breastfeeding

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2012, 11:49 AM
Regular
Really want to breast feed. I will have to also bottle feed to go back to work. Anyone have any good info on breast pumps/bottles?
December 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did that! Even though I work full time, I was able to keep breastfeeding until about 29 months. I can tell you what worked for me...but I'll have to come back and do it when I have more time and can give a more detailed answer.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 21st, 2012, 07:44 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
You'll definitely want a dual electric pump. And the hands-free bra was a life saver for me!!! I could still work while pumping so I didn't lose so much time.
Cortney6983 likes this.

New picture in progress......
December 23rd, 2012, 10:22 AM
Regular
thanks! what brand did you like? one would think having 3 nieces and a nephew id know more bu i feel so uneducated when it comes to my own pregnancy. ~sigh~
December 23rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
boysarebest's Avatar Veteran
I really liked the vent air bottles I think playtex makes them. I tried them all. Most moms I knew used dr browns or those larger boob shaped ones but for some reason the vent airs worked the best with my second. Each baby is different so I would find one that works and stick with it. My first preferred these random latex nipples we found a the dollar store and of course had a heck of a time finding when we needed more. He only wanted boob though and my second son could have cared less about drinking straight from the tap! He was grabbing food out of our hands at 4 months! He is a huge child though, 2 years old and the size of some 5 year olds! Size 11 feet!!!
December 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I would try multiple different bottles because some babies are picky. My girls always liked the Ventair bottles. As for pumps, I have the Medela and love it. It came in a backpack, which made it easy for carting back and forth to work.

New picture in progress......
December 24th, 2012, 05:49 AM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I worked & pumped, and I loved my Medela Pump In Style. I also recommend trying a few styles of bottles to see what you & baby prefer. We ended up using only the Platex Drop-Ins.

December 24th, 2012, 07:48 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a Medela pump in style advanced, which I highly recommend if you're going to be doing a lit of pumping. It had good suction, and seemed to hold up to LOTS of pumping.

If you're going to have to give bottles at some point, I recommend not waiting too long to introduce them. Some say wait six weeks to avoid confusion, But I've heard stories of babies really struggling or refusing bottles when they waited until six weeks. With my little girl, we had to give her bottles a few days after birth (I ended up in the ER and DH had no choice), and there was never any confusion among breast, bottle or paci. We tried to give her a bottle at least once or twice a week even when I was still on maternity leave, just to make sure she was used to it when she started daycare.

I pumped some while on maternity leave to try to build up a stash of frozen milk. I used Lansinoh storage bags. I liked them because you can freeze them flat & stack them up in the freezer.

As for bottles, we used Playtex DropIns. I agree that it'll probably be trial and error to see what works.

I had great milk supply in the beginning. I went back to work at 3 months, and for a while my supply was fine. Around 5 or 6 months, I started noticing a drop in supply, and I had to work to keep it up. Plenty of water & calories, lots of oatmeal, brewers yeast, pumping And BF as much as possible. But part of my problem was that I didn't have enough time to pump at work. Luckily that will be better this time. The other thing, though, was that my girl started sleeping through the night around that time, so that had an impact on my supply. I tried to get up and pump during the night, but had a really hard time doing that.

We did end up supplementing formula sometimes...not every day, but sometimes one daycare bottle per day. But ultimately I did pump until 12 months. After that, we breastfed at home, and she ate solids at daycare. We continued that for a long time. Eventually we got down to one session before bedtime, and then she weaned around 29 months.

It was a challenge, for sure, but worth it for us.
HalfDozen likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search