Tdap?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
So I know all about getting the flu shot when pregnant ... and I finally, after weeks of being scared (don't ask me why) I got it today

However, I also got a tdap shot ... for pertussis aka whooping cough. I had never been offered this shot, or told about getting this during pregnancy. The Dr. told me it was important to get this while pregnant because the baby won't get the pertussis shot until they are approx. 6 months old. By getting this while pregnant will give them some immunity to pertussis after birth.

Of course, I got the flu shot in one arm and the tdap in the other and both are sore and killing me right now! But I'm glad I got them, as I keep reading stories of how bad Influenza is predicted to be this year.

Just figured I'd share this with everyone, has anyone else gotten their tdap shot? I guess it's recommended to get after 20 weeks.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

December 26th, 2012, 08:33 PM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
I haven't gotten it yet, but will be most likely at my next appointment! My Dr. also said that any adult that is going to have regular or extended contact with the baby should also get it, as whooping cough is so deadly to infants! It is very serious, and not something to take lightly. I am a fan of parents knowing what vaccines their babys are getting, but I personally believe that this is not one to be skipping!!!

*sad* an 18mo old recently died a few towns over from me...

December 26th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got mine in the hospital after I had my daughter so I'm good. Hubby got his at his yearly physical after she was born too
Sneetch likes this.

December 26th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I got mine in the hospital after I had my daughter so I'm good.
Same. I got mine after DS #2 was born last May. I'm glad to have had it done already.
December 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My husband taught me that if I can completely relax my arm when I am getting the shot it will not be as sore afterwards. I tried it this year for the flu shot and it still hurt going in but after a bit I couldn't even remember that I had had the shot.
HalfDozen likes this.
December 26th, 2012, 11:39 PM
ACMinAK's Avatar Regular
We have had a very bad season with pertussis (whooping cough) this year.. lots of cases here apparently.

I wish I could get one, but I am actually allergic to the vaccine. I had pertussis 3 years ago, it was not pretty.

I did get my flu shot though
December 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My dr hasnt said anything about the flu shot (but with this last round of illness I am wondering if I shouldnt have gotten it)... I am 99% sure I got the whooping cough vaccine when I was in the hospital with dd.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

December 27th, 2012, 07:30 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's definitely worth getting the vaccine, to protect our little ones, as the majority of deaths due to pertussis are among infants. Unfortunately, pertussis is an endemic (common) disease in the U.S., and there are frequent outbreaks. I had it several years ago, and it is NOT fun.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
~Isela~
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMinAK View Post
We have had a very bad season with pertussis (whooping cough) this year.. lots of cases here apparently.

I wish I could get one, but I am actually allergic to the vaccine. I had pertussis 3 years ago, it was not pretty.

I did get my flu shot though

Same here with wanting to get it... But I am also severely allergic to the vaccine. Everybody in my house is vaccinated against it. I hope I domt ever get it.

December 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACMinAK View Post

If you had it you have natural immunity that is a lot better and longer lasting that the vaccine, your baby should get it from you and be naturally protected fro the first 6 months when it is most dangerous

I'm not getting the vaccine, but I don't do vaccines period. And this particular one has been very ineffective, a lot of fully up to date people are still getting the whooping cough, it has a big failure rate.
December 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I asked about it at my doctors office and they said they dont usually do it unless there is a risk ... i had whooping cough when i was young... isnt that a risk??? i do want it

December 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know how long the shot is good for?

I know that my OB said the baby will get the shot at 6 months but is that the only time to get it or is it like the flu shot where you should be getting it every year?

December 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's definitely not a yearly vaccine like the flu shot. One dose of Tdap is recommended for people between the ages of 11 and 64. Then after 65 you might need another booster of it. But every 10 years you should get a Td booster (just the tetanus & diphtheria parts). The recommendation for babies/kids is, I believe, 5 shots in the DTaP series, and then one Tdap booster after the age of 11. The recommendation for pregnant women who have not ever had the Tdap shot is to get it after 20 weeks, preferably in the third trimester.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

December 27th, 2012, 01:59 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortney6983 View Post
I asked about it at my doctors office and they said they dont usually do it unless there is a risk ... i had whooping cough when i was young... isnt that a risk??? i do want it
No that's not a risk (assuming you mean that you had whooping cough, and not the vaccine), that's a benefit because you have natural immunity that lasts 30-70 years. No vaccine would do that for you so consider yourself lucky

Last edited by *Anya*; December 27th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
December 27th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
It's definitely not a yearly vaccine like the flu shot. One dose of Tdap is recommended for people between the ages of 11 and 64. Then after 65 you might need another booster of it. But every 10 years you should get a Td booster (just the tetanus & diphtheria parts). The recommendation for babies/kids is, I believe, 5 shots in the DTaP series, and then one Tdap booster after the age of 11. The recommendation for pregnant women who have not ever had the Tdap shot is to get it after 20 weeks, preferably in the third trimester.
Yeah I got my TD booster I think 3 years ago but my OB said that since it didn't have the Pertussis vaccine in it then it didn't hurt for me to get it again.

Thanks for the info!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search