Researching baby gear

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mel_Kay
  • 1 Post By *Anya*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Mommy in the Making
How do you research which baby gear you are going to get? high chair, stroller, breast pump, even spoons, cups, plates....there are SOOOOO many options for EVERYTHING! We went to BuyBuy Baby yesterday to pick out a baby shower gift for a friend and I'm feeling totally overwhelmed by all of the options! I think that's probably why I had such a hard time sleeping last night.
DH's face had a look of panic from the moment we walked into the store until we were walking out. At one point I found him in the aisle that had baby NFL jerseys -- the closest thing he could relate too - it was kind of cute!
But really, how have you decided (or how will you decide) between brand A and brand B and brand C and brand D etc....
September 30th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I often look up whatever items on amazon to read the reviews, but as far as researching them farther than that, I have no clue.
Sneetch likes this.

Mommy to 4 boys
September 30th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Super Mommy
Thank goodness I am married to a researching guru because I would be lost if I weren't. My first piece of advice would be to set you budget points that you are comfortable with. Once you do that pic out a few things you like within your budget. Check the safety ratings. Also, amazon had man opinionated people go read reviews. Also, remember the are certain safety standards all items have to meet.
September 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you can test a product (at a store, or someone already has it) that's always a good thing to do. Make sure it fits your life style, if you are into hiking and such don't buy a fancy travel system if you primarily go walking on unpaved roads, you'll need a jogger style stroller and a good carrier For things like car seats I always research safest ones, see which company has most recalls and what are they for, there are certain brands I will not buy because they always have a ton of recalls and they don't seem to handle them very well. I'm also big on buying preferably domestically made or at least not made in china. If there are no other options then I research the best ones. For things like swings and highchairs set a budget and go from there, there are a million of options for that stuff, and honestly more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better. We never had a swing or a jumperoo for our first and she turned out just fine so I don't even think half the stuff out there is really necessary. I hope I'm not confusing you more lol, I remember feeling that way with my first, I basically started looking into things that I liked and not things that everyone got. We never had an infant carrier seat (went straight into a convertible) and never had a travel system, and I never regretted that. The only reason we'll have an infant carrier seat this time is because my sister is giving me hers and it's a really good one.
September 30th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last time I waited until after my daughter was born to buy pretty much everything. I was so overwhelmed when I was pregnant and I didn't know what I would REALLY need. When my daughter was born we only had a car seat, crib and changing table. I had a few outfits and lots of diapers.

Then after she was born we picked up things as we needed/ wanted them. We got her a bouncy seat after a few weeks so we could set her down somewhere and a swing so that we could sit her down somewhere happily. I never got a glider and I seriously regret that because I spent hours every night pacing the apartment because she loved to be moving. We also never had a stroller and that worked out because I ended up getting carriers and that worked for us until she could walk on her own.

This time we are getting a new infant car seat, the same swing we had last time because we loved it and a glider/ rocking chair.

I guess my point is try not to get totally overwhelmed. Think of the essentials and focus on those. I have friends who have gotten a zillion things before the baby is born and they never use them.
September 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
hearts.0nfire's Avatar STPR lover
Definitely if you can test the different options, read up on reviews like others ladies suggested and set a budget. To be honest not everything that's on the baby lists is what you really need at least not right away.

September 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Jaxon04NTaylor08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I base things on my experience with them. I dont know how else to do it now lol. You can ask BTDT moms for advice on a product if you are interested in it but are unsure if its a good one.

September 30th, 2012, 12:18 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can relate. I felt really overwhelmed with my first. There are just so many options, and I didn't even know how to begin to evaluate things, or what I truly needed. I remember the first time we went in Babies R Us...I thought it would be a fun thing to do, just to walk around and look at cute stuff. But my DH was so overwhelmed that he just couldn't cope with it right then. We didn't stick around more than 10 min. I did a lot of reading online, read lots of reviews & buying guides, and read advice from BTDT moms on JM. Eventually we got a better idea of what we needed, and how to decide what was best for us.

Good luck to you. If you ever have specific questions, ask away...I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice/recommendations.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 30th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i spent hours researching a double stroller. haha

*thank you*Kiliki*

September 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know there are allot of options but with carsests and strollers they all have to pass a test so the 30 dollar carseat will have the same safety as the 300 one as for the other options ask around at what people liked and there are all kinds of reviews online for them u want what works for you just relax we still have time. But I will say breast pumps can not be reused. So that has to be bought new
September 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually breast pumps can easily be reused, although you should buy new shields and tubing, but the motor is the most expensive part and there is no reason you can't reuse it
Twirlbird likes this.
September 30th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got my breast pump from my insurance company for free. Its a Madella Pump in Style so a nice one and it was delivered to my door so look into that option.

I agree with ask questions of BTDT moms. I now I have learned FAR more from other moms than anywhere else. Also like many others mentioned honestly you don't need everything. Both of my kids HATED a baby swing. It was a waste for us and frankly it took up a bunch of room. I didn't use a travel system because I found a carrier worked better for me. Things like that. Decide on what you think you want or need and then start narrowing down. Reading reviews from other moms is always a good idea too. It can be overwhelming. Good luck!!

September 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
A lot of it is trial and error once baby gets here. For example, I used a swing with all of my girls, and that was our saving grace at dinner time. However, there are plenty of other moms who don't use the swings or whose babies don't like them.

My best advice would be to ask some other moms who you trust and what they recommend. I have my own brand preference for stroller, car seat, etc., etc., based on what I have used in the past, but that's a personal preference. Like others have said, they will all have the same safety requirements, but ease of use and what serves your needs best is important. Go someplace you can test stuff out. If you get a travel system, try out putting the seat into the stroller and removing it. Collapse the stroller. Several of us have prior kids so we're happy to offer advice.

New picture in progress......
September 30th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Mommy in the Making
Thank you so much ladies!! I'm sure I'll be back with specific questions --- it really helps to get some opinions from the moms on here!
September 30th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did a lot of research on car seats, baby carriers, and cloth diapers. Other than that, we didn't use a stroller, highchair, swing, bouncy seat, bottles, pump, etc. (well I did pump a bit for both girls using the manual pump I was given at the hospital but they never took a bottle so I'm not sure why I did).

For a car seat...do you want an infant seat that you can take off the base and take inside with you? Or do you want a convertible seat that can last from newborn to several years old? That is where I would start for car seats.

September 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
I'll be honest, this is a poor province, my partner makes a really good salary of 40k. So budget is a factor in my decisions. Since we do not have a large selection at all it usually only leaves one or two options, then I go for word of mouth, if none, then reviews. If they are about similar, then cosmetic lol.

I got my breastpump used from my SIL, its a closed system so I didn't technically need to replace my tubes, I got extra ones though.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
September 30th, 2012, 08:49 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is hard! I base it on my budget & reading reviews. I did learn the last time that you can buy great things, but they still get recalled. So many things I had did, but most notably my stroller and her CRIB! It was a drop side, although I never lowered it. She was probably 2 when it was recalled, so old enough to understand & be sad when we had to take her bed back. That was awful. She still remembers & talks about when we had to leave her bed on the sidewalk in front of the store.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search