I don't think we can use our chosen boys name!

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 6th, 2012, 10:21 AM
lucyinthesky
We had chosen Damian, one of my favorite names since I was a child. But today, my family were asking us about names and my brother pointed out that he would basically have the same name as the antichrist child in the omen, just slightly different spellings. I am so in love with the name, and i'm devastated. Do you think it matters? I'm a huge horror movie fan, so I don't know how I didn't realise this sooner!

EDIT - So it's the same first name & surname, both spelled differently though.

Last edited by lucyinthesky; October 6th, 2012 at 04:57 PM.
October 6th, 2012, 10:48 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it were me, I wouldn't let that stop me if I loved the name. It's not like that's the only person with that name.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

October 6th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
If you love the name you go girl! It's your child and to be so happy to have the name you have always loved would be the cherry on top! Don't let anything stop you from doing something you love it's your own personal reasons no one else's!
October 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
lucyinthesky
I just don't want his name to be associated with the antichrist! Lol!
October 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
I wouldn't use the name.

Leslie

October 6th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Not to try to discourage you if you love the name, but that is the first thing I think of when I see that name.
October 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
lucyinthesky
Oh my god, i'm actually crying over this now! Stupid hormones! We were maybe going to use both of our last names, so he'd be _______-Thorne. Would that make any difference? If we gave him a double-barrelled surname then we'd probably drop one of his middle names (we have 2 picked out).... then again, we might have a girl! And.... we have until April anyways!
October 6th, 2012, 12:10 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
What about changing it slightly to Damon?

October 6th, 2012, 12:15 PM
lucyinthesky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number5OnTheWay View Post
What about changing it slightly to Damon?
I love that actually! Ciarán just said "meh.... Matt Damon". I think he's not that into it! Grr
October 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
I totally get your worry... I have such insane name association its crazy. My fiance makes fun of me almost every day because he will mention a name and Im like, "yeah, but what about so and so..."

Im starting to get over it. I think the most important thing is that YOU love the name!!!

October 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
My brothers name is Damien
October 6th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Jaxon04NTaylor08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i would use it. I dont care about name associations. My sons name is Carter and people ask if he was named after the clothing brand lmao. We also really like Madden for a boy right now which of coarse gets associates with the videogame! I say if you love it, use it! Before you know it no one will think of the movie and it will just be his name.
Cortney6983 likes this.

October 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you really love the name then I think you should still use it. I had a similar experience with my daughter's name and I ended up using it anyway because I loved it so much. Luckily you do have some time to still think about it.
October 6th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Super Mommy
Girl, if you love that name then go for it and name your baby it!! We have chosen Benjamin if we have a boy because it was DH's late grandfathers name and I love it. However, I absolutely despise, hate and loath, Ben Roethisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers but I quite frankly don't give a rats arse!!! Lol
linds2012 likes this.
October 6th, 2012, 02:08 PM
lucyinthesky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon04NTaylor08 View Post
i would use it. I dont care about name associations. My sons name is Carter and people ask if he was named after the clothing brand lmao. We also really like Madden for a boy right now which of coarse gets associates with the videogame! I say if you love it, use it! Before you know it no one will think of the movie and it will just be his name.
I love the names Carter & Madden! Madden is on my list actually! Haha, my list of about 50 names! So we have plenty of other options just in case! Just agreeing on one is a huge problem because of my fussy so!

Thanks for the input Ladies!
October 6th, 2012, 03:06 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That movie is almost a decade old and in our kids' generation it'll be an unknown lol. If you love it use it, but if demon child is always going to be in the back of your mind then maybe rethink it.
For me the movie does come to mind (and I've never seen it, just previews lol) there was a girl in my PR that named her boy that and he was adorable. There are also Damien Rice and Damien Jurado that are both brilliant musicians, so there are positive associations too I love the name minus the bad association.
October 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
It really is a personal choice, how much will it bother you if someone mentions it after you gave birth and named him? I know the name has been used for a long time, but when movies are made that many have seen, it sometimes gives names that either good or bad thought for those hearing it. I had to back off of names I really like b/c of things like this.

Right now I love Isabelle but I guess there is one in Twilight? I don't know b/c I never got into the books/movies so I had no idea. Since I never seen the movie I still like the name.

For me I wouldn't name my child Damian, b/c I would be thinking about it all the time. But that is my personal choice, I have seen many names from kids that I would never use b/c I associate them with someone not good, rather in movies, books and even the bible. All my boys have biblical names but there are some I would not use.

In the end it is your baby and you need to be happy with the name, do what makes you happy. Not many like the name Isabelle in my family but, it's my choice.
Kennydra likes this.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
October 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM
melshaz@earthlnk.net's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
If it were me, I wouldn't let that stop me if I loved the name. It's not like that's the only person with that name.
Agree!

October 7th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
We picked the name Damien long before we got pregnant with our daughter. We both love the name. Unfortunately I have become hesistant on the name simply because everyone associates the name with the son of satan. If we use it, will depend on if the baby looks like a Damien to me or not at birth.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
October 7th, 2012, 05:28 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
It is immediately what I think of when I hear Damian. I also feel the same way about the names Aiden and Gage. Both creepy little boys from horror movies. It is one of those things where if you don't care what people think then use it! But if it is going to bother you when people mention it, I would choose another name that is similar.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search