Is a baby bath worth it?

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Cortney6983's Avatar Cortney
I am just wondering if buying a baby bath tub is worth it? or do most just take a bath with baby and hold them???

January 30th, 2013, 05:38 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I always planned to get one and just never did. When she was super tiny, we bathed her in the sink...mostly just a sponge bath type situation. Then when she was a little bigger, we did just co-bathe. I found that to be the easiest thing for us. If I were going to get something, I'd get one of those fold-up foam type things that you use in the sink (sorry...not a good description, I know). Maybe someone can remind me of the name of one of them, or I'll try to Google it. Anyway...something that doesn't take a lot of space to store, and that doesn't require you to fill it up and carry/move it somewhere. Also, one that dries quickly/easily, and isn't prone to mildew.
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 30th, 2013, 05:51 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something like this:
Dorel Juvenile Safety 1st Sink Snuggler Baby Bather, Pink :: CitiKids Baby News
Cortney6983 likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

January 30th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We loved our baby bathtub. My husband did 90% of the bath time duties so it was nice for him to have something small. The idea of co-bathing never appealed to me though and babies can be really slippery. I know that lots of people don't use their baby bath tubs but we used ours for a long long time.
January 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know many people don't like them but I do use a baby tub. It is a small plastic tub I fill in the regular tub. I don't carry it and I just tip it upside down to dry after I'm done. Co-bathing never worked for me. Baby it too slippery/wiggly. It was too hard after I got out to dry us both off etc. I know lots of people use the kitchen sink but I just can't do that

January 30th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never used one, I used a sponge like this: Amazon.com: Summer Infant Comfy Bath Sponge: Baby
Cortney6983 likes this.

Mommy to 4 boys
January 30th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I put one On my reg but I may buy something for in the sink my bathtub is half size tub so co bathing won't work. I'd love to see more responses
January 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Veteran
Honestly we used a giant plastic bathtub (like the biggest they make lol) and we loved it. We kept Nate in it on the counter for a long time and it was just easiest (plus it saved water from having to fill the big tub for a while )
Purple_cat and Cortney6983 like this.

January 30th, 2013, 06:43 PM
jen747's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For me, yes, definately. I had a regular plastic one that had a sling in it for when she was tiny, and then as she got a little bigger, she could sit up in it without the sling. I set it inside the tub & just turned it upside down when we were done. Used it for a long time. Co-bathing would never work for me. Like everyone said, trying to hold a wet baby in the tub would make me nervous, but then how do you actually wash yourself, shave and/or wash your hair? Plus I wouldn't want baby in my bathwater. Unless I had someone to come get the baby out for me first, I just don't think I could do it. But it works for other people, so to each their own! Another one of those things you just have to try & see what's best for you.
~AmazedByYou~ and MaineBean like this.

January 30th, 2013, 06:44 PM
May 2013 Cohost
We used a plastic tub on the kitchen counter top with the Summer Infant comfy sponge in it for baby to lay on. Worked great! I felt much more secure with both. In the beginning, you only need to bathe them once or twice a week. The when he outgrew the plastic tub, I continued to use the sponges in the big tub. They absorb water so they stay warm, and baby lays on it in the big tub. You only need to fill the big tub with about 2 inches of water. The sponge is easy to wring out and dries very quickly.

We never did the sink bc 1) it's always dirty with food funk and dishes, and 2) it's a double sink with a divider so it wouldn't have worked anyway.
January 30th, 2013, 08:43 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have this one and used it until she was about a year old, one side has a rise so a small baby can recline and the other side is just for baby to sit and splash. It's definitely easier (and cheaper) to only fill a small tub and not the entire bathtub.
Amazon.com: PRI EuroBath, Pearl White: Baby
January 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We never used one. One of us always took a bath with our DDs.

January 31st, 2013, 05:22 AM
Veteran
We have always used a baby tub. I actually still have that from my kids and was given a newer style one too. So we will use one upstairs in the tub and one downstairs for quick clean up if needed. I have bathed with my kids when we were on vacation and found it difficult as they were pretty slippery. It was ok for once in a while, but I liked the baby tub so DH could bathe them too. This time around DD will help with bathtime so she will use the baby tub.
~AmazedByYou~ and jen747 like this.

January 31st, 2013, 06:52 AM
MaineBean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also had the traditional giant plastic tub. It fit in our divided kitchen sink, so that's where baths happened for a good long time. We used the sling for a while and then just put him on the squishy bottom. Then when he got bigger, we moved the baby tub into the tub in the tub/shower. We only filled the baby bath, but it let us move around a little easier and ease into the big tub. Our big tub would have been too slippery at first.

I agree that I have no idea how to wash myself and the baby if I'm holding them. I tried to co-shower once and it was a disaster! I hate taking baths myself, so I wouldn't have considered that either.

I think it's personal preference. I will say while I like the versatility of the big plastic tub, it is a space hog when not in use. We had a place for it, but it was not as convenient as some of the others the gals have brought up.

January 31st, 2013, 09:22 AM
2XlinkedPHkids
We used one of those big plastic tubs at first, but honestly it just did not work for us. Monster has a turned out tailbone, so every time we rested her against it she would scream because it hurt her bottom. We ended up getting this little super-basic 'chair' thing with a soft sling that I could rest her on, and I co-bathed with her that way. She reclined in her sling-chair in the bathtub with me, and it was easy to hold her in place while I washed myself.

We started co-bathing when she was about when she was about 2 months old and have been doing it every since. SO never bathes with her though. Only I do. If he bathes her, he stays outside the tub and washes her.

January 31st, 2013, 07:34 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry. Ftm here. How does co bathing work? I here stories of baby peeing or pooing in the tub. Does that happen with you in there?
January 31st, 2013, 07:53 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen747 View Post
For me, yes, definately. I had a regular plastic one that had a sling in it for when she was tiny, and then as she got a little bigger, she could sit up in it without the sling. I set it inside the tub & just turned it upside down when we were done. Used it for a long time.
Ditto!

0nce Mia got to old we would co bathe though or since she was sitting by 6 months having her sit. We never bathed in the tub. No dish washer and limited counter space just made it impractical.
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
January 31st, 2013, 07:58 PM
Twirlbird's Avatar Mia and Henry's Mama
Send a message via MSN to Twirlbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by utexas10 View Post
Sorry. Ftm here. How does co bathing work? I here stories of baby peeing or pooing in the tub. Does that happen with you in there?
Co bathing to us was just one of us jumped in the tub with her to bathe. She'd sit on our lap and we'd wash her. Its easier with two people with regards to getting in and out of the tub but we had the bumbo in our bathroom so it wasnt a biggie

Well... if they are going to poop or pee it doesn't matter where they are or what they are doing so yes it happens. Adam never experienced poop but I did 3 times I think in total. Pee, I'd say we both did get a pee bath lol. If they poop just clean em off and you off the best you can, get out and clean the tub and hop back in
John Henry Clifton aka Henry: April 11th 2013

New Signature coming soon
January 31st, 2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I used it with my first but never bothered to get one with the others.
February 1st, 2013, 04:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used a bath tub. I also like the sponge thing. Sorry for the names!! My kids felt comfortable in the smaller tub and it was less for me to lean over into the regular tub. My bath tub sat on the kitchen sink. It's a pain putting it away and all that, but after 3 kids I still have it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search