Due date changing

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By HalfDozen
  • 3 Post By *Anya*
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By MapleGranola
  • 2 Post By MapleGranola
  • 1 Post By rverrone11
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started this preg due the 17th based on I knew when I got pregnant yesterday's ultrasound I now am due the 11th. What have you all found w changing due dates. I know she'll come when she's good and ready I just wonder
January 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The earlier scans are more accurate for dating. The later the scan, the less accurate. In general, it's best to just stick to what you were told initially, although like you said, the baby will come when she wants to come. Most people don't deliver on their due date anyway.

The due date that my doctor uses (based on LMP), the one I use (based on when I know I ovulated), and the one from my first scan at 9 weeks are all within a few days of each other. My OB doesn't get overly concerned with what the "exact" due date is, since you can't really be exact. But she'll go by those first estimates, regardless of what any later scans look like.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 18th, 2013, 12:38 PM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
I have also always been told that the scans done in the first 12-13 weeks are the most accurate. Last time, my 12-week scan moved my due date by almost 2 weeks. This time, my 8-week scan was within a day or 2 of LMP so they left it as is. My baby was measuring larger than the LMP dating on every measurement at the 20-week scan, but they left my due date alone. Most doctors will not change it once you're past the first 12-13 weeks, unless the measurements are REALLY off (2 weeks or so).

A due date is just an estimate after all. No one can predict exactly when they'll make an appearance.
KrissyS likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Exactly what Kimberly said. With DS2 my initial due date (based on LMP and first ultrasound around 9wks) was June 15th. At my anatomy ultrasound I measured further ahead and the u/s tech said my due date according to his size at that point was earlier, but my OB did NOT change it. Same thing happened at my next ultrasound I had for him. It was a biophysical so it was very in depth and she had me measuring quite a bit ahead as well, but my OB said we were sticking with the original due date because that is the most accurate one.

It's important to have an accurate as possible due date because if for some reason you have to be induced early and they have moved your due date back then baby will technically be even earlier. Did your OB actually tell you he was changing your due date or was it the u/s tech that said that was what they had you measuring at?

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have seen an OB and a midwife and both have always said that they go by either your LMP or the first u/s date since those are most accurate. I have never had a change in my due date even if later scans showed that the gestational age was different. In my first pregnancy I was sad that they didn't move my due date to earlier, but this time I am glad. If you want to give yourself the full amount of time to go into labor naturally, you don't want your due date to get moved earlier.
January 18th, 2013, 01:44 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd insist that the hospital leave it at it's original, that way if you go over you won't be pressured into an induction quite as early. Like others said the earlier U/S is more acurate about estimate a DD.
January 18th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't trust or change my date based on an US at this point. Like others have said earlier US are far more acurate
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
I wouldn't trust changing a date based off ultrasound this late in pregnancy if your earlier ultrasounds were in agreement with LMP or OV date. That's also a week difference which is ALOT in terms of fetal development.

The EDD from all of my ultrasounds after 12 weeks have all differed from my known OV date and from each other but my EDD has remained the same.

January 18th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was like 7 weeks I told them my consp date. The joys of working op shifts of your hubby you tend to know when u got preg when sex is rare lol so by that its the 17th of april my 27 week scan put me due the 11th
January 18th, 2013, 02:11 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you are know your dates then tell the hospital and insist they stick to it.
January 18th, 2013, 02:11 PM
MapleGranola's Avatar Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyS View Post
When I was like 7 weeks I told them my consp date. The joys of working op shifts of your hubby you tend to know when u got preg when sex is rare lol so by that its the 17th of april my 27 week scan put me due the 11th
Did they officially change your due date or say that baby is measuring to be due that day? My ultrasound reports all give an estimated due date based on measurements but it doesn't mean my midwife actually changes it. A week difference is a LOT and means technically that baby may be premature if you are induced for some reason. Most OBs will not change a due date this late because ultrasounds are so inaccurate later in pregnancy
~AmazedByYou~ and Kennydra like this.

January 19th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Changing it at this point isn't accurate at all. Some babies measure ahead and some measure behind. It just depends on the size of the baby. Ultrasounds are known to be off by +/- 2 lbs, so they are really not an accurate way of determining due date at this point.

I measured 11w 6d at my first ultrasound, which was done at 11w 6d, so it was spot on. At my 20 week ultrasound, I was measuring 3 days ahead. My OB has me scheduled for another ultrasound because she's concerned about low fluid levels and because of my fundal height, and I assume baby will measure at least a week ahead by that point. But I have big babies, so I expect to measure ahead (my girls were 9lbs 2oz and 8lbs 13oz).

January 19th, 2013, 04:19 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
the most accurate dating via ultrasound is when the ultrasound is done between 6-8 weeks. Ultrasounds this late are FAR from accurate. If they tried to change my due date now based on an ultrasound I'd fight it.
rverrone11 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search