Bad news

Forum: April 2013 Playroom

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To April 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 2nd, 2013, 02:11 PM
So, I had an appointment with my FNP on Friday morning. She is wonderful, and although she's not an OB, she can do all the main prenatal stuff in a normal pregnancy (there are no doctors I CAN go to, so she's my only option. Luckily, she really is great). Originally, my plan was to fly out of our village March 1 and be in WA for the last month of my pregnancy (this is what I did with my daughter). But things have been different with this pregnancy, and I have been having a lot of concerns. The biggest one is the frequency of my braxton hicks contractions. I've been having them since November, and I know they can be totally normal so I wasn't too worried. At first, they began just in the evenings, around 8:00, lasting until I went to bed. Then they started around 5:00. Then 3:00. Now, I'm getting them around 11:00 every morning. They are timeable, and pretty frequent if I'm up and moving--they will last all day... if I sit and rest? They gradually fade away.

When I told her what's going on she said it seems as though my body is really preparing for labor (which I knew. This is exactly what happened last time, only I was 39 weeks when this all started so it was ok). The bh and all the other issues (one of which is a climbing bp), show that I could really go anytime--the question is will it be tomorrow? Or will baby girl wait 9 more weeks like she's supposed to? We don't know. So, I need to fly out immediately and be near medical facilities and my OB in Washington for the rest of my pregnancy. I'm high risk anyway, for two reasons: One, I had pre-e last time. And two, when I gave birth to my daughter, I hemorrhaged and had an atony of the uterus. I nearly died, and the doctors were barely able to save my life. It was incredibly scary. There is nothing like a doctor looking you in the eye and saying she's not sure they can save your life because you've lost so much blood. I still have nightmares about it. It took an emergency surgery and five blood transfusions, but I made it. Even after that, I bled for four months and had to have another surgery. If I were to go into labor here, the odds are good I wouldn't survive. So, it's not something to mess around with, and I know that logically, ya know? But my heart is not ready for this yet...

My husband and I are kind of reeling and trying to prepare to be gone for waaaaay longer than we had anticipated. This means I have to leave my students, leave our simple little life and our cozy home, and go without pay for a lot longer than we had planned. I'm also just really nervous! I don't know what the OB will say when I get to WA--will I be on bedrest? What if the baby really does try to come early? Am I getting pre-e? How badly am I going to hemorrhage this time? There are just so many unknowns, and I'm upset. I'm disappointed that again, my body is not "doing" pregnancy right. I fly out Tuesday night. Please pray that everything stays ok at least until I get to WA, ok? I'll let you all know what happens when I get there.

February 2nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow...bless your heart! Sounds like you're doing the best thing. Hoping that everything turns out as well as is possible! Definitely keep us updated.

NTNP ~ charting cycles after a loss

February 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The best of luck, hoping that things go smoothly.
February 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hopefully everything is ok! I have been having bh for a couple of months pretty consistently too but I haven't been checked for progression yet. My doctor said they needed to be under 10 mins apart for anything to happen. I had about an hour and a half on Friday at 8 mins apart so I will ask to be checked on mon at my appt. I also hemmorhaged last time but not as bad as what you went through!
February 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Excited first time mommy!
I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling. You'll be in my thoughts and I know everything will be just fine, you're doing great so far!
February 2nd, 2013, 04:34 PM
kimberley's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like leaving early is the right thing to do considering the risks. But I understand how crumby it is to do so. I hope things go the opposite of last time for you! Ive had BH's since like 18 weeks, and they are more intense than last pregnancy. Midwife says its normal, and not to worry. Your uterus just has to work harder to keep in shape after stretching out from the last pregnancy.

Best of luck!
February 2nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Keep us posted. My thoughts are with you, I hope baby stays put and you have a smooth complication free delivery!! Sounds pretty scary but it sounds like you are making the right decision to go early and be near help. Good luck!!

February 2nd, 2013, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy

February 2nd, 2013, 06:41 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Hope baby stays put. But I think you are doing the right thing to be closer to the care you need, should you or baby need it early! As long as you and baby are safe, nothing else (job, ect) really matter in the long run, although right now I know this must be so stressful for you! Keep us posted. I will be thinking of you!
February 2nd, 2013, 07:25 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I agree. You're doing the right thing by leaving early. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with hemorraghing after the birth of your daughter - that is truly scary. I hope you have a better experience this time.
February 2nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Praying. I think its good you're leaving early and with your Dr knowing how things went last time, hopefully that will keep it from happening again, or at least they will be better prepared for similar complications. Hugs!

February 2nd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad you are flying out now so you can be close to a hospital. I hope baby stays put until she is fully ready to come out!
~ Rina
Thanks to JMC1988 for my wonderful siggy

February 3rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
ashley22pa's Avatar April Mommy
I agree flying to WA would be the best choice! Good luck!

Expecting a baby girl EDD July 5, 2015!

February 3rd, 2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks for your well wishes and kind words! I am going to see the doctor by the end of the week (as soon as I get to WA) so I'll keep you posted. My feet have also started swelling up--argh! NONE of this happened with my last pregnancy. Seriously! I'm just staying calm and taking care of business, and have decided not to fret until I see my OB. Thanks again for the support you guys give. I appreciate it.

February 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Oh wow! Good luck and keep us posted!
February 6th, 2013, 10:41 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Good luck on the flight. I do know how stressful it is not to have things go quite as you planned, but clearly, this is the best option for a healthy you and healthy baby. I'm sure everything will fall into place.
Mommy to Jasmine (18), Kirsten (14), Ana (13), Katie (3), Xavier (1), and Gunnar (born 10-15-14)

New picture in progress......
February 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hope things go well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search