Stressing about my dogs with baby...

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
ashley22pa's Avatar April Mommy
Not how they will do with the baby. I know they will be loving and protective (though I'll always be watching them with him)...but because of the HAIR and MUD they track into my house!! I am not the absolute cleanest person on the planet but I like things neat and clean. Growing up I wasn't allowed to have pets in the house so I am still trying to get used to the fur 3 years after getting our first lab. DH on the other hand grew up with his dog being in the crib with him. I love my pups, but the fur thing is driving me crazy while pregnant!! I hope I'll get over it when baby gets here. I was crying about it today because I said I can't register for anything black or dark brown for baby because it'll just have yellow fur all over it! DH thinks I'm nuts but right now it seems like a legitimate concern to me!! Oh well..I knew you ladies would understand the hormones...

Anyone else concerned with pet cleanliness and baby or BTDT moms w/ pets do you have any advice?

Thank you to PrincessMom08 for my cute siggy!

TTC # 2 August 2014!

December 23rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Super Mommy
Girl you are so not alone! We have three cats and I want to get them shaved. LOL. I have everything for the baby in her nursery at the moment. We put a fancy screen door on her nursery door to keep them out but I still vacuum everyday. I have become obsessive about the cat hair in our home since becoming preggo. I wish I could say once she is here I will prob be fine but I picture myself being worse. UGH!
Missa_Mae likes this.
December 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*LOL* About the cats...

Yeah we had two cats when we lived in the apartment and their hair was everywhere. Especially from the orange tabby that we named "pumpkin".. It was very hard to keep up with keeping the place clear of cat hair. Actually its impossible without a maid.

When we bought the house we decided to give the cats to a workmate of mine because we knew that we wanted to start having children and didn't want to bring them in. I miss my kitty babies.. but now that the baby is on the way I'm ok with the decision to not bring them to the new house. We still get to visit them whenever we want but when I think about all of that cat hair to clean up and keep off the baby stuff ... whew! It CAN be quite the task.
December 23rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We adopted a dog last year, and there is hair everywhere. I was used to nonshedding dogs, so I really was not prepared for the amount of hair she'd shed. With my daughter, we were pet-free, so I didnt have to worry about hair on her things or on the floor where she was laying. Definately a concern for me too!

December 23rd, 2012, 04:15 PM
boysarebest's Avatar Veteran
We have a reddish dog and cat and my boys will sit on them hug them, etc. sometimes their clothes are covered in fur and I've taught them to use those sticky rollers before we go out! It is the worst when they wear dark clothing. Ahhhh the joys of pets! Seriously I won't get any more animals after these 2 pass on. The extra work is what kills me, the sweeping and feeding and walking! It's like every kid we have the pets get pushed farther down the priority list. Sad but true!
~AmazedByYou~ and mademiev like this.

Last edited by boysarebest; December 23rd, 2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
December 23rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
Waiting on #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysarebest View Post
It's like every kid we have the pets get pushed farther down the priority list. Sad but true!

So true! Our family dog has become my dog...although, my five-year-old would walk him, if I let him. My older girls, who the dog was adopted for, seem to think he's "Mom's" dog and the dog thinks so too!

December 23rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Pet hair will not harm the baby if the baby has a allergy then just let stuff that was on the floor go in mouth pet hair is fine even if baby eats some trust me theology put far more nasty stuff in there mouth in the days to come
Twirlbird likes this.
December 23rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have two dogs and a cat, but we have been lucky that none are big shedders. They shed enough that I have to clean it off the brown couch every now and then, but really not too bad. But we had a yellow lab here for the weekend, and I couldn't believe the fur! I am so not used to that. I don't think it will make a big difference for the baby, though. It might bug you even more than it does now, but I don't expect it would be a problem as far as the baby is concerned.

Also, I think it's great to have pets for kids. In my opinion, teaching them a love for animals is a pretty worthwhile endeavor, for lots of reasons.
nameetog likes this.

Last edited by Sneetch; December 23rd, 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
December 23rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We've had indoor cats for the past 11 years so there is always cat hair around. It's not a big deal with a baby. I didn't let the cats sleep with us at night for safety reasons (we tried it for a few nights but my one cat always wanted to sleep on my DD) but we let them sleep in our bed during the day. I just don't find it to be a big deal.
Twirlbird and nameetog like this.

December 23rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We have indoor cats, have always had two or three and never had any issues. Our cats sleep in the bed most nights or in the bed during the day so they do shed on our pillows or in the bed etc but with normal regular washing of my bedding it has never been a problem. I found some cat hair in the cosleeper from time to time but nothing that would harm the baby and regular washing of those sheets solved that too. We have hardwood floors so I have no rugs to worry about vacuuming. I do use my robot vacuum quite often but I don't find animal hair to be a huge issue honestly.

