Attachment parenting

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 03:14 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
Anyone practice this or plan to with this LO?

I already planned to EBF, CD, baby wear, co-sleep, and make my own baby food. I have zero knowledge on positive discipline though since my upbringing was the complete opposite.

Any advice or good reads/websites?

January 18th, 2013, 03:31 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to say that I'm somewhere in between...kind of making my own style, I guess. Like, I definitely plan to EBF & baby wear, some amount of co-sleeping, etc., but not some of the other things, just based on what works for us. But I did want to post this: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...iscipline.html (Books on Gentle Discipline)...looks like a link to a list of resources for gentle discipline. Have you been over to the AP board here at JM? I bet they could point you to some other good info.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 18th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on wering and not co sleeping n bed but co sleeper and maybe cloth diapering well not 100% at start but soon after also disapline dose not have to be hitting and yelling I grew up getting spanked too but kids raised in loving homes w set rules from the start won't need much dis as they know of they don't behave a time out or loss of toy or something will come of It
January 18th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrissyS View Post
I plan on wering and not co sleeping n bed but co sleeper and maybe cloth diapering well not 100% at start but soon after also disapline dose not have to be hitting and yelling I grew up getting spanked too but kids raised in loving homes w set rules from the start won't need much dis as they know of they don't behave a time out or loss of toy or something will come of It
There's a lot more to it than that. There's no CIO, there's no time outs, no "discipline" in the sense that is the "norm" but it also doesn't stress praise.
~AmazedByYou~ and Missa_Mae like this.

January 18th, 2013, 04:15 PM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskk826 View Post
Anyone practice this or plan to with this LO?

I already planned to EBF, CD, baby wear, co-sleep, and make my own baby food. I have zero knowledge on positive discipline though since my upbringing was the complete opposite.

Any advice or good reads/websites?
What is baby wear?
And is co sleep where you sleep with the baby? I'm feeling kinda stupid asking.
January 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Yup wearing baby in a sling/wrap etc and co sleeping is baby sleeping with parents because they stress that baby still has needs at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
I have to say that I'm somewhere in between...kind of making my own style, I guess. Like, I definitely plan to EBF & baby wear, some amount of co-sleeping, etc., but not some of the other things, just based on what works for us. But I did want to post this: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...iscipline.html (Books on Gentle Discipline)...looks like a link to a list of resources for gentle discipline. Have you been over to the AP board here at JM? I bet they could point you to some other good info.
Thanks! I wasn't aware of an AP board, guess I should have looked

January 18th, 2013, 04:23 PM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
Ok cool, I will def. do all of those things... When nursing I found it so much easier to not even have to get up or out of bed just pull up your shirt and go back to sleep. LOL
HalfDozen and mademiev like this.
January 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to say something similar to what ThaiSpice said...I'll do what's right for me & my kids, but I wouldn't label it. I may choose aspects from different parenting styles & mesh them together into our own style.

January 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have my own style too. I wear my babies, cloth diaper, made all my own foods, EBF, co slept/sleep etc but the biggest thing is I just trust my instincts. I know my kids well because I am with them all.the.time and do what I know works for them. My son is far different than my daughter and what worked for him does not with her. Trust your instincts, find the style that works for you and your child, it might not fit the mold exactly. Welcome to Attachment Parenting International has resources
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 05:18 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You could def call me an AP mama, but again I think a lot of people AP without really knowing it. Our biggest success with disciplining was making sure she knew her options. 'Hitting the table with your toy car is not an option. We can roll the car on top of the table or we can drive it on the floor.' The rest just kind of falls into place. dD got to the point where she would ask what her options were when she was ready to I've on and would sometimes even tell me my options, lol.

January 18th, 2013, 05:57 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I lean towards AP definitely. I ebf, co sleep, cloth diaper, no CIO, baby wear, and can I add proper car seat safety lol. Anyways discipline is definitely a tough one for me, I was raised with very loving parents but they did yell a lot and that is something I'm having a hard time breaking. I hate it when I get to that point. I don't spank, but I do use time outs although sparingly and usually I tell her she needs some time to calm down. There is a lot of great literature, I don't have time for books these days but love a good article. I refer to this often, I think I just need to print it out and frame it lol.

When Your Child Makes You Want To Scream: 10 Steps to Calm

There are a lot of good pages on Facebook that often post on the topic, Free Your Kids and Guggie Daily come to mind but I know there are more.
January 18th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We do a lot of the attachment parenting things but I hesitate to label myself with any one style.
January 18th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Kennydra's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think we are some sort of mix of parenting styles. I EBF, co-sleep, baby wear, make my own baby food and am big on car seat safety. The only thing I don't really do is the CD because I can't get DH on board and we are a team . As far as discipline goes though, I do use time out and will take away games/privileges, but I am big on praise for good behavior.

I have been called a helicopter parent as I guess I tend to hover lol, but I am really protective of my babies and don't want them getting hurt!

Thanks *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

January 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Oh and for food I make my own but we do baby led weaning, no purees, I highly recommend looking into it
MommysPocket and nameetog like this.
January 18th, 2013, 07:20 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Oh and for food I make my own but we do baby led weaning, no purees, I highly recommend looking into it
Very interesting!
January 18th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Oh and for food I make my own but we do baby led weaning, no purees
I did purees and even started with the cereals with my son before I was better informed but started to look into baby led weaning with my daughter. I def need to learn more though. With her I kinda just still cooked her foods but not pureed, just did lots of "baby friendly" foods. I'd be interested in any helpful sites or sources you might have
*Anya* likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I did purees and even started with the cereals with my son before I was better informed but started to look into baby led weaning with my daughter. I def need to learn more though. With her I kinda just still cooked her foods but not pureed, just did lots of "baby friendly" foods. I'd be interested in any helpful sites or sources you might have
I started out with purees and cereals too, my daughter wasn't really a fan so we quickly learned other ways lol. I often just gave her some of what we were eating, it was my motivation to use more steamed or baked veggies lol. Didn't really use any sources just winged it. I'll see what I can find to share though
January 18th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's pretty much what I did actually. I did more steamed veg for myself, lots of fruits and I often felt like I was just winging it. It seemed to work fine though. She's healthy and much less a picky eater than my son is : /

January 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DD wanted nothing to do with cereal lol. We did baby led weaning and she started wanting 'meals' around 11 months.

We don't do spanking either (its how I was raised but not how I want my kids to be raised). We started doing time outs until I learned a little more about 'time ins'. It goes along with the options thing. Have them sit with you, calm down, deep breaths and talk about it as much as you an.

DD will get frustrated now and tell me she needs to rest for a minute, its awesome lol. Sometimes she will just come sit with me, other times she will go up to her room to lay down and end up taking a nap. She is very in tune to her emotions and needs and knows how to express them really well for a 3 year old anyways.
*Anya* and nameetog like this.

January 18th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I like the time ins idea, I need to try that on the weekends when my niece and nephew aren't here

and here are some sources for baby led weaning:
Baby Led Weaning | Is Baby Led Weaning the Best Way to Introduce Solid Foods?

Baby Led Weaning - The Mush Stops Here!

and I've heard good things about this book
Baby-Led Weaning: The Essential Guide to Introducing Solid Foods - and Helping Your Baby to Grow Up a Happy and Confident Eater: Tracey Murkett, Gill Rapley: 9781615190218: Amazon.com: Books
MommysPocket and nameetog like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search