Birthing Classes

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy
  • 1 Post By AngieLMG
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 1 Post By Sneetch

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Super Mommy
Who is taking them? Also, for the BTDT mom how useful was the class?
January 16th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Not I. We are reading books on Bradley though and I was trying to get into hypnobirthing with no luck.. just isn't for me. Our Doula mentioned setting up a "class" with another couple but not sure if it will happen or how much it would cost and I'm not shelling out more money to her, she's making more than enough as our Doula.
Capeladybug likes this.

January 16th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My insurance offers then but I won't take I plan on taking a nurcing class tho
January 16th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think that we will this time. We took a Bradley class last time and we loved it. We learned so much and felt really prepared for birth. We will look over our materials from the class again closer to my due date.
January 16th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Veteran
I took one last time, and honestly didn't feel like it benefited me at all. But I read EVERYTHING I could get my hands on about pregnancy, so I feel like I'm pretty well-educated. Mostly, they shared info I already knew. Also, it was a traditional course through the birth center, and I was literally the only person who was aiming for (and had) a natural childbirth. A lot of what they talked about just didn't pertain to me... I was definitely the oldest and "crunchiest" gal there. Oh and my DH was still in AK, so I took it with my sister (who is also my best friend), and everyone thought we were lesbian partners. It was hilarious. Hehehe.

PS I have NOTHING against gay people or gay people having children together, fyi. Lol. I just realized how that may have looked after I typed it and posted. It was just super funny to see people making assumptions about my sister and I... we had a lot of giggles over it!
plastikmom likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 05:12 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I took one last time...alone.... and felt pretty pitiful. I was uncomfortable the whole time with all the other cute couples snuggling in the class. DS's father was too busy to come. I didn't really find it helpful though anyway. Talking about pain and feeling pain are two different things in my book, and as a nurse I already knew the basics of childbirth, ect. If we do one this time it will only be because I want to have this experience with my DH and be one of those snuggly couples.....I wanted that so bad last time.
January 17th, 2013, 05:31 AM
Mommy :)
I'm not. I don't know much about the Bradley method but may read into it.

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
January 17th, 2013, 06:19 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last time I took a couple of classes...a "preparing for birth" class, and a "newborn care" class...mostly for the sake of DH, who had not been around births or newborns much at all. I thought they were helpful...moreso for him. The preparing for birth class included a tour of L & D which was nice...they also walked the dads through where to park, exactly where to go and what to do when they got to the hospital, etc.

This time I'm taking Grace to a sibling class.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 17th, 2013, 06:22 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I are definitely taking classes. We have both read a few books as well. We've finished the birthing class , infant CPR and breastfeeding classes. I have found all of them to be extremely helpful and I learned a lot in the birthing classes that I didn't know.

DH and I only have the newborn care class left to take which we start early next week. So far we've both enjoyed all of the classes.
January 17th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
Not sure yet! I am wanting to but not sure if our situation at the moment will let us we are running into money problems and it costs 85$ but my insurance reimburses AFTER the classes are done in which we must go to everything.

January 17th, 2013, 06:59 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
Most of the classes around here are from 6-9 at night, and DF doesn't get home from work until 7 or 8, so we can't sign up for those. The hospital does one on a weekend (literally all day saturday and sunday) which we will do, but they only do it once a month and because of other things, we will not do it till March! I feel like its cutting it a little close, but thats the only one that fits the schedule... oh well.

January 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I went to them with DH and they were very helpful for him and it was nice for me also. Not necessarily stuff I didn't know, but lots about the process of what happens during each stage, coping mechanisms, possible complications, etc.

January 17th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I am not taking a birthing class but I am looking for a newborn care class offered in my area since this is our 1st & even though my SO thinks he knows everything, he really doesn't ... and I am not ashamed to admit that I def. do not know everything about taking care of a newborn.

The hospital does offer an all day Sat class which goes through everything (it's from 8am-5pm) and it's only $45 per couple ... but we don't have a Sat free except for right before my due date.

I am thinking of calling the hospital and just asking if they can schedule me just for a tour ... I would obviously pay for it but I think if I can at least take a look at the L&D unit, the nursery, etc., I'll feel more comfortable about knowing where to do when I go into labor.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

January 17th, 2013, 08:58 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missa_Mae View Post
I am not taking a birthing class but I am looking for a newborn care class offered in my area since this is our 1st & even though my SO thinks he knows everything, he really doesn't ... and I am not ashamed to admit that I def. do not know everything about taking care of a newborn.

The hospital does offer an all day Sat class which goes through everything (it's from 8am-5pm) and it's only $45 per couple ... but we don't have a Sat free except for right before my due date.

I am thinking of calling the hospital and just asking if they can schedule me just for a tour ... I would obviously pay for it but I think if I can at least take a look at the L&D unit, the nursery, etc., I'll feel more comfortable about knowing where to do when I go into labor.

If you will feel more comfortable knowing where you're going after having a tour, I think you'd really benefit from birthing classes. If you understand the process and each stage, and what is normal, etc I think you'll freak out less in labor too. It really is helpful.

January 17th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
If you will feel more comfortable knowing where you're going after having a tour, I think you'd really benefit from birthing classes. If you understand the process and each stage, and what is normal, etc I think you'll freak out less in labor too. It really is helpful.
You're probably right ... I'll have to see what other birthing classes they offer besides the Sat one. I'd hate to take one at a different hospital but that's what it may be ...

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

January 17th, 2013, 10:32 AM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
Did with my first baby - was ok, I kinda knew and ready everything I could no matter what. Everything was pretty smooth with both births. The breathing technique thing went right out the window... im really bad about holding my breath so i'm fortunate to just have quick labor to get it over with.
January 17th, 2013, 11:54 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I took one with my first and her bio-dad. I didn't think I got much out of it, and the breathing, etc. was definitely right out the window. With hubby, I told him we could take one with the 2nd, if he wanted, but he didn't figure we needed it. For me, and this is NOT true for everyone, I'd rather not spend the time in the class since I didn't find it that helpful. It all depends on what is important to you, though.

January 17th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The most helpful part for us was DH learning counter pressure techniques to help me during contractions. That helped me so much during labor. So I would suggest at least learning about that if you don't take a class.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search