 5th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I won't stock up on diapers because with my son, I got a ton given to me and from the hospital and ended up not being able to use them. His body type just didn't work with the Huggies I had every single diaper leaked. It wasn't a matter of size, it was just how they fit. Literally every single diaper leaked. Pampers Swaddlers were the only thing that worked as a NB with him. My daughter was opposite, Huggies diapers for her and worked MUCH better. I cloth anyway and have plenty of those but I'll wait till baby is here and see what works best for us in the first weeks when I'm using disposables. I'll get enough from the hospital to get us through the first few days at home anyway

September 5th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Regular
I think I'd like to use cloth, but not sure - what are the opinions of this from those who've done it before? And how many do you need?! I'll probably get a pack or two of the smaller ones for hospital purposes though, just one less thing to worry about washing when you get home.

September 5th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquifef View Post
I think I'd like to use cloth, but not sure - what are the opinions of this from those who've done it before? And how many do you need?! I'll probably get a pack or two of the smaller ones for hospital purposes though, just one less thing to worry about washing when you get home.
You need about 25 if you plan to wash every other day. There are several sites that do a sample package so that you can try out different styles and see what you like, you have the option to return either everything and pay just shipping, or return what you don't like and keep what you do like and get refunded for what you return. I think the trial period is 2 weeks. If you are interested I can find those deals for you. I definitely recommend trying different styles before investing in a stash of one kind because you might find that the one kind just doesn't work well for your baby.
September 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
For you first timers.. I wouldn't buy too many honestly. You don't know what kind of diapers you will like/hate, which ones baby might be sensitive to, which ones cause a rash, etc.

I have never and will never purchase a pampers product, period. Not a diaper, not wipes, not any of their other products. When my son was born Pampers rolled out a controversial "dry max" lining in their diapers. It caused boils, blisters, oozing sores, and toxic burns on tons of babies. There is a class action lawsuit against the company who claims they've done nothing wrong. My friend's son has permanent scars on his penis from the boils/blisters he got from the pampers. Not only did they put them into labeled boxes, they were mixing them into their other diapers also (swaddlers, baby dry, etc).. as a "trial" without disclosing it to customers. They haven't taken any responsibility for their actions and that speaks volumes to me. Coincidence that all these kids with these horrible burns and stuff all used the same diapers around the country? Nope.

September 5th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Regular
Thanks Anya I'm in England so will have a look for sites for myself, but that's really useful. Will talk to hubby about it!
*Anya* likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquifef View Post
Thanks Anya I'm in England so will have a look for sites for myself, but that's really useful. Will talk to hubby about it!
If you don't find shops that do that kind of deal around you then I'd recommend buying a few dipes of different kinds, they hold up their resell value very well and you can sell what you don't end up liking.
September 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
More than that for newborns. And you have to really think about how much effort you're willing to put in. There are lots of different types. Some take more prep/work (prefolds/covers) and some are just like disposables except you throw them in the wash instead of the trash (All in ones/All in two's). I have tried tons of different types. With my son I loved Bumgenius, Rainshine Designs, Sticky Peas (who doesn't exist anymore), Muttaqin, Goodmama, Thirsties, and a few others. It's all about trial and error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
You need about 25 if you plan to wash every other day. There are several sites that do a sample package so that you can try out different styles and see what you like, you have the option to return either everything and pay just shipping, or return what you don't like and keep what you do like and get refunded for what you return. I think the trial period is 2 weeks. If you are interested I can find those deals for you. I definitely recommend trying different styles before investing in a stash of one kind because you might find that the one kind just doesn't work well for your baby.

September 5th, 2012, 11:04 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
No but I agree it's good to stock up early. At least if you buy a size that ends up being too small a lot of stores will let you exchange. I'm going to make a welcome baby basket for my couple and will be putting size 1's in there.

September 5th, 2012, 11:07 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did a 24 fitted rental service for newborn and it was plenty for us, though we do disposables at night.

Then after that, we had 18 one size pockets for the rest of the time which took us through potty training.

September 5th, 2012, 11:10 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
We're doing cloth and I'm making our own. Bought the fabric already and have about half of the liners cut out so far.
*Anya* likes this.

September 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Atank03's Avatar Veteran
Yes over the weekend we went to Babys r us and they had thier cases of diaper on sale so we bought 2 cases. They only had sizes 2 and 3's.
September 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Regular
I think being prepared is a good idea. But dont go overboard. Some kids dont even use the NB size, and start right in a size 1. Find out your grocery store return policy. A couple stores up here will allow you to return or exchange aftee the regular return deadline, on diapers only, if you have the original receipt.
September 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This thread reminds me that I cannot wait to smell a package of newborn pampers We may start stock piling soon but haven't started yet.

Mommy to 4 boys

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search