Anti body testing?! Update in post 25!

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well Dr. Office just called and want me to come back for more blood work. They said that I tested positive for an anti body but they couldn't tell which one...

So I'm headed up soon but am wondering what anti bodies are being tested at this point? I hope they can give me more info while Im there but wondered what you ladies thought....

UPDATE in post 25. :/

Last edited by MommysPocket; September 27th, 2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Update
September 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Well 4 pokes later I hope they have what they need. Will update when I can get someone to tell me what they are testing for. :/

September 20th, 2012, 08:47 AM
That's weird. I'm pretty sure you can demand they tell you what they are testing for. I would. GOOGLE what the basic prenatal testing they do at first visit is and maybe that can narrow it down! Maybe like rubella or something?
September 20th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would think they HAVE to tell you. I'd have demanded they did tell me before I went in but can you call and ask?? I hope everything is OK!!

September 20th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I asked over the phone and she didn't really know so they were basically just running all the tests again. I figured the nurse would know but she said 'the just draw the blood'. I'm just going to try to forget about it an wait. :/ If I get to crazy I'll be calling the dr.

September 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM
This is a list of first trimester blood tests from the American Pregnancy Association, maybe it's the Rh factor? Did you have that with your other kids?

Blood Type: The blood test will diagnose your blood type. You will either be A, B, AB or O.

Rh Factor: The blood test will also reveal whether you are Rh negative or Rh positive. If you do not have the Rh antigen in your blood, you are Rh negative, if you do have it, then you are Rh positive. This test is important because problems may arise if the mother's blood does not have the Rh factor and the baby's blood does.

Glucose Levels: The blood test is used to measure the body's ability to metabolize sugar and screen for gestational diabetes. If your glucose level is between 130 to 140 milligrams per deciliter of blood, then you healthcare provider will request a glucose tolerance test.

Iron Levels: The blood test will determine if you have iron deficiencies in your blood. If your blood is low in iron, that does not mean that you are anemic, but it does make you more susceptible for anemia. If your levels are low, your healthcare provider may prescribe iron tablets or injections.

Hemoglobin Levels: The blood test will identify the level of hemoglobin, which is the oxygen-carrying power of your red blood cells. The expected level is between 12 to 14 grams. A treatment for anemia will be prescribed if your level falls below 10 grams.

Sexually Transmitted Diseases: A blood test is a diagnostic test used to determine whether you have syphilis, hepatitis B, or HIV.

Rubella (German measles): The results of the blood test will determine if you have antibodies for rubella and whether or not you are immune.
September 20th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you know your blood type? Because it could be related to whether you are Rh-. I am A- so I have to get a shot whenever I'm pregnant to make sure my body doesn't develop antibodies against the baby, I also have to get one after I have the baby so that it doesn't occur in future pregnancies. It could even be your antibodies to different illnesses. Like I found out I am not immune to Parvo, go figure! Hope you get some answers soon.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

September 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
They also tested me for hepatitis antibodies. Just throwing it out as another possibility.

September 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM
tsh32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They did the whole STD scan on me! But the RH factor is very easy to tell, your blood type should not have been difficult to figure out. I'm very curious what they were testing!

September 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks ladies. I found a similar list. I'm not sure what it was. They basically said they will just be re testin me. I've always had problems passing the test the Red Cross does when you donate blood, because I'm never hydrated enough. So I'm hoping it was a false negative or something. I didn't have an problems with the Rh stuff with DD. but from what I've read it doesn't always show with the first baby?? Not really sure. :/

September 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM
tsh32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
RH is based on your blood type, which doesn't change from baby to baby. However, if you are RH- and somehow didn't find out or get your shot w/ your first baby, the antibodies don't kick in until baby #2.

September 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, hopefully whatever it is turns out ok! When will you know the results?

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 20th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsh32 View Post
RH is based on your blood type, which doesn't change from baby to baby. However, if you are RH- and somehow didn't find out or get your shot w/ your first baby, the antibodies don't kick in until baby #2.
That's what I was reading. I've been looking all over for something with my blood type but can't find it. They said results should be back Monday, so I'm thinking they are not too concerned with whatever it is. :/

September 21st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Veteran
Hi I am from the November DDC, just poking around bored on a Friday night.
I have a JKA Antigen that my doctor has been watching closely via monthly blood tests and watching blood flow in a particular part of baby's brain. What doctor watches he reports as a 'titer ratio'. Mine has stayed at 1:1 all pregnancy which is great!! Maybe it is something like that?
September 21st, 2012, 10:46 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Popping in from March DDC- it sounds like Anti M, Anti D, Anti K and things like that they were testing. I have Anti M antibodies and had no idea they were testing all of those during routine blood work and it doesnt always show up in Google search

And ditto about titer levels and monitoring blood flow to the brain

September 22nd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks ladies. Hope to hear back on Monday. I'll have to check into those ones.

September 25th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Have you heard anything back yet? Hope all is well!

September 25th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks for thinking of me.

I didn't hear from them so I called at 3 yesterday and they said the results were still not in. :/ She also said it could take a couple of weeks?? So I asked if it was anything we needed to worry about seems how it could be so long before the results came back. The nurse said we didn't need to worry about anything and that it was probably a very small positive.

So I guess we are in the clear as of now. :/

September 25th, 2012, 07:44 PM
No problem, was hoping you got the results as I'm sure you did too! Keep us posted and prayers that it comes back as nothing!
MommysPocket likes this.

September 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Well I stinking take it all back.

The Dr office just called and while its 'not urgent' they did find something and want to talk to me about it at 8:30 tomorrow. So now I'm in that stupid waiting period were you try not to stress yourself out.

Of course they couldn't tell me anything over the phone so it could be anything. Ugh.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search