Religion Question about Baptism

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By Capeladybug

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 04:45 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Ok here goes ...
disclaimer this is not a religious debate

I am Greek Orthodox, and my SO is Catholic. We have decided to baptize this baby Catholic. However, I want to ask my sister to be the Godmother (as I am the Godmother to my niece & nephew) but she is not Catholic. So what do I do? Will the Catholic Church allow her to be the Godmother even though she is not Catholic? Will she have to take classes?

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

January 29th, 2013, 05:01 AM
~Isela~
A non-catholic cannot be a god parent for a catholic baptism unless he/she converts to Catholicism. If she were a Catholic then she would yes, have to take classes as well as get a letter from the church she goes to if it wasn't the same as yours saying that is catholic and is a devout member. The letter is what is done in my parish, so I'm not sure if that is universal. But for sure she would have to be Catholic.

January 29th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Super Mommy
It will depend on your actual Catholic Church and also how active you and SO are within the Church. My church is allowing me to,have one baptized and confirmed god-parent and one that is only baptized. However, I,am SUPER active in my church and my pastor knows us really well. If you are showing up at a church to,just have the formality of,a baptism but you and your SO aren't yourselves active in the parish I,would expect the, to be more strict with you.
January 29th, 2013, 06:38 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but I never really considered a godparent to be a religion specific thing? Lily has a godmother, and none of us are active in church. So my take is if you really want her to be a godparent, she can be a godparent regardless?

January 29th, 2013, 06:51 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
...non-Catholic here. I hope you can get it all figured out, though!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 29th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Super Mommy
A "god-parent" doesn't need to be of religious significance if you aren't trying to baptize withing a religious organization. Otherwise, yes, there are rules that need to be followed and sadly sometimes hoops to jump through in you want to bend those rules. In your heart you can have whomever you want, but on the paper and at the actual ceremony there may be a different woman. The fact that you and SO aren't married is making me feel that they will be more strict on the rules. Not trying to discourage you, I just want you to be prepared.
January 29th, 2013, 07:44 AM
anjawb's Avatar Super Mommy
I know that when I was baptized, my godmother was catholic, and my godfather was russian orthodox... and I doubt that my parents would have jumped through hoops since baptizing me was really to make my grandparents happy.

January 29th, 2013, 07:47 AM
HI. I am also due in April, I just never have joined the group or posted....

I just wanted to let you know that I am the Godmother for my friends baby and the baby was baptized in a Catholic church and I am Jewish and it was not an issue. The Priest said that just one of the God Parents had to be Catholic, so I would ask the Priest. She did the whole ceremony and I was there and it was not a problem. I think every church is different.
January 29th, 2013, 07:50 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
Hi there, and welcome!
jen747 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post

I just wanted to let you know that I am the Godmother for my friends baby and the baby was baptized in a Catholic church and I am Jewish and it was not an issue. The Priest said that just one of the God Parents had to be Catholic, so I would ask the Priest. She did the whole ceremony and I was there and it was not a problem. I think every church is different.

And thanks, I was wondering about this because my SO's brother is going to be the Godfather and he is Catholic.

Then again, like Capelady said above, since my and my SO are not married, I feel it may be harder within the Catholic Church to "jump through hoops" so to speak ...

Gonna have to make some phone calls. We are not super active in Church but my SO's parents and Grandparent are very active and well known with the parish, hopefully that will help

Co-Host of the April 2013 Playroom

January 29th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Super Mommy
If Grandma-to-be is active in the church then "sick" her on the Pastor. lol. It really might help!!! Nothing like a determined Catholic grandma-to-be or even better greatgrandma-to-be!!!!
Missa_Mae likes this.
January 29th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Veteran
We were not members of a church when my first DS was born (we had moved recently back to the area where I grew up and my old church had closed). We joined a church and asked to have our son baptized there basically at the same time. My sister is his Godmother and her husband is his Godfather. They told us one godparent had to be a confirmed catholic (my sister is) and the other didn't have to be but on the certificate he's listed as 'Christian Witness' instead of godfather.

January 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
~Isela~
May a Non-Catholic Christian Be the Godparent for a Catholic Child?

Hope this helps

January 29th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm. My brother and his now-ex had their 3 kids baptized in the catholic church. I am not catholic (I don't belong to a denomination), and the Godfather was not catholic either... yet all 3 times, nobody questioned us. I wonder if we just don't say anything, if it's just not questioned? I dunno.

William Jeffery, born 8/1/11
Evan John, born 2/24/13

Visit my blogs.
http://www.anilandcontinuied.blogspot.com/
http://reverendanissa.blogspot.com/
January 29th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
It depends on each church and priest. The Church I was baptized in was fine with one god parent being Catholic. This was my parents second choice of church though because the first required both to be practicing Catholics. LO will be baptized Catholic and both godparents are required to be practicing Catholics at our church.

January 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think your best bet is to ask my dad is catholic and his church is vary strict on rules but I think each runs the way they want so I'd just ask
January 29th, 2013, 05:34 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
As long as one of the godparents is Catholic a non-Catholic can be a sponsor. My husband and I are godparents to my nephew. At the time I was the Catholic and he was not (he has since converted).

January 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
lucyinthesky
Godparents aren't just a religious thing to us. We're both Catholics, Damian will be baptised Catholic. But the godparents don't need to be Catholic as far as I know. I'm my nephews godmother, i'm catholic, but his godfather is jewish. I still have no idea who to pick as godparents!
January 30th, 2013, 05:04 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
The Role of Godparents

January 30th, 2013, 05:46 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
I am Protestant and my sister and BIL are catholic and I am their son's godmother. I had to take a class but it was only one night and wasn't a big deal

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search