I failed for the first time

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By MsRK

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 10:13 PM
shorty123's Avatar Veteran
Hey Ladies,

ok so i went for my glucose screening last wednesday it was a 2 hr and i FAILED funny thing is i failed before i even took the thing.I fasted and didnt eat anything sweet have given up pop for the most part and didnt eat anything sweet for hours....

So i have made a appt for the endocronoligist for friday but my question is for you ladies that have had GD what am i in for???

any help would be great im kinda nervous

Hope everyone is having a happy and healthy Pregnancy

Haylee (June 2002)

Robert (Jan 2004)

Nicholas (Oct 2007)

Blake (Dec 2008)

Skylar (Nov 2010)

Cory (Dec 2011)

My little Premie Maygan
(March 4th 2013) Original due date April 25th

Our newest arrival Justyn (April 12th 2014)
7lbs 7oz born at 10:30am

January 25th, 2013, 01:42 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that you failed but don't fret. You're likely in line for some MAJOR diet overhauls though. It's not just sweets that elevate your blood sugar. It's the bad carbs, fried foods, some fruits, etc. Depending on how badly you failed your fasting test they will get you to see a dietician so that they can try to control your blood sugar with diet changes or you may have to take medicine or insulin to control it.

Again this depends on how bad your fasting numbers are and the doctor you are using. It's very late in pregnancy as well so they may check in on your baby too. How big was your baby at the last ultrasound?

You can do some things starting now to help yourself.. Eat ONLY whole grain or whole wheat carbs. Nothing white! Brown rice is ok too but control your portions on all foods. Stop eating sugar and fried foods as well. If you can, eat 6 small meals a day instead of three big ones. (3 small meals and 3 snacks.. one snack between each meal. Try to eat roughly every two hours).

I know that it can be a little scary but you can PM me for tips or if you have any questions and I will be happy to help. The health benefits of the diet change are great too. I've only gained 3lbs overall in pregnancy and DH has lost his sympathy weight that he gained when I was sick during the first trimester. *lol*

Just listen to whatever the Dr. says and follow it to the letter. Try your hardest not to cheat and you and baby will be fine. *HUG*

GOOD LUCK!
January 25th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I'm so sorry you failed your GD test :-(

I don't know much about GD but like MsRK says above - it really consists of major diet changes. Sometimes I've heard that insulin is required ... but that's not always the case. Def. keep in youch with your doctor and Dietician. Write down all your questions before you go in ...

Good Luck.

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

January 25th, 2013, 07:35 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry to hear that! You've gotten some good advice already, and I'm sure the endocrinologist will have more for you. Hope the appointment goes well today

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Veteran
well I failed this week, I went to the doctors and diabetes center yesterday and they gave me a blood sugar monitor and tons of information on diet and exercise.

I must say that all I seem to have done since getting home is EAT! My numbers have been great, I don't think I will have too much of a hard time keeping them in check.

Although the hardest part is going to be increasing my protein intake. I HATE peanut butter, dont really care for cheese or eggs. Chicken breast for breakfast doesn't sound very appetizing! Nuts! it will just have to be nuts! Just unfortunaly not honey roast ones LOL!
#1- dd17
#2- ds14
#3- ds9
#4- ds8

#5- dd6
#6-ds 1

January 25th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I have mine next Wednesday and am worried =/

January 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Mommy :)
I have never done a two hour one. With the girls I did the 1 h&r and failed it so I had to do the 3 hr one. If it woul have been 2 hours the. I would have failed it be bc my levels were still a tad high after second hour but fine by 3 hr.

With this one I just asked the dr if I could just skip the one hour one and go straight to the 3 hr one. I go next week.

Mommy to

Laycie (August 2007)
Kayleigh (May 2009)
Jaxon (April 2013)
January 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry that you failed the test. MsRK had some great information. Have you gotten a blood sugar monitor yet?

I bought one in my first trimester just to measure blood sugar on my own. I started this pregnancy in the overweight category, which I knew put me at a higher risk so I wanted to stay on top of it. Anyway, by having a monitor I have learned SO MUCH about how my body processes different foods.

Some doctors will have you watch all carbs and others will have you focus on eating lower glycemic index foods. It may depend on what your numbers were. Luckily the GD diet is a really healthy diet for pregnancy so you will be taking good care of yourself and your baby. Let us know how your appointment goes this week.

I passed my 2 hour test but I love talking about blood sugar and testing so you are welcome to PM me if you want someone to talk to.

Oh, and I had a friend who failed the 3 hour test and kept a list on her phone of all the foods that she wanted to eat after she had the baby. It helped keep her going through the end of her pregnancy and by the time her baby was born she realized that a lot of the foods actually didn't sound that good anymore.
January 25th, 2013, 11:07 PM
shorty123's Avatar Veteran
Thank you Ladies for all the advice i go this friday to the doc so we will see what he says the whole diet thing scares me because i dont really like alot of food so im really picky...we will see what they say and go from there tho maybe this will be a wake up call for me tho because i dont eat so well now

You know that was a great question they did not tell me how big the baby was measuring at my last us so i will have to double check that one but couldnt have been too bad because my us read a few days behind my og due date but i will double check on that..

Haylee (June 2002)

Robert (Jan 2004)

Nicholas (Oct 2007)

Blake (Dec 2008)

Skylar (Nov 2010)

Cory (Dec 2011)

My little Premie Maygan
(March 4th 2013) Original due date April 25th

Our newest arrival Justyn (April 12th 2014)
7lbs 7oz born at 10:30am

Last edited by shorty123; January 25th, 2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: answered a question
January 29th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Regular
I didn't fast for mine. My dr said it wasn't necessary anymore. I had a 1 hour.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search