We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
So i have had a really long day, and I apologize for not updating sooner.
To start, overall everything looks ok, but apparently I cant just have a normal appointment. It started at 9am. with my ultrasound. The good news is that she is definitely a girl! The heart beat looks good, head shape is normal, and she is measuring right on track! However, it looks like she has a club foot. At this point, it seems like the club foot is an isolated incident, since all the other body parts look normal, but they had us meet with the genetic councilor just to go over what else could be cause a club foot, and let me tell you, there are some scary ones!!! They offered to do an amniocentesis, but I dont feel like the risks of pre-term labor are worth it at this point, but there is also a new blood test that pulls out the tiny bits of the baby's DNA that is in my blood, and checks it for the three most common genetic things, like downs and... (short term memory). I will get those results in 2-3 weeks.
If it is just the club foot, then it is easily correctable, but the treatment will be determined after birth. There is a chance of surgery, or just a brace as the foot bones are growing, and it will be corrected before our little girl even knows that it is a problem!
After leaving the High Risk Dr and the Genetic Councilor, I then went to my normal OBGYN to have my 1 hour glucose test, and my regular check up. The quick pee test shows that I have an elevated amount of protein in my pee, but not hight enough for them to worry, just another thing they are going to keep an eye on. I gained 6 pounds in the last month, which brings my total weight gain to 7! lol
ANYWAY im trying my hardest to stay positive! At this point, there is no reason to think there is anything other than the foot, and that is an easy thing to deal with!!!
**** After receiving all the scary information last week, the Dr. at my OBGYN called today to share that the hospital sent over the results from my ultrasound. She made no hint that the communication from the Drs sounded like anything other than the foot, which is such a relief for me! Obviously, there is still a chance, but I am feeling so much better!!! Also, I passed my glucose test, and I dont know if it was just the anxiety, but am instantly feeling better!!!
Last edited by anjawb; December 26th, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
My DDB when I was preggo with my first had club foot with her son. It was corrected soon after birth and her son is wonderful and healthy today, you'd never know he had that condition! Praying for you. Try not to worry.
I wouldn't worry. I have two friends who had a baby with club feet/foot (one baby had two club feet and the other had one club foot.) Anyway, in both cases that was the only thing wrong with both children and they are fine now. One still needs a brace sometimes but is still able to play sports.
I was born with a club foot. One doctor told my mom I would need surgery but she got a second opinion and that doctor casted my foot at a few months old and changed the cast and stretched my foot every few weeks. I started walking with the cast on at 8.5 months and then had a brace/shoe for awhile after. I've had no other complications, was an avid runner and played sports since I was very young.
What an eventful day!! I'm glad your baby girl looks good except for the foot. Chances are that it really is just that one item. The Harmony and MaterniT21 tests are both fairly new and do exactly what you mentioned. They test for Trisomy 13, 18, and 21, I believe. I would have also declined the amnio at this point. The specialist told me that if we decide down the road that we want an amnio, we can have it done when I'm 32-34 weeks so that then we are only talking about pre-term labor, not the possible loss of a baby. It sounds like you have a really good outlook about this. How's your fiance taking it?