For those writing a birth plan

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat
  • 2 Post By AngieLMG
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 1 Post By rverrone11
  • 1 Post By hkystar

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2012, 08:06 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Some guidance

Birth Plans: Did you have one? | Baby Gizmo Blogs
December 26th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I don't think I am going to have much of a plan because I get disappointed and upset easy I don;t want to go in thinking one thing and have it go another way! =P i will try to have a regular birth (not c section) as long as i can possible unless either me or baby are in harms way other than that i just want to go with the flow!

December 26th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I did do one in the past, but only once. I just explain to the ob what I want done and so on, there is not much I "can" do differently with having a c-section. I do request the cord is left longer so dh can cut it again, and that the baby is brought to me as soon as possible so I can start bfing right away, we also ask that we can record the birth, which wasn't an issue last time although we did not get the actual birth recorded like I wanted but I think the anesthesiologist was concerned about dh passing out as it was more than I think he was prepared for.

Other than that, I don't have too many requests. I do leave the hospital on day 2 after the c-section so that is not really a birth plan, just something I like to do as I hate being away from my kids and this time I will have a 17 month old waiting for me as well and he hasn't been away from me at night.

I think this time I am just more nervous about the c-section itself as last time wasn't my dream birth, I don't want a repeat of last years surgery.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
December 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a birth plan last time and it is actually what made me switch to a midwife at 36 weeks pregnant. I found a midwife group that has basic policies that align with the birth that I wanted so that was a better match. I am not sure if I will even make one this time.
*Anya* likes this.
December 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran
It depends on what you want. I was dead-set against drugs of any sort (due to my past medical experiences--I know my body doesn't handle meds well, and I figured my baby wouldn't either). So, I had a birth plan that specified what was most important to me. I'm really glad I did. My first doctor wouldn't even look at it and was a total jerk. Needless to say, I switched doctors! Lol. Figure out what you most desire, and write it down! Of course, you do need to be flexible because stuff happens. Good luck
*Anya* and Purple_cat like this.

December 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
No birth plan for me since we are planning a home birth and I can have/do pretty much whatever I want hopefully; and if I end up in the hospital it will be an emergency so whatever is necessary for me an baby then. If I were planning a vaginal hospital birth I would definitely have a birth plan.
KrissyS likes this.

December 26th, 2012, 06:02 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have any plan last time, other than I knew I was open to an epidural. I will probably do the same this time. I do think it's good to think about these things beforehand, though, because if something IS important to you, or if going with the flow stresses you out, it's better to have thought it through beforehand.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a birth plan with my first, and it was followed to a "t". I didn't have one last time because I had a ome birth. I'll definitely be making one this time.
*Anya* likes this.

December 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I'm not making one since I'm also planning a home birth, but I think we will have a transport plan in case it comes to that.
December 27th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had one for #1. The nurses were great about respecting my wishes but NOTHING happened as planned due to the circumstances of the whole birth process.

Advice for FT moms: Be prepared to roll with the punches with respect to your birth plan! Things may not go according to plan and you dont want to set yourself up for the big fall if that happens (I am still grappling with the big fall almost 2 yrs later).
HalfDozen likes this.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

December 27th, 2012, 06:25 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
My birth plan is pretty much: Hope I make it to the hospital in time, avoid drugs for as long as I can (hopefully the entire time!), and try not to punch my boyfriend since he wants to be in the room. Other than that, the MW group routinely practices delayed cord clamping and stuff so... just going with their flow.

December 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I understand that things can come up, but at the same time knowledge is power, empower yourself with knowledge and research so that when doctors come at you with interventions you don't feel victim because you didn't know any better. Be prepared to stick up for yourself, for your birth, for your baby. And don't be afraid to be firm, doctors are not your authority, their interventions are mere suggestion based on their opinion. Have your own opinion too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search