Nipple Confusion

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 1 Post By Sneetch
  • 2 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By vipersmom
  • 2 Post By MaineBean
  • 1 Post By KrissyS
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By jen747

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
So I want to Breastfeed but also pump so others can feed her i am just worried about nipple confusion has anyone had this issue that breast fed and used a bottle??

December 26th, 2012, 08:11 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I've never had that issue. However, I have never fed mine a bottle. That can be part of where the nipple confusion comes in. Also, I would not wait until the recommended 6 weeks to start offering a bottle. I would do it at 2-3 weeks, maybe only 1-2 times per week. It was always my husband or a different family member who fed the baby, and I would leave the room entirely and usually go pump during that time.
Cortney6983 likes this.

December 26th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
what about pacifiers ? do newborns need them or are they pretty easy to calm down ?

December 26th, 2012, 09:23 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
It really depends on the baby. I have only had 1 baby take a pacifier, and she never HAD to have it. It was more of a calming thing when it was bedtime, not on a regular basis. I had one who took her thumb when she was old enough, and the other 2 never really used anything.
Cortney6983 likes this.

December 26th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I never had a problem with it. We introduced a bottle pretty early, I think, because I was having a lot of trouble breastfeeding and I had to supplement to make sure he was getting enough. Eventually, we got the hang of it and he didn't ever need a bottle anymore. But we never had trouble going back and forth when we needed to. He never liked pacifiers. It really depends on the baby. I've only breastfed one baby and it was 6 years ago, so I'm no expert. But I do know it wasn't a problem for us.
Cortney6983 likes this.
December 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son never had a problem taking an occasional bottle when I was away from him. My daughter never took a bottle except for the very first one she ever got. I introduced a bottle earlier with her than my son but she just wouldn't take them, she would scream, we tried several kinds. I didn't work so it wasn't the end of the world it just meant I didn't get away much or for long. My son was a pacifier baby he LOVED his and wanted it my daughter never cared for them and wouldn't take one.
~AmazedByYou~ and Cortney6983 like this.

December 26th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Regular
If you want a pacifier try several kinds lots of babies will be very picky about the pacifiers. And when you find the one... buy lots of them.
Cortney6983 likes this.
December 26th, 2012, 03:45 PM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had no issues with any nipple confusion. We used both pacifiers and bottles pretty early, and James still nursed like a champ until I dried up (due to drop in supply from not pumping enough I believer) at 7ish months. I'm not convinced nipple confusion is real! I mean, I'm sure some kids have issues, but James did not care- he could suck like a champ regardless of what it was he was working on.
plastikmom and Cortney6983 like this.

December 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it all depends on what u read I would say if she gets a good lacth and you are not having problems let her have them same w bottles if u notice her not wanting to nurce stop all bottles and just bf It is allot harder to get milk from breast feeding that's y baby's tend to like bottles more so I think play it by ear and let your mommy instincs tell u what's best
Cortney6983 likes this.
December 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We never had problems with it. I ended up in the ER a few days after birth, and DH had to give her bottles. She never had any issue with confusion. She also had pacis early on. And we breast fed 29 months. I think it totally just depends on the baby.
KrissyS and Cortney6983 like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It wasnt a problem for us either. My sister's wedding was a week after my daughter was born & she stayed with my MIL while I was gone. I think we practiced once that week with a bottle prior to that. I don't remember using bottles again until she was 2 months & I had to go back to work. Like someone else mentioned, it was never me giving her the bottle, so maybe that helped.
Cortney6983 likes this.

December 27th, 2012, 05:09 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Like everyone else said, we had no problems either. If DS was hungry he would eat. It didn't matter if it was pumped and in a bottle or from the breast. I stopped breastfeeding him when he was one and he had no issues with weaning either. Now the bottle, I could not get him to give up!! He was two before we were totally transitioned into a sippy cup!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search