December 23rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I actually read recently that kids who grow up in homes with pets are less likey to get sick or develop allergies. I think it has to do with exposure at a younge age. If I can find the link I will add it....
December 23rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
GraysMama's Avatar AKA marriedc
I have two big dogs. One is a Rottweiler and she sheds like no ones business. The other is a Rhodesian ridgeback and he doesn't shed as much. The shedding drives me nuts but a quick vacuum every day takes care of the problem (I vacuum more every second day now).

I think the shedding is a small price to pay, to see my son with his doggies is priceless. He LOVES them and they love him back. And a little dog hair on them isn't gonna kill them
Sneetch and KrissyS like this.

Siggy by Heather (Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* ) / View My Siggy Gallery // Request a Siggy

December 24th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Excited first time mommy!
I think with everything, there's pros and cons... My fiance and I decided to get a puppy spur of the moment when I was a couple months along. Luckily, he doesn't shed (lab/chow chow mix) but when we got him, he was groomed. Is that an option for the fur for you? I believe in clean, but I also think too clean is bad.

I remember growing up with yellow labs and one thing my mom warned me about our pup is when I was a baby, I ended up in the hospital because the dogs licked my hands and I stuck my hands in my mouth. Not sure what I was exactly sick with, but we're training our Hogan not to lick. (I don't like dog kisses anyway haha)

As far as the dirt, Hogan has huge paws that are a magnet for dirt and yesterday my fiance let him inside and I saw a trail of puppy feet around the dining room table. We're having a boy, so I'm expecting him to go play with the pup outside, but with the amount of swings, chairs, play mats, etc we have for the baby, he won't be on the floor too much. Maybe you can get some play mats that stay off the floor until baby is ready to lay on it? We also have a towel ready to clean Hogan off before he's allowed inside!

You're allowed to stress about anything you want, but don't let the anxiety overwhelm you!
Sneetch likes this.
December 24th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the responses ladies! Sometimes it's just nice to hear that everything will be okay when I'm stressed! I love our labs and I agree that seeing my baby grow up with them will be amazing. I think every child should have a pet, and I would def. not take that away from him due to pet hair. I've also heard about the less likely to develop allergies and get sick plastikmom. I was thinking it prob. won't even bother me after awhile as he gets older it's more just the initial bringing a BRAND NEW CLEAN baby home haha. It makes me feel not alone to hear about all of your pets!GraysMama your story especially since you have big dogs as well...Duke is 85 lbs and Paisley is 80!
Sneetch likes this.

TTC # 2 August 2014!

December 24th, 2012, 06:45 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I despise the fur. I have 3 small longhaired dogs (Pomeranians) and it makes me insane. Shedding on the carpet, clothes, blankets, it's AWFUL. When these dogs are gone, we won't ever be getting another until the kids are like 10.

December 24th, 2012, 06:52 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, we have dark hardwood floors, and the pet hair is impossible. We're down to two pets now, and the spend a good amount of time outside, partly due to the hair situation.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 24th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
We have a Boston Terrier - she doesn't really shed much so I'm not concerned about the hair but I hear you on the mud and other crap she tracks in the house - even after we wipe her paws.

She's tiny too - only like 24 lbs but she's beefy and she gets hyper, which is what we're concerned with. She's not vicious and never barks but she loves to play and I'm just afraid she's going to jump on the baby. Once she gets used to people though she usually just calms down and takes a nap so hopefully that'll be what happens. We have a gate in the kitchen just in case.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

December 24th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have indoor cats and a dog and they are all shed a lot because I like really fluffy pets! I don't worry about the fur too much with a baby because it is just part of life here. I do remember reading that having pets around decreases allergies. If my new baby ended up being allergic to the pets then I would have to get more serious about the fur, but for now I just do what I can. I don't remember it being an issue at all with my other daughter. Although to be fair sometimes I will notice that she is covered in fur as we are about to leave the house if she has been playing with the dog.

I did have a friend suggest to me that we buy all our new furniture in a color to match our dog. I thought that was not a bad idea!
Sneetch likes this.
December 24th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_cat View Post
We have indoor cats and a dog and they are all shed a lot because I like really fluffy pets! I don't worry about the fur too much with a baby because it is just part of life here. I do remember reading that having pets around decreases allergies. If my new baby ended up being allergic to the pets then I would have to get more serious about the fur, but for now I just do what I can. I don't remember it being an issue at all with my other daughter. Although to be fair sometimes I will notice that she is covered in fur as we are about to leave the house if she has been playing with the dog.

I did have a friend suggest to me that we buy all our new furniture in a color to match our dog. I thought that was not a bad idea!
Oh tan is my new favorite color! It HAS to be! We have tan couches, carpet, blankets I even specially ordered my Escape with a tan interior (it is grey so it comes with black typically). I HATE wearing black anymore. Haha.

TTC # 2 August 2014!

December 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
We have a German Shepherd and a cat. Both are indoors. I couldn't believe how much the GS sheds! We try to keep up with the hair, but I feel like its a losing battle. However, having grown up having animals coming out my ears, I really don't stress about it too much. Its just one of those things you get used to dealing with and don't think twice about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search