did you/will you do the NT scan?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By MommysPocket
  • 2 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 1 Post By plastikmom
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Veteran
I'm really confused about what to do. I want another chance to look at the baby, but i dont know if i want to know any bad news at this stage. I dont think I would do the cvs or amnio, and i dont think i would be a person that would want to terminate if, god forbid, it came back that the baby had downs or some other chromasomal abnormality. But i do worry as my first ended at 21 weeks due to Turner syndrome and i had a miscarriage earlier this year. I do have 1 perfect little 3 year old boy (or he'd be perfect if i could get him to clean up his toys! Hehe). What i really want is to go and be guaranteed great results. But i'm scared with my history and my age (38) that the ratios going to come out high and i'll be freaked out for the rest of my pregnancy.

I also have to mention that i will def be getting a level II ultrasound at 20 weeks so i should find out any possible probs then. So i shouldn't be blindsided at the birth if things arn't perfect. I think i've talked myself outta going to my appt this Tues, but does anyone have any thoughts or experience?
September 19th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Regular
I'm not having NT done, when my midwife offered it I ranted at her... If you aren't going to terminate, and you aren't keen to have a test that can cause miscarriage (1 or 2% likelihood of miscarriage over here, though American website say it's a bit lower - depends on the person carrying out the CVS or amnio), then all NT can do is give you a number that may worry you unnecessarily. On a previous thread someone mentioned a friend who had a 1 in 11 chance of baby being Downs, but that still means that the vast majority are healthy, as her baby turned out to be, and all she'd done was worry about it all pregnancy. My SIL has v v bad learning disabilities (can't talk, autism too), but she is happy and I'm glad she wasn't aborted!

September 20th, 2012, 04:36 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We would never abort or have an amnio.But I am going I do the early screening. For me it's just blood work and an ultrasound at 13 weeks. We had a small chance of down syndrome with DD but everything turned out fine. Dont look at it as you will freak out the rest of your pregnancy, look at it as you will get a chance to prepare, emotionally. And if numbers are confirmed again at your 20 week appointment you can start preparing physically for anything you might need.

September 20th, 2012, 05:03 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
It's not "downs" or "a downs person" or "downs syndrome" it is Down Syndrome and someone with it deserves the respect of being identified as a Human first. They are a person with Down Syndrome

Calling someone a "downs baby" is disrespectful
Twirlbird and KrissyS like this.

September 20th, 2012, 05:13 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Personally, I don't think there's any way around the worry. I think that's just part of the motherhood adventure. Have the test and worry about the results, don't have it and worry about what the results might have been.....
Kennydra likes this.
September 20th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We will do the test. I have done with my others and will again. I like to have all the information I can. For ME if I had a number that said I had a 1 in 11 chance of something I would look at it that I have a 1 in 10 chance of NOT.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 06:49 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I won't do the tests. I know because of my age(35), there may be a slightly increased risk, but I wouldn't terminate, and I wouldn't follow up with any more invasive testing. So, for me, the risks of false positives far outweigh the potential benefits. Besides, at the anatomy scan, they will be able to identify any obvious concerns, and if necessary, I can worry then.
jacquifef likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had this test with any of my pregnancies and I never sat and worried what the results "may" have been.

Mommy to 4 boys
September 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have the testing done with my previous two, but decided to do it this time for an extra chance to see the baby. I am not nervous about it at all and I won't be sitting around waiting for the results. For me I am going into it looking at it as an extra chance to see the bean, any results we get will change nothing. We won't be doing amnio or CVS.

Our boys have CF and my OB said to me "I'm sure you already know this, but the blood test and u/s won't be able to indicate CF" and I told him I knew and he said "there is a test that can find it (CVS) but, and I don't want to put words or feelings in your mouth, but I get the feeling that even if the baby was found to have CF that wouldn't change anything for you". I told him, that was exactly right. I feel fortunate to have an OB who gets and supports our choices and who doesn't beat around the bush. Plus he's British so he has an awesome accent lol.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 20th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
yea thats my thing i dont care if my child is not "perfect" my baby is my baby and i wont abort for any reason they offer you so many invasive tets that can cause mc so i just op out
September 20th, 2012, 10:54 AM
~Isela~
I dont really think that anybody who posted saying "downs" meant anything disrespectful by it. I do understand the point you are trying to get across but I also do not believe that those who posted "downs" did not mean it in a derogatory manner.

September 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Veteran
Thanks for all the well meaning comments. We've talked a little more and decided not to do the test. If anything is not 100% in any area, we will find out in a couple months. I do have a call in to my doc to see if i can have a quick u/s to prove to myself the bean is still there and thriving!

And anyone i may have offended with the language of my post, please know that it was unintentional.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